GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need vehicle battery replacement recommendation

R0dzilla7

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
So on another note I drive a 2019 gti manual and asked about swapping the battery at my somewhat local dealer just as an FYI due to the age. I was quoted around 350 for a battery and associated coding. I laughed. Got my free oil change and rolled out. I’ll swap out the same battery and call it a day.

amsr

Ready to race!
So on another note I drive a 2019 gti manual and asked about swapping the battery at my somewhat local dealer just as an FYI due to the age. I was quoted around 350 for a battery and associated coding. I laughed. Got my free oil change and rolled out. I’ll swap out the same battery and call it a day.
Mine just died on my 2017. I am at 85k miles. You probably have a couple more years I'd guess. You can get it tested if you want to see how well its still holding a charge.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
In the end I had it replaced by an independent. They swore by Exide with a 5 year warranty. 3 years no questions asked. 5 years prorated. It was significantly cheaper than the dealership who is confused. The independent told me of one driver whose OEM lasted 11 years. They tested my battery six months ago and it showed strong. But, I drive away from the city in the winter where it would be difficult to get a jump. One just never knows at 4.5 years. I understand they can just go with no warning. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Good call. My GTI and tiguan batteries both died randomly without showing any warning signs, after 4 years after model year on both

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
When the battery in my '16 R went tits-up, it did so right at 24 months, and totally without warning. It was cranking fine and showing no signs of distress - then dead as a fart the next day. I forget who the mfr was but it wasn't a Varta, which my '19 R has, and is 3 years old at this point. VW has a bad habit of using some very sketchy battery OEMs. Varta isn't one of them - always quality stuff.

Part of the problem we're dealing with is a very hot engine compartment, which shortens battery life. When replacing just get the longest full-replacement warranty you can find, preferably in AGM. If you upsize the battery, get the bigger insulation blanket for it - the p/n is buried here in an older thread someplace.