Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You can customize ANYTHING. :ROFLMAO:
1590675157850.png

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
While it's probably not the best financial decision, VW is offering 0% APR for 72 months(new cars) and 0% for 60 months on CPO. If you're going to jump ship, now's a good time, but you're not going to be anywhere close to 220/month.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
should I even invest into the platform I have? Or be miserable till I can jump out of it?

That's a call only you can make. Plenty of people invest into the 1.8 TSI platform. Throw a used IS20 on it, and you have a zippy little car. Is it going to be better than a GTI\FoST\WRX? Not at all. But it will be better than what you have. Or don't invest in it, and just deal with it.

The problem with getting into a new platform, is you have so much negative equity. It's not like you only have $1k of negative equity. You have more than half the car. As Gptuners pointed out, you're going to end up paying $30k for a $20k car to switch.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Agreed with Acadia.

First, don't know how you bought a 2016 base Golf for ~$15k. Like others have said, you probably had some negative equity rolled into that. Not sure.

Regardless, you're already in a bad financial situation. Trading this in, you're losing about $8k off the bat. Not to mention your increased debt for a more expensive car.

Keep it. Pay it off quickly, assuming the debt is your highest interest debt. If not, pay off your highest interest debt, probably credit card, then go in order.

I didn't put any money into my car til I had the cash to pay for it which is why it's taken 4 years to finish modifying (finish....really....not even close 😂)

That being said, if you have to do something, just grab a JB4 and tune it (you'll get most of your money back from selling it later on). You can do an over the shelf (OTS) tune which will get you more power, but at a higher cost you can't recoup. Put some springs to lower it. Grab some cheap used wheels and tires. Austin's being sold on here all the time. Also check Audizine for Audi A4, A3 wheels.

Those 3 things will completely transform the car and might change what you think of it. If you were close, I'd let you drive mine to get an idea of what a base Golf can be.

Anyhow. Good luck regardless.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
When I got the car the total loan was 16k flat, for 260 a month. I might just refinance it with my bank or something.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
...but you're not going to be anywhere close to 220/month.

When I got the car the total loan was 16k flat, for 260 a month. I might just refinance it with my bank or something.
Cards face up on the table, so you can make the best decision possible:

IMG_20200325_133225.jpg

It was $2K cheaper without VW financing, but this is what I just gave for a Pure White 2019 GTI S manual.

Shipping from Maryland to Kansas tacked on a bit, but the 0% financing and deferred payments helped offset that a little.

1590680023453.png

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

It was $2K cheaper without VW financing, but this is what I just gave for a Pure White 2019 GTI S manual.

Shipping from Maryland to Kansas tacked on a bit, but the 0% financing and deferred payments helped offset that a little.

Solid deal!!! But that is 63% more than $220 :)

Only the OP knows what he can afford, but that was kind of my point, 0% for 72 months goes a long way to making this possible, assuming he could afford the extra 140/month.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Solid deal!!! But that is 63% more than $220 :)
For sure. I was just trying to reinforce your post.

Sometimes the numbers sound better until you're inking the documents at the dealership, so I figured I'd give him real numbers to look at.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
For sure. I was just trying to reinforce your post.

Sometimes the numbers sound better until you're inking the documents at the dealership, so I figured I'd give him real numbers to look at.
And I appreciate it... Anyone know is the tcu can be modified? That is actually where most of my issues reside...

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

IMG_20200325_133225.jpg

View attachment 174812
Yeesh, that's on a 6.5 year loan and without rolling over his negative equity on the car. It is a great example of seeing actual numbers!

I'm not singling you out, but as a general statement the trend towards these long car loans is getting scary. 0% makes it not as big of a deal, but there's plenty of people who don't own cars for 6+ years (ex: the OP asking his question) and will roll over any amount left onto a new loan and repeat the cycle again in a few years.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I'm not singling you out, but as a general statement the trend towards these long car loans is getting scary. 0% makes it not as big of a deal, but there's plenty of people who don't own cars for 6+ years (ex: the OP asking his question) and will roll over any amount left onto a new loan and repeat the cycle again in a few years.
I agree. I'm 38 and this is my first new car, second car with warranty, and second car not purchased in cash. I tend to buy cheap cars (under $7K) and pay down debt aggressively; I'm not planning on having this loan that long, regardless of the 0%. The wife and I have finally gotten to the point where we can breathe a bit. We weren't going to have another car payment until we paid off my wife's student loans. We got the final 100K paid off in the last five years, so we can afford a car payment for a year or two.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The nice thing about scoring a '19, even with a 6 year loan, is the peoples warranty should cover the majority of the term unless you go over mileage.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So I originally bought this car to be my first modified car. My friend has been saying that the MK7 TSI isn't a platform to modify.
His reasoning:
1. No LSD, so all the power and no way to get it to both wheels.
2. The automatic 6 speed, he thinks it may not be able to handle much of anything.
3. Its not a manual, so no control over shift times.

He suggests instead of refinancing and dropping my payment INSTEAD getting a GTI, Ford focus ST, or Veleoster R-Spec/N.

Can I get an opinion that is not from a WRX owner? :ROFLMAO:

My opinion is your friend's conclusion is wrong.

There are plenty of 1.8 tsi modders on golfmk7; they're just outnumbered by GTI people by a large margin.

Someone ran a 13.1 sec quarter mile with a 1.8t auto (tuned). There are many tunes for the 1.8 from apr, unitronic, eurodyne, burger and others.

With the exception of the front struts, GTI suspension parts are interchangeable and there are aftermarket shocks/struts/coilover options from koni, bilstein, kw, st, sachs, bc racing, and more. Any swaybar that fits the GTI fits the golf, as do springs.

For the activities you anticipate, I seriously doubt the auto or lsd puts you at a meaningful disadvantage...and you'll never have to worry about the money shift.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My opinion is your friend's conclusion is wrong.

There are plenty of 1.8 tsi modders on golfmk7; they're just outnumbered by GTI people by a large margin.

Someone ran a 13.1 sec quarter mile with a 1.8t auto (tuned). There are many tunes for the 1.8 from apr, unitronic, eurodyne, burger and others.

With the exception of the front struts, GTI suspension parts are interchangeable and there are aftermarket shocks/struts/coilover options from koni, bilstein, kw, st, sachs, bc racing, and more. Any swaybar that fits the GTI fits the golf, as do springs.

For the activities you anticipate, I seriously doubt the auto or lsd puts you at a meaningful disadvantage...and you'll never have to worry about the money shift.

There's a couple of guys in the forum running low 12's with the 1.8.