GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

need engine builder recommendations

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Wouldn’t this be the machine shop’s responsibility? Perhaps they saw forged piston and thought they’d done a million of them so tossed the instructions
Yes, it would be there responsibility to do that. I'm guessing they thought your pistons were drop-in ready and did nothing to the piston rings.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Yes, it would be there responsibility to do that. I'm guessing they thought your pistons were drop-in ready and did nothing to the piston rings.
If that is the case then it really sucks because the shop is well known for being the go to local place.
Other than sounding terrible, is it detrimental to the life of the engine or piston? I’ve tried researching this.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
If that is the case then it really sucks because the shop is well known for being the go to local place.
Other than sounding terrible, is it detrimental to the life of the engine or piston? I’ve tried researching this.
Honestly, not sure. Without having the correct P2W clearance and rings gap, you'll probably get a lot of blowby.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
This is one of the reasons (although it's more of a hassle) I'm more inclined to ship my engine to Thomas @ BBT, FFE, or Pagparts. All 3 obviously very versed in the nuances, requirements, etc of building these engines correctly. I'll take the slight headache on the front end to avoid potential issues down the road.
Is the engine just noisy on start up or even when warmed up?

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
This is one of the reasons (although it's more of a hassle) I'm more inclined to ship my engine to Thomas @ BBT, FFE, or Pagparts. All 3 obviously very versed in the nuances, requirements, etc of building these engines correctly. I'll take the slight headache on the front end to avoid potential issues down the road.
Is the engine just noisy on start up or even when warmed up?
Only on start up. Doesn’t eat any oil. Runs great.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
is it still running or are they tearing it down?
Pulled pan. Saw metal as I have been previously. Pulled some main and rod caps and bearings look great. Going to pull the head monday. No sign of abnormal heat or problems in the lower end

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Update. Bearings are trashed. Rods 1,2 and 3 bearings are good. Rod 4 bearing is messed up. Also last two main bearings are trashed same area as cylinder 4. They seem to think there was some sort of vibration causing the wear. No smoking gun. No signs of any detonation anywhere. Possibly a little wear on one intake cam journal.

Attachments

• C8539466-7621-456A-A1EF-739F2BD40AC0.png
    C8539466-7621-456A-A1EF-739F2BD40AC0.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 76ACC8F5-EC28-4EF7-BFA0-BC0AD375D11A.png
    76ACC8F5-EC28-4EF7-BFA0-BC0AD375D11A.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 72F9A479-F90F-48C0-9D3B-0967C9CDE6C1.png
    72F9A479-F90F-48C0-9D3B-0967C9CDE6C1.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 73BFB924-0A50-4F23-873E-1CAD82329DC5.png
    73BFB924-0A50-4F23-873E-1CAD82329DC5.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 65

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Update. Bearings are trashed. Rods 1,2 and 3 bearings are good. Rod 4 bearing is messed up. Also last two main bearings are trashed same area as cylinder 4. They seem to think there was some sort of vibration causing the wear. No smoking gun. No signs of any detonation anywhere. Possibly a little wear on one intake cam journal.
I have to assume they'll cover that then. No detonation and all.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Interesting. I wonder what caused it.