GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with euro short shifter install!!

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Help! I’m installing the European VW short shifter in my 6MT car. I followed shopdap’s diy video but the shifter has no lateral play.

IE, I can only shift into third gear, not over to the right or left to get the other gears.

When I go to the transmission I can move the arm and get it to move side/side and up/down but then it locks again.

What am I missing here? Everything is hooked up properly as far as I can tell.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
barring everything is actually hooked up as you describe... including the cable are properly in, this might help:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
OP, take a picture of your installed SS and post it here but remove your air intake prior to taking the picture.
Yeah especially the side to side linkage, as it sounds like yours is not connected or extremely out of alignment

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
7DBB202A-5316-4585-AAC1-FEC5534349D6.jpeg

Here it is

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I didn’t disconnect that cable at all. I just pulled off the white clip and pushed it out of the cylinder, left the cable attached

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Is the nut holding the short shifter tight? It doesn't look like it to me. Here is a screen capture from the ShopDAP install video. It looks like the stud is sticking out further than yours. And ShopDAP recommends torquing the nut to 25 Nm (18.4 ft-lbs).

1605898881669.png

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup check that the assembly is fully down on the shaft splines. Also cycle through the gear by hand at the trans to make sure nothing is underneath it like a socket that fell or something. Fully down and back is reverse, then up 1/2” is the 1&2nd gate, 3&4 is up another 1/2 (rested) gate, then fully up on the shaft is 5&6th gate

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Is the nut holding the short shifter tight? It doesn't look like it to me. Here is a screen capture from the ShopDAP install video. It looks like the stud is sticking out further than yours. And ShopDAP recommends torquing the nut to 25 ft-lbs.
25 in/lbs not ft/lbs :eek:. Get those mixed up and you'll be spending $300 on a new selector shaft. That stud on the top is very easy to shear off. Mix them up and you'll be using 12x the required torque

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
25 in/lbs not ft/lbs :eek:. Get those mixed up and you'll be spending $300 on a new selector shaft. That stud on the top is very easy to shear off. Mix them up and you'll be using 12x the required torque
Good catch. I updated my reply. Paul states 25 Nm in his video.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Again, it's 25 in/lbs. 25Nm is equal to 221 in/lbs

Listen to the video. Go to the 4:30 mark. At 4:45 he states 25Nm. 25Nm = 18.4 ft-lb = 221 in-lbs. And torque is Force X Distance. Not Distance/Force.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Listen to the video. Go to the 4:30 mark. At 4:45 he states 25Nm. 25Nm = 18.4 ft-lb = 221 in-lbs. And torque is Force X Distance. Not Distance/Force.

I don't care what he says in the video. I followed it 3 years ago and it was just as wrong then as it is now

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I don't care what he says in the video. I followed it 3 years ago and it was just as wrong then as it is now
25 in-lbs is only 2 ft-lbs of torque. But to each their own. I have had a Sigma Six short shifter for 4 years and have had no issue with my nut backing off at 25 Nm. To each their own.