GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

need help deciding on keeping 2015 or upgrade to newer

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
no only owe about 6k on it, no issues really excpet worried about shit cbreaking, i had the waterpump replaced at 25k the thermostat houseing replaced at 59k plus numerous leak in coolant lines, top timing belt cover leaked (around 450) and had to replace that , now last week had another coolant leak or two costing me around 450, so im concerned about the longevity of my 2015,

Oh I hadn't seen this. Your car hasn't had a good run in its first 60K miles, I wouldn't be too confident in the next 60K now that you're out of warranty.

Get a new car man lol

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I traded my 2015 S DSG in for a 2019 S DSG last fall and I enjoy the standard LSD, extra stock HP and R spec brakes. This 7 speed DSG seems "lazier" than the 6 speed DSG in my 2015. I mostly run in S mode and it really wakes up the car. Love the 6/72 bummer to bumper warranty.

It's "lazier" in the sense that it kinda drives like a torque converter lol. I actually really enjoyed it, way more than the DQ250 in my 2015 GTI. That even had a Uni TCU tune and I still didn't like it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A local here in Charlotte traded a 2019 R with 522 mile on it for an RS3 this week. No clue what the dealer wants for it, but that might be an option.

A fresh set of suspension and a real LSD on your old gti would dust an R on the track for 35k less so there’s definitely several routes you can take to change things up.

My car is overdue for suspension and the LSD is planned as well. I already have ST40 up front and R brakes in the rear.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
A local here in Charlotte traded a 2019 R with 522 mile on it for an RS3 this week. No clue what the dealer wants for it, but that might be an option.

A fresh set of suspension and a real LSD on your old gti would dust an R on the track for 35k less so there’s definitely several routes you can take to change things up.

My car is overdue for suspension and the LSD is planned as well. I already have ST40 up front and R brakes in the rear.

This was what I suggested earlier. And if he wants better interior stuff, he can upgrade to MIB2 and get the 8" screen for like $2K. He can also get the Helix soundbox for $400 and then he has a system that's better than Fender. If he wants the headlights he can get Helix/Ed's and choose either the 7 R look or the 7.5 replicas, for like $800.

Add the diff, suspension, brakes, MIB2/helix sub, and lights together and i'm estimating 8K total including labor if he's paying a shop. That's 8K for everything he could want out of a new car besides a warranty and some safety features. That new car would be 25-30K depending on trim etc. So that's a 14-22K delta.

Throw another 2K to the side for maintenance for the next 100K miles and he's got another 100K of driving ahead of him for AT LEAST 12K less.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

This was what I suggested earlier. And if he wants better interior stuff, he can upgrade to MIB2 and get the 8" screen for like $2K. He can also get the Helix soundbox for $400 and then he has a system that's better than Fender. If he wants the headlights he can get Helix/Ed's and choose either the 7 R look or the 7.5 replicas, for like $800.

Add the diff, suspension, brakes, MIB2/helix sub, and lights together and i'm estimating 8K total including labor if he's paying a shop. That's 8K for everything he could want out of a new car besides a warranty and some safety features. That new car would be 25-30K depending on trim etc. So that's a 14-22K delta.

Throw another 2K to the side for maintenance for the next 100K miles and he's got another 100K of driving ahead of him for AT LEAST 12K less.

This was my plan when I decided on an LP (requirement for me because my MKV had the projector lights and loved them) non-PP base model S 2015 a few years ago. I could choose the upgrades I wanted in the future depending on what I wanted to use the car for. We just paid it off a couple of months ago, so I intend on keeping it for as long as I can at this point, or until I get worried about a catastrophic failure that would cost more than the car's value to replace. I'm only at 44k, so I'm hoping that's a while from now.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
Oh I hadn't seen this. Your car hasn't had a good run in its first 60K miles, I wouldn't be too confident in the next 60K now that you're out of warranty.

Get a new car man lol

so keep it or get rid of it? lol
i mean maybe itll be fine for the next 60k, im just worried about it

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
so keep it or get rid of it? lol
i mean maybe itll be fine for the next 60k, im just worried about it

If it's been a shitbox under warranty, it's a shitbox out of warranty. My first GTI drank oil, and the tensioner slipped at 30K, grenading the top end. Fixed under warranty. Then the waterpump went. Then the throw out bearing went and it needed a new clutch. The dealer gave me a hard time about the clutch because I was 21 at the time and they were basically saying it wouldn't be covered under warranty EVEN THOUGH there was a TSB my VIN was under, because I was young and they suspected my habits were the reason. So I traded the car in for an MK7. Never had a warranty claim in 5 years and 115K miles across two MK7 GTIs.

Longwinded way of saying get out of the car if it's been bad so far. Get a new one with a good warranty. Maybe go for SE w/ Experience Package for DCC :)

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
If it's been a shitbox under warranty, it's a shitbox out of warranty. My first GTI drank oil, and the tensioner slipped at 30K, grenading the top end. Fixed under warranty. Then the waterpump went. Then the throw out bearing went and it needed a new clutch. The dealer gave me a hard time about the clutch because I was 21 at the time and they were basically saying it wouldn't be covered under warranty EVEN THOUGH there was a TSB my VIN was under, because I was young and they suspected my habits were the reason. So I traded the car in for an MK7. Never had a warranty claim in 5 years and 115K miles across two MK7 GTIs.

Longwinded way of saying get out of the car if it's been bad so far. Get a new one with a good warranty. Maybe go for SE w/ Experience Package for DCC :)
so probly a dumb question , theres a used car company here, has nice gti rabbits 2019 used, but they are lemon buybacks, they says that the cars are fine and are fixed , and retain orig wsarranty, only has 1200 miles on it, but they list the lemon buyback on the title,
bad idea right??

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I too have an early 15 purchased in 2014. No way would I sell it. I know it is a good car as no problems, rattles, etc. Not going to chance getting a problem car along with car payment as it is paid off. I have it dialed in with $10K of nice mods, MIB2 infotainment unit, etc. No way, love the car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
so probly a dumb question , theres a used car company here, has nice gti rabbits 2019 used, but they are lemon buybacks, they says that the cars are fine and are fixed , and retain orig wsarranty, only has 1200 miles on it, but they list the lemon buyback on the title,
bad idea right??

Probably a bad idea, but it depends on what the issue is. It was probably the stalling issue, which they have a fix for now.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
how is price on lemon? if it's good I would consider it...only know the lemon title always affects price. If you keep a long time it's good for you, if you sell after a few years it's only OK as your low buy in is matched by low resell. Keeping it 7+ years drops the value so much that cost is spread out and doesn't matter as much.

odds are lemon was stalling issue...that seems to be fixed.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
bad idea right??

You have to find out the reason for lemon. If it was anything other than MT stalling, i would not even consider it.

If you are planning to keep this vehicle for long, then lemon title might not be a big deal (as resale value might not be an issue)

Last edited:

Krocket

If you are planning on upgrading, I wouldn't go with another GTI. I would go for the R or S3. I have a 2015 PP with an EQT tune and I love it, but I would love AWD. I have been looking at upgrading and the R and S3 are what I'm looking at. I am in Colorado so the AWD would be key but also tired of getting smoked by AWD cars off the line because of traction.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
You could keep your GTI and get something fun for the weekend...

As an example I recently picked up this... it’s def more fun than my GTI however I would hate to daily it.

My recent Miata purchase

Last edited: