GOLFMKV

Need Tire Advice

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
Trying to decide between:

Michelin Pilot AS 3+

Pirelli P Zero AS Plus

Continental Ex Contact DWS06

Ride comfort is most important as i use the GTI as my DD and travel some rough roads. Dont take it to the track at all.

Also would like great dry and wet grip and smooth handling. Wont use it in snow at all,

Thanks for any and all help!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I have the Michelin and I love them.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had Conti DWS tires on my GTI. Ride was very comfortable and i was very happy with the overall performance for the price. I have not used any of the other tires in any of my vehicle, so cant provide a comparison.

Conti is known to offer $70 mail in rebates three times a year and it would be a great deal if you buy those tires during that sale.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Gf has DWS on her tiggy. They’re awesome. Avoid the Pirellis

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I have had the dws06 on my tdi and now have the AS3+

The AS3+ I would give the edge to in terms of wet weather performance. It isn’t a harsh tire at all but I think it has a firmer ride than the dws06. Then again, the tdi has 17” wheels with a little taller sidewall

They’re both great tires. The AS3+ is a sportier tire than the dws06 in my opinion, but again two different cars and different sizes.

Can’t go wrong with either. The AS3+ is in use as a daily driver and I have no complaints whatsoever. They give you confidence in the wet, are tough to push to loss of grip in the dry.

JWTS

Ready to race!
It's a funny question, because I actually own all three of these right now! Pirelli's are on my Alltrack, I bought the AS3+ for some new wheels, and my GTI came with DWS06, which have about 5K miles on them.

I have a couple of thousand miles on the DWS06, about 15K on the Pirelli's and a ton of miles on a previous set of AS3+. My general thoughts:

Pirelli's: my least favorite. Handling is OK, grip is good. They're louder than I expected and the rounded shape seems to make turn-in a bit vague. They wear well. They're 225/50, so they're going to feel a bit different, mostly I don't like the shape of the edges. Best price of the 3.

Conti: I have the least miles on these. Noisier than the Pirelli's, though they're 225/40 18's. Still not terrible. Pretty comfortable for a 40 series tire. Handling and grip are good, though they feel a bit vague as well. Worked OK in cold weather and didn't kill me in light snow.

AS3+: They feel like a summer tire than you can drive in all temps. Equal to the Firehawk 500 in dry, WAY better in the wet. Drying through mountain passes in 40 degree rain, I have never had as much confidence in any tire--and this is something I do several times a year. Handling is great, turn in is excellent and they're very predictable. Noisiest of the three, and the stiffest ride. Worth the high price, IMO. Had quite a few miles on my last set and they wore well, still handled well when worn, losing just a bit of wet traction.

For me, I'll probably keep the Pirelli's on the Alltrack, and the AS3+ on the GTI. They're all good tires, but the AS3+ are on a different level in terms of handling, IMO, and one of the best all-around tires available. Performance is isn't far off from the PS4S, but they can be used in colder temps and they wear longer. The big advantage to the PS4S is that they're lighter. It really is that good.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
It's a funny question, because I actually own all three of these right now! Pirelli's are on my Alltrack, I bought the AS3+ for some new wheels, and my GTI came with DWS06, which have about 5K miles on them.

I have a couple of thousand miles on the DWS06, about 15K on the Pirelli's and a ton of miles on a previous set of AS3+. My general thoughts:

Pirelli's: my least favorite. Handling is OK, grip is good. They're louder than I expected and the rounded shape seems to make turn-in a bit vague. They wear well. They're 225/50, so they're going to feel a bit different, mostly I don't like the shape of the edges. Best price of the 3.

Conti: I have the least miles on these. Noisier than the Pirelli's, though they're 225/40 18's. Still not terrible. Pretty comfortable for a 40 series tire. Handling and grip are good, though they feel a bit vague as well. Worked OK in cold weather and didn't kill me in light snow.

AS3+: They feel like a summer tire than you can drive in all temps. Equal to the Firehawk 500 in dry, WAY better in the wet. Drying through mountain passes in 40 degree rain, I have never had as much confidence in any tire--and this is something I do several times a year. Handling is great, turn in is excellent and they're very predictable. Noisiest of the three, and the stiffest ride. Worth the high price, IMO. Had quite a few miles on my last set and they wore well, still handled well when worn, losing just a bit of wet traction.

For me, I'll probably keep the Pirelli's on the Alltrack, and the AS3+ on the GTI. They're all good tires, but the AS3+ are on a different level in terms of handling, IMO, and one of the best all-around tires available. Performance is isn't far off from the PS4S, but they can be used in colder temps and they wear longer. The big advantage to the PS4S is that they're lighter. It really is that good.
Thank you very much for the comparison between the 3. When I got my GTI, it had two Pirellis, one DWS, and one BF Goodrich Comp 2-A. It wasn't long before I had to replace them because the Pirellis were just about done for.

Bought a set of AS3+ and have loved them from day 1, but had been curious about the others.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Also would like great dry and wet grip and smooth handling. Wont use it in snow at all
If you're not driving in snow at all, why compromise grip and handling by using A/S tires? Summer performance tires are better at both, and if you buy the right ones, you'll get a nicer ride as well.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
If you're not driving in snow at all, why compromise grip and handling by using A/S tires? Summer performance tires are better at both, and if you buy the right ones, you'll get a nicer ride as well.

Agreed +1 on getting a dedicated summer set of tires.

JWTS

Ready to race!

I hear this a lot... I'm not going to speak for the OP, but I'll tell you why I no longer bother with summer tires: the best UHP all seasons outperform the best UHP summer tires, and the marginal difference between the AS3+ and the best Max Performance tires isn't worth the tradeoff (price, treadwear, and limited amount of time I can use them).

I'm already running a dedicated winter tire. The only way a summer tire would make sense for me would be to run 3 sets of wheels--which I've done in the past. I'm not bothering w/that any longer, given that I see 2 months of warm, dry weather.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
If comfort is your top priority I'd recommend the DWS06s but in my experience here are the pros of each:

Michelins:
+dry traction
+wet traction
+steering response
+wider/meatier look

Continentals:
+snow traction
+comfort
+noise
+price

Both are fantastic tires if you're looking to go the all-season route.

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
I had Conti DWS tires on my GTI. Ride was very comfortable and i was very happy with the overall performance for the price. I have not used any of the other tires in any of my vehicle, so cant provide a comparison.

Conti is known to offer $70 mail in rebates three times a year and it would be a great deal if you buy those tires during that sale.

Thanks man. Any problems in wet conditions or with handling not being very crisp?