GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some advice from the GTI community

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
I've driven a new 2021 GTI Autobahn 6-speed a few times at a few different dealerships. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have a smile. It's a blast to drive. I've had my eyes on this car since way back in the early 80's when I was a teenager but never owned one. I've had Beetles, Jettas, a GLI and an Audi A4 or two....but never a GTI. Now, here I am in my 50's and I have my eyes on an Autobahn 6-speed Tornado Red GTI. I need my stick shift and my upgraded stereo system so that's why I'd go with the Autobahn. I'm perfectly comfortable with the price of the car....yet every time I try to seal the deal I get anxious about the GTI being my primary car. Will I look silly in a GTI as a guy in his 50's? Am I too old for this car? Will I regret buying a red car (even though I still think it's the color the GTI was made for). Will I get bored of driving a car that many see as a "toy" after after a few weeks? Will it feel like "work" to drive compared to a sedan.

Of course I know that everyone I've ever spoken to who owns or owned a GTI says "GO GET IT NOW!!!" It's the car I've always smiled at in parking lots that was just never the right fit (too expensive, too small, not great with a young kid, etc....). Now, all I need to do is say "yes" and it's mine. I honestly can't explain what's holding me back but I decided to join the forum just to hear from kindred spirits. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
50's are in the back mirror and I absolutely love my GTI. Regardless of age, for the automotive enthusiast in the know you'll get the nod of approval. There is something to be said about not being concerned with what others think and doing what makes your heart sing. My last car was a 3 series and although I love the silky smooth naturally aspirated engine and front wheels doing what they are supposed to of pointing car in proper direction and not providing power, it does not have the "fun factor" the GTI has. The GTI is quite refined from a creature comfort standpoint, even with modest suspension mods like lowering springs and Koni shocks is quite comfortable. Whenever I see a red GTI, I think to myself "damn that looks good". Lastly, consider the R. I purchased my GTI in 2014 as I could not wait until the MK7 hit US shores, MK7 R was not out, too cheap to take the trade in hit, and I'm happy with my tastefully modded GTI. The R is something you may consider if you want to be one of the cool kids, IMO well worth the cost for what you get.

Last edited:

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I am 69 and have a 17 GTI Sport 6sp, so I don't think your age is a problem. Also, I don't give a shot what other people think!

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Who cares what anyone else thinks. Buy whatever car you love. You will always regret not getting it. I have seen much older people than you in a RS/STi/R/GTI/ST/CTR...I usually give them the thumbs up and get a big smile in return.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I would have had this car back in my 20s if I could have afforded it (golf III FTW). 20 years later I can finally afford it, so I rock it

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I'm not 50 yet, but look it! In fact this car was/is my future 50th b-day present from my wife. So like the others say, who gives a flying-F**k what others think. If you like it buy it! They are great cars. Actually one of the things I like is that it looks like a mature persons car (as opposed to the Honda CTR) and is quick, especially with a tune.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’m in my 40s.

I’ve had a Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, ans now my MkVII.5

I’ve also owned some very fast and amazing cars on three continents.

I dumped my supercharged G37 for my GTI. Only regret is not flogging it enough.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
@vw83 I agree with everyone else. Who cares what anyone thinks. People of all ages drive the Golf in one version or another. I'm 72 and drive a GTI that has been hopped up to 416 HP. It's a timeless car that hasn't changed looks that much since its inception over 50 years ago. And still looks modern.