GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with euro short shifter install!!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
25 in-lbs is only 2 ft-lbs of torque. But to each their own. I have had a Sigma Six short shifter for 4 years and have had no issue with my nut backing off at 25 Nm. To each their own.
There could very well have been a part revision. I know on my '16 it was less than that, but things may have changed. I'd rather see someone under torque it rather than over torque it. That lever is on there so tightly that it shouldn't back off the splines even without the nut in place. Not that I had to drive mine that way for a week or anything :LOL:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Haha!
It’s 25nm, which is 18ftlb

25inlb is comical....

You sheared yours off cause you were at 25ftlb not 18,
my point of reference = I snapped mine 2 months ago cause I wasn’t paying attention to my wrench and it was at 23ftlb.

before I broke it I had installed it fine with the setting at 18ftlb 3-4 other times.

Last edited:

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
1605906365480.png

ECS short shifter

1605906410917.png

APR

1605906514909.png

Neuspeed

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Haha!
It’s 25nm, which is 18ftlb

25inlb is comical....

You sheared yours off cause you were at 25ftlb not 18,
my point of reference = I snapped mine 2 months ago cause I wasn’t paying attention to my wrench and it was at 23ftlb.

before I broke it I had installed it fine with the setting at 18ftlb 3-4 other times.
Shit, you're right. I stand corrected. Cut me some slack, it's been a couple of years :ROFLMAO:

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Update! Problem was my shift cables have a rubber boot on them. When I popped the end off that left most cable I somehow grabbed that rubber boot and pushed the grommet forwards on it, shortening the cable.

except I couldn’t see that since it’s covered by a rubber boot!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
25 in-lbs is only 2 ft-lbs of torque. But to each their own. I have had a Sigma Six short shifter for 4 years and have had no issue with my nut backing off at 25 Nm. To each their own.

Dieselgeek SS here also and in their video they just said tighten it down but not too hard. They don't even mention torque specs for it.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Does anyone know if a dealer can install the Euro Short Shift for me? I don’t know if any great indy’s near me unfortunately - if anyone in Chicago has recommendations please let me know.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Does anyone know if a dealer can install the Euro Short Shift for me? I don’t know if any great indy’s near me unfortunately - if anyone in Chicago has recommendations please let me know.
It's not difficult, just take your time with it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
They will likely do it. It's a VAG part.

With that said, it's easy to do yourself.