GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some advice from the GTI community

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
What the hell. Listen, I'm all for the older folks on the forum. No doubt, I'll be one of them in my future. I'm just so surprised to see that many here. I honestly had no clue. I think that is so damn badass. In my ignorant views I feel like the current 70+ aren't into technology as much although probably have their grandkids showing them the ways. The fact that not only are you guys into technology but active on the forum is really cool. I'm totally going to be one of you guys when I hit those ages.

Awesome stuff and good taste in picking out your cars :cool: (y)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Now I know why other GTI drivers never wave back at me like they did in the Scirocco or Beetle; You’re all a bunch of cranky old guys!

Or we just can't see you waving 😂

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Now I know why other GTI drivers never wave back at me like they did in the Scirocco or Beetle; You’re all a bunch of cranky old guys!

Or we just can't see you waving 😂
What he said. I am lost in my own little world behind the wheel. If I do see someone wave, it's already too late. My reaction time is slower than a CVT.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
What the hell. Listen, I'm all for the older folks on the forum. No doubt, I'll be one of them in my future. I'm just so surprised to see that many here. I honestly had no clue. I think that is so damn badass. In my ignorant views I feel like the current 70+ aren't into technology as much although probably have their grandkids showing them the ways. The fact that not only are you guys into technology but active on the forum is really cool. I'm totally going to be one of you guys when I hit those ages.

Awesome stuff and good taste in picking out your cars :cool: (y)
Old age and treachery will beat youth and exuberance.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Wow, reading all these posts make me feel young at 55 when I bought my first GTI ;)

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I had my first one at 17 - 21 years ago. MK2, 1987; 16 valves of sex. God I loved that thing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've driven a new 2021 GTI Autobahn 6-speed a few times at a few different dealerships. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have a smile. It's a blast to drive. I've had my eyes on this car since way back in the early 80's when I was a teenager but never owned one. I've had Beetles, Jettas, a GLI and an Audi A4 or two....but never a GTI. Now, here I am in my 50's and I have my eyes on an Autobahn 6-speed Tornado Red GTI. I need my stick shift and my upgraded stereo system so that's why I'd go with the Autobahn. I'm perfectly comfortable with the price of the car....yet every time I try to seal the deal I get anxious about the GTI being my primary car. Will I look silly in a GTI as a guy in his 50's? Am I too old for this car? Will I regret buying a red car (even though I still think it's the color the GTI was made for). Will I get bored of driving a car that many see as a "toy" after after a few weeks? Will it feel like "work" to drive compared to a sedan.

Of course I know that everyone I've ever spoken to who owns or owned a GTI says "GO GET IT NOW!!!" It's the car I've always smiled at in parking lots that was just never the right fit (too expensive, too small, not great with a young kid, etc....). Now, all I need to do is say "yes" and it's mine. I honestly can't explain what's holding me back but I decided to join the forum just to hear from kindred spirits. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
My son was stuffed in the back of a Corrado until he was 7.

Get the GTI. Maybe you'll stunt your kids or grandkids growth, but you'll love the car.

My first GTI was at 19. Bought my current one at 50. I plan to keep this one for a while. I love this car, the mk7 is such an amazing car.

Last edited:

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
The GTI is the perfect car for someone who wants a hot hatch and also wants to look mature.

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
I've driven a new 2021 GTI Autobahn 6-speed a few times at a few different dealerships. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have a smile. It's a blast to drive. I've had my eyes on this car since way back in the early 80's when I was a teenager but never owned one. I've had Beetles, Jettas, a GLI and an Audi A4 or two....but never a GTI. Now, here I am in my 50's and I have my eyes on an Autobahn 6-speed Tornado Red GTI. I need my stick shift and my upgraded stereo system so that's why I'd go with the Autobahn. I'm perfectly comfortable with the price of the car....yet every time I try to seal the deal I get anxious about the GTI being my primary car. Will I look silly in a GTI as a guy in his 50's? Am I too old for this car? Will I regret buying a red car (even though I still think it's the color the GTI was made for). Will I get bored of driving a car that many see as a "toy" after after a few weeks? Will it feel like "work" to drive compared to a sedan.

Of course I know that everyone I've ever spoken to who owns or owned a GTI says "GO GET IT NOW!!!" It's the car I've always smiled at in parking lots that was just never the right fit (too expensive, too small, not great with a young kid, etc....). Now, all I need to do is say "yes" and it's mine. I honestly can't explain what's holding me back but I decided to join the forum just to hear from kindred spirits. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
I have owned multiple GTI's & Golf R's since my early 20's. I turned 40 this year and I do not feel any different driving mine today as I did 15+ years ago. You aren't too old and you will not regret it. The only time I ever regretted one was after I purchased a DSG instead of a manual 😁

JVWranicar

Passed Driver's Ed
Just turned 53. Bought my '17 when I was 49 as my third VW and first ever GTI. I will own this car until I'm at least 60.

PS - I look great in this car. :)

Last edited: