GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need vehicle battery replacement recommendation

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Nope, needs to be coded to the car so the charging system knows it is a new battery and charges it correctly. OBD, Carista or VCDS needed to code it.
Okay so 5 minutes plus 30 seconds for the coding change. If he doesn't have an OBDeleven its a worthwhile investment, and he can do all this cheaper than the 300 at the dealer.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I replaced my battery in 2020 and never coded it. No auto stop/start on my car. Havent had a problem

tigeo

Autocross Champion

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I got Interstate battery at Costco earlier this year. It was like 130 bucks once I gave them back my old battery. Took about 10 minutes to swap out and install. It is slightly larger than OEM but fits in the tray fine. You'll just not be able to fit the OEM battery sleeve over it due to the increased size. The battery itself is larger than OEM and indicated to last longer but I can't recall the specs. It is not the AGM style however. That one was something like 250-300 bucks. I said hell no. Those are better for more devices consuming more power on the car. For OEM components (no additional sound system), you will be fine with the regular battery they sell.

SnubbyVW

Car(s)
2019 Golf S
Checked the Costco website (external link to Interstate) for my PR code (J0S) and no battery available. PepBoys lists only one battery for my PR code, an H5 EFB for $260. Battery description notes the requirement for scan tool programming. Guess the $300 at VW for just the battery not so far fetched.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The dealer should have the genuine battery, unless Canada is different. The p/n is 000 915 105 CB. 12V, 58Ah, 340A DIN, AGM. Being US, I don't have start/stop,

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Update: So, the dealer phoned me back. They made a mistake. It turns out it is an AGM battery, not an EFB. But, it still is outrageously expensive. Not only for the price, but the warranty is for only 1 year! I raised that point, and he said he was still digging into it, as it does seem low. An Interstate battery with a one year warranty!

In the meantime, I found what appears to be a wonderful battery with great CCA, and slightly improved AH over my existing OEM EFB battery( I have start stop). Motormaster is the brand. It is a battery from a large retail chain here in Canada. It comes with a 5 year warranty. And, it is about a hundred bucks cheaper than the dealership. The only problem is they won't install it because of the coding issue.

At that point I went to an independent, and they will not install it. They will only install their own which is an Excide EFB with a 3 year warranty. The independent has a good reputation, as best as I could determine. I went with them. The battery is inexpensive, as is the installation charge. I never did go back to the dealership to see whether they would install the AGM Motormaster, as they have a two week waiting period to get an appointment, and no doubt the installation charge would have been way more expensive. And, sounds like the AGM is an overkill, as I have the start stop function and just the original EFB which runs fine.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update: So, the dealer phoned me back. They made a mistake. It turns out it is an AGM battery, not an EFB. But, it still is outrageously expensive. Not only for the price, but the warranty is for only 1 year! I raised that point, and he said he was still digging into it, as it does seem low. An Interstate battery with a one year warranty!

In the meantime, I found what appears to be a wonderful battery with great CCA, and slightly improved AH over my existing OEM EFB battery( I have start stop). Motormaster is the brand. It is a battery from a large retail chain here in Canada. It comes with a 5 year warranty. And, it is about a hundred bucks cheaper than the dealership. The only problem is they won't install it because of the coding issue.

At that point I went to an independent, and they will not install it. They will only install their own which is an Excide EFB with a 3 year warranty. The independent has a good reputation, as best as I could determine. I went with them. The battery is inexpensive, as is the installation charge. I never did go back to the dealership to see whether they would install the AGM Motormaster, as they have a two week waiting period to get an appointment, and no doubt the installation charge would have been way more expensive. And, sounds like the AGM is an overkill, as I have the start stop function and just the original EFB which runs fine.
If you have stop/start, do yourself a favor and get an AGM. Just change it yourself...it's v. simple.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is there any reason you insist on not doing it yourself? Changing the battery in a GTI takes all of 5 minutes. Open hood, loosen 10mm nuts holding on terminals, remove single bolt holding the battery to the tray, and remove the battery. Pop the new one in and off you go.
But you have to remove the blanket

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
But you have to remove the blanket
Could be problematic...
1669311102977.png

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I thought they killed the blanket for Mk7.5 cars? I’m sure I’ll need to change mine again before my stupid Mk8 R shows up, so I can check.

amsr

Ready to race!
I got mine swapped at the dealer. It was like $200 and they did it in the service lane. They said because I was getting the same battery as before I didn't need to code it. Mines a 2017 GTI SE? Truth? Or do I need to code? The battery I got is 000915105DE.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I got mine swapped at the dealer. It was like $200 and they did it in the service lane. They said because I was getting the same battery as before I didn't need to code it. Mines a 2017 GTI SE? Truth? Or do I need to code? The battery I got is 000915105DE.
Same battery shouldn't need to be re-coded. Switching from flooded to AGM or some weird A/h difference, maybe (I don't recall what selections there are in OBD11 on the battery) but swapping out the same battery as before should be no problem.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate