GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need to change modes for exhaust valves to open

CrushTon

2017 Golf R. Stock except for EQT Stage 1 93 tune and Cobb DSG tune.

I run the car in custom driving mode and have everything set to sport except dampers in comfort.

When I start the car and drive around the exhaust valves stay closed indefinitely. If I change the mode to any other mode then back to custom the valves open up. If I turn the car off and back on again it closes the valves again and I have to repeat the process.

Any ideas?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I think that's how it works from the factory, why not just code them open?

CrushTon

I guess it would be nice if I didn't have to. It seems as if the settings in each mode would be as they are supposed to be on startup and not require you to switch to a different mode and back again each time you start the car. Otherwise what's the point of a custom mode?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I guess it would be nice if I didn't have to. It seems as if the settings in each mode would be as they are supposed to be on startup and not require you to switch to a different mode and back again each time you start the car. Otherwise what's the point of a custom mode?
Agreed, similar concept to S mode for the transmission (or Eco mode), it always resets to default after you turn the car off.

CrushTon

I haven't had a chance to try it but does this apply if you leave the car in race mode? Seems like every other setting within custom mode stays the same on start up, as far as I can tell anyways.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I haven't had a chance to try it but does this apply if you leave the car in race mode? Seems like every other setting within custom mode stays the same on start up, as far as I can tell anyways.
If you have it in race mode, turn off the car, and turn on the car, I believe the exhaust and DSG reset to normal driving modes.

CrushTon

Lame, guess I need to get on board with coding. If I were to want to code exhaust flaps open on startup and don't really need to do much more would I be better off with VCDS or OBDEleven?

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Lame, guess I need to get on board with coding. If I were to want to code exhaust flaps open on startup and don't really need to do much more would I be better off with VCDS or OBDEleven?
I only have VCDS so I can't really comment on OBDEleven, although it seems like a good option. I've had the same VCDS cable for 10 years because I first bought it for my MK6 GTI and it still works for MK7.5, no reason to change since it does everything I need and more. If I were to start over, I still think I'd get VCDS only because it seems like it has more capabilities and I'd rather do coding on a computer than phone/tablet.

CrushTon

I only have VCDS so I can't really comment on OBDEleven, although it seems like a good option. I've had the same VCDS cable for 10 years because I first bought it for my MK6 GTI and it still works for MK7.5, no reason to change since it does everything I need and more. If I were to start over, I still think I'd get VCDS only because it seems like it has more capabilities and I'd rather do coding on a computer than phone/tablet.
Excellent. Thanks!