GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help with euro short shifter install!

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Help! I’m installing the European VW short shifter in my 6MT car. I followed shopdap’s diy video but the shifter has no lateral play.

IE, I can only shift into third gear, not over to the right or left to get the other gears.

When I go to the transmission I can move the arm and get it to move side/side and up/down but then it locks again.

What am I missing here? Everything is hooked up properly as far as I can tell.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Help! I’m installing the European VW short shifter in my 6MT car. I followed shopdap’s diy video but the shifter has no lateral play.

IE, I can only shift into third gear, not over to the right or left to get the other gears.

When I go to the transmission I can move the arm and get it to move side/side and up/down but then it locks again.

What am I missing here? Everything is hooked up properly as far as I can tell.

When installing your SS, did you push it all the way down before tightening the nut? Also, did you get the cables all the way in? Take a picture of your installed SS and post it here.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Problem solved. The issue is my shifter cables have these rubber boots on them. Apparently when I took off the most passenger side cable end I grabbed that rubber boot and pushed it on the cable. So when I slid on the new end, I wasn't able to get it on as far as I needed to and I couldn't tell because the rubber boot was in place and covered up the witness marks.

Car was stuck in 3rd gear. Once that rubber boot/grommet was pushed back where it was supposed to be and the cable end put where it needed to be everything was fine.

The car in the video on ShopDap doesn't have the rubber boots on the cables the way my 2019 R does