GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help detailing Q!

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
So short story..bought a 19 Gold R. Paint in good condition. Had it wrapped in Kavaca ppf over the full car. The Kavaca has a layer of their 9H ceramic pro on the film. Just wrapped like 2 weeks ago.

I've detailed my own cars for awhile and follow several reputable detailers that say you can use PnS Beadmaker as a top layer over paint sealants and ceramic coatings. I've used beadmaker over other sealants and have had amazing results as far as going a month or two even between washes and not having much water staining or dirt sticking to the car hardly at all.

Well..I washed my car two days ago with a ceramic infused quality shampoo and topped with beadmaker. Drove through about 5 mins of light snow today on my way to work and this is the result. This is like CAKEDDD in. Any ideas why? I'm literally freaking out. Lol
PXL_20210316_180220462.jpg
PXL_20210316_180223590.jpg

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Assuming caked in means you've already tried washing it again and it didn't wash off?

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Could contact the PPF manufacturer for recommendations to be extra cautious, but I would just try a regular contact wash first.

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
Could contact the PPF manufacturer for recommendations to be extra cautious, but I would just try a regular contact wash first.

Yeah the stuff will definitely come out with a wash. I'm just concerned with ceramic pro AND a high quality too sealant I should absolutely not be getting water spots or dirt like that after one 5-10 minute snow. On my old GTI I used beadmaker on top of sealants all the time and could go almost all winter through rain and dirt and salt and not have the car get that dirty

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Oh yeah, definitely disappointing performance from the product combination. Just thought you were concerned about permanent damage based on the "literally freaking out"

GTI-G

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh yeah, definitely disappointing performance from the product combination. Just thought you were concerned about permanent damage based on the "literally freaking out"

No just super anal about keeping my car clean haha. And I feel like it's gotta be related to the Kavaca film because beadmaker has always performed well on top of various sealants for me.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
How can you install a clear bra with ceramic coating already on it? It would be destroyed the minute you stretched the film when you installed it. AFAIK ceramic coatings are hard...not pliable. Just looks like you drove through a big salt puddle.

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
How can you install a clear bra with ceramic coating already on it? It would be destroyed the minute you stretched the film when you installed it. AFAIK ceramic coatings are hard...not pliable. Just looks like you drove through a big salt puddle.
A detailer will apply a ceramic coating to the film after it’s applied to the car.
Why do you think it was applied beforehand?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Just use bead maker and good shampoo. Ceramic trend makes one wonder how good they are. Bead Maker alone is good. Just make sure to wipe dry to prevent streaks.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I just read it as the film had the ceramic applied beforehand.
I have PPF with ceramic over it, works well. Ceramic (SIO2) paint coatings water spot due to their chemistry. That's why people are moving to graphene products as they have much less SIO2 and therefore will water spot less. Toppers are used as a temporary defense to protect the ceramic coating from water and should be re-applied often based on how they perform. Beadmaker, which I have a gallon of, will dissipate/wear off rather quickly, so keep an eye on it. I'd prefer to use something better like TW Seal and Shine, TW Ceramic coating, Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1, 303 Graphene Coating spray. I have the later on my wife's Passat and it performed amazing this winter as a topper over Adam's Ceramic Coating. Good luck.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Ceramic coating ok.
my concern was these ceramic infused items.
mic you want ceramic coating, use a coating. The rest I think is lipstick on a pig.

sherbet

Ready to race!
I just read it as the film had the ceramic applied beforehand.
I have PPF with ceramic over it, works well. Ceramic (SIO2) paint coatings water spot due to their chemistry. That's why people are moving to graphene products as they have much less SIO2 and therefore will water spot less. Toppers are used as a temporary defense to protect the ceramic coating from water and should be re-applied often based on how they perform. Beadmaker, which I have a gallon of, will dissipate/wear off rather quickly, so keep an eye on it. I'd prefer to use something better like TW Seal and Shine, TW Ceramic coating, Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1, 303 Graphene Coating spray. I have the later on my wife's Passat and it performed amazing this winter as a topper over Adam's Ceramic Coating. Good luck.

Bead-maker sucks, all of these products are watered down and really are just a waste of time and money.

Try Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz or Kamikaze Collection Overcoat. Pricey, but high quality, highly refined chemicals are not cheap to make, and often are hard to source unless you look at manufacturers overseas.

FWIW, the Graphene coatings are really just a marketing thing. They generally contain less than .05% of graphene. The water spotting issue is due to the inorganic compounds in a lot of coatings. Hardness is generally sold as a good thing, however, that hardness is what causes things like water to etch into the paint. Many of these coatings are not flexible enough, that is where the problem lies.

I am very deep in the auto detailing industry, have been a part of it for the last 20 years, coatings are not bullshit, but they MUST be properly installed and properly maintained. Like anything else on the car, you have to care for it the right way or it will not perform as it should.

My suggestion to OP: find a light cleaner, something you can buy off the shelf, like Gyeon Prep. Buy Shine Supply shift soap, take a look at Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz or Kamikaze Collection Overcoat for maintenance. Next wash, use gyeon prep after you dry the car to remove the beadmaker. Then stack with one of those two toppers. Esoteric sells them both. DO NOT use ceramic infused soap. Stacking all these random layers on top of the PPF and Coating is just going to diminish the performance of the coating.

If you want proof: I coated with Kamikaze Zipang in December 2018 when I got the car, which is a very high grade, expensive coating made with a blend of organic compounds to make it flexible, and partially self healing. It is my daily, I commute A LOT. These photos were taken this week, 60k miles after the coating install, 2.5 yrs, have not touched it with a polisher since I initially did the coating. This is easily 20 washes, and 60k miles!!!

I am using shift soap, and a modified version of the kamikaze overcoat after washes, that is IT.

Attachments

• IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8079.jpg
    IMG_8079.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8080.jpg
    IMG_8080.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited: