GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Advice

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I originally bought this car to be my first modified car. My friend has been saying that the MK7 TSI isn't a platform to modify.
His reasoning:
1. No LSD, so all the power and no way to get it to both wheels.
2. The automatic 6 speed, he thinks it may not be able to handle much of anything.
3. Its not a manual, so no control over shift times.

He suggests instead of refinancing and dropping my payment INSTEAD getting a GTI, Ford focus ST, or Veleoster R-Spec/N.

Can I get an opinion that is not from a WRX owner? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
  • Were you already considering refinancing?
  • How much do you still owe on your vehicle, and what is the mileage/year/condition (for trade or private party)?
  • What you do you want out of the vehicle? (track weapon/ drag strip/ stance lyfe yo)
  • Do you have the income to mod it the way you want if you get a more expensive car?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
1. I was gonna take 2k and refinance with my credit union to drop my payment to around 220 a month
2. I owe 14k on an 56k mile 2016 golf tsi (id probably trade it in)
3. A very fun daily driver no intention on tracking it, maybe take on friends or canyon carving.
4. EHH a difficult question, i was thinking of saving more for a bigger down payment to eat the negative amount.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Looks like you're going to be paying Golf R money for a GTI. They'll give you $6K for the car, then the $8K you still owe will get rolled into the next car. In NY, you can score a 2017 CPO GTI for around $19000. Once you add taxes, title, etc, you're probably looking at $23K. Add the $8K, and you're financing $31K.

It hurts a bit less if you sell Private Party. You could get $8500 for it, and that's already a significant win.

I say get some sway bars, wheels, lower it, and be happy with what you have. After that, save aggressively for your next purchase. Damn, I'm getting old... :ROFLMAO:

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Hey, he's the one trying to get you to blow more money. If he wants you to be faster, bitch needs to give up the keys.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Is the tsi something you can put an is20 turbo into and apr tune it?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That was my original intention. Is20 on facebook market place for around 300. :)

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im not sure what else is required for that setup but i couldn't see your total being more than $1500 unless you go catted dp and tcu tune to boot.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Makes zero sense to buy a more expensive car while you're trying to "drop" your payments. (Am I reading that right, by it really saying extending your loan term?)

Why are you trying to refi? Do you have an abhorrent apr currently?

Like you said in your answer to gptuner's 4th question, save money for a future down payment on a better car. If you have some funds, go buy that IS20, get the APR tune, and watch your friend's mouth drop as you pull away with ~300whp :).

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Makes zero sense to buy a more expensive car while you're trying to "drop" your payments. (Am I reading that right, by it really saying extending your loan term?)

Why are you trying to refi? Do you have an abhorrent apr currently?

Like you said in your answer to gptuner's 4th question, save money for a future down payment on a better car. If you have some funds, go buy that IS20, get the APR tune, and watch your friend's mouth drop as you pull away with ~300whp :).

Well I have only had the car for 6-7 months and I have a 4.9 interest rate.. I was gonna dump like 2k and lower my payments and interest rate while also lowering my payment terms.

I originally loved this car before the recall issue that ended up taking 2 months and resulted in the dealership fucking my car up six ways from Sunday. Granted it's fixed now but I can still see the pry marks and paint patches.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
2. I owe 14k on an 56k mile 2016 golf tsi (id probably trade it in)

Did you already roll negative equity into the Golf when you bought it? That's a lot to owe on that after owning it for 6 - 7 months.

Refinancing is fine, as long as the refi doesn't extend the loan. Nothing wrong with that.

Trading in to a different platform, you would loose an absolute stupid amount of money. Like someone else said, you'd be lucky to get half of what you owe to trade it in. That's just throwing away $7k - $8k.

Keep the car, refinance if you want if it will save money.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Did you already roll negative equity into the Golf when you bought it? That's a lot to owe on that after owning it for 6 - 7 months.

Refinancing is fine, as long as the refi doesn't extend the loan. Nothing wrong with that.

Trading in to a different platform, you would loose an absolute stupid amount of money. Like someone else said, you'd be lucky to get half of what you owe to trade it in. That's just throwing away $7k - $8k.

Keep the car, refinance if you want if it will save money.

should I even invest into the platform I have? Or be miserable till I can jump out of it?