GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Clutch Upgrade Advice!

19R

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyone have advice/personal experience with the Sachs Stage 1 (425tq) and the Southbend Stage 2 Daily (400tq) for their Mk7/7.5 R?

Can those handle stage 2 power on 93?

Would I need a clutch with a minimum 450tq rating for a standard EQT Vortex turbo?

I’d like to keep my setup as a dual-mass flywheel to avoid chatter.

Thanks!
A83AE357-2BB8-413F-A415-3BE1862BCDF9.jpeg

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
I have a 1.8 gsw 4motion with an is38 and supporting mods. My Sachs stage 1 clutch just went out after about 40k miles even though the my tune only calls for 334 lb/tq. Decided to go with South Bend Stage 2 Endurance w/ SMF this time around. I would probably look into Stage 3 kits if you're going the hybrid turbo route.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I don't think those would be good options if you plan on going Vortex. Look into Ringer Racing if you want DMFW

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Ideally, you'll want a Ringer Racing Stage 4.

Check out our clutch write up!

https://eqtuning.com/blogs/technical-write-ups/dave-talks-about-clutches

I have it with the dual mass, LOVE IT! Basically stock feeling clutch but with plenty of handling power. I have had a number of aftermarket clutches (big power, and also single mass options), and absolutely no complaints.

With the standard EQT Vortex you should be fine. Grab a HPFP - I think I might do this since I might not be able to get my hands on a RS3 till 2024...

I chose Ringer Racing before EQT started carrying it, and I was super happy to see that they started carrying it which shows it is a quality product. Mike Hood is good too @ Ringer if you want more info on goals / combos

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I ended up going with the Southbend Stage 2 Daily and it's a bit chatty. Not horrible mind you but, still not exactly stock quiet. It doesn't bother me enough for it to be a detractor though. Still breaking the clutch in so maybe it'll quiet down a bit...?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I ended up going with the Southbend Stage 2 Daily and it's a bit chatty. Not horrible mind you but, still not exactly stock quiet. It doesn't bother me enough for it to be a detractor though. Still breaking the clutch in so maybe it'll quiet down a bit...?
Heavier gear oil will quiet it down. It also makes the shifter notchier when warming up though