GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need advice on timing service and rms replacement

slip

Hey guys. I'm in need of a little advise. I have done a good bit of research on both of these topics using the search feature but need to clear up a few things. My 2010 GTI has 125,000 miles on it with the old style tensioner and block 93 is reading is reading 4.55 during idle and will go up to 5.2 if I give it a little throttle (yes I know it's a ticking time bomb). So I'm planning on having a full timing service done on it. I will be using a small indy shop who has done several of them before and he quoted my $375 for labor which I thought was very good. I can buy my own parts and am looking at this kit https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/ultimate-timing-chain-kit/06h198004kt/ Does anyone have experience with that kit? Are there any parts that it doesn't come with that I will need? I have heard some say that you need to replace the timing cover while others say they reuse it without issues. What say you all?

The other thing I will be having done is the rear main seal replaced (it's leaking). On other threads I have seen this https://xlr8performance.com/i-37265-vw-audi-billet-rear-main-seal-for-tsi-engine.html recommended several times instead of using the oem replacement. I noticed that shopdap stopped selling it because of leaking issues due to installation problems. So I'm not sure which route I should go. Thoughts? Are there any other parts I need to purchase besides the seal and bolts (basically what the kits come with)?

One last thing. With having both services done is there anything else I should have replaced as preventive maintenance? I have already done plugs, coils, all filters, and a dsg service. Anything I should mention to the mechanic to look out for while these areas of the car are apart?

Sorry for the long post I just want to make sure everything is done right the first time. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Drew8

I just did my timing chain service @147k. It had the updated tensioner, but the chain was stretched. I was seeing -5.2* at idle in block 93.haha I actually used that exact kit. I also reused the cover, but I was VERY careful removing it.

The lower cover bolts are one time use according to the service manual. Also the engine mount and mount bracket bolts are torque to yeid as well. I replaced those for piece of mind. That kit didnt come with the oil pump chain tensioner which I did as well for piece of mind. Not sure how many people do it. With me having about 150k I wanted everything to go another 150k.lol

I also replaced the crankshaft seal that's in the lower timing cover. If you get a new cover it will come with it. During the job have them check the upper cambridge to see if the screen tore out. Mine was torn and I found it sitting in the cylinder head hole it aligns with.

There is a fairly large o-ring in the cambridge that the adjust magnet go in that I would suggest replacing. As well as a seal in the upper cover along with the upper cover gasket that the kit includes.

I'm pretty sure the flywheel bolts are a one time use bolt as well. Didnt look at the link to see if they are included. That's all the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I would look at a different kit because it uses aftermarket non OEM Bremmen parts for the chains and guides which I believe are the most important parts to get OEM for. Also you can reuse the lower timing cover if you don't bed it but I bent mine trying to get it off as did many others so it was nice to have one on hand. I know people do reuse the lower timing cover bolts but I got new ones since they are cheap. Also check the condition of the cam bridge screen. Mine was blown out and I found the metal screen sitting in the engine block oil passage. You have the option to remove the rest of the screen or replace entire cam bridge. This screen can cause major damage if it gets in engine.

Also I recently did a rear main seal on my car. I ended up going with the new revision OEM rear main seal since its $40 and its its redisgned so the sealing flange lips now face inwards to the crackshaft so now if the crankcase is pressurized it will actually seal better on the crank shaft instead of blowing out easily. No leaks yet with it. I read about too many ppl having leaks online with the IABED seal and conflicting install instructions on the forums so I decided to just go with the OEM type B seal. Otherwise youll really just need new flywheel bolts for that job.

and yes +1 is your rear main seal went and youve never replaced the PCV might as well do that too.

Drew8

I would look at a different kit because it uses aftermarket non OEM Bremmen parts for the chains and guides which I believe are the most important parts to get OEM for. Also you can reuse the lower timing cover if you don't bed it but I bent mine trying to get it off as did many others so it was nice to have one on hand. I know people do reuse the lower timing cover bolts but I got new ones since they are cheap. Also check the condition of the cam bridge screen. Mine was blown out and I found the metal screen sitting in the engine block oil passage. You have the option to remove the rest of the screen or replace entire cam bridge. This screen can cause major damage if it gets in engine.

Also I recently did a rear main seal on my car. I ended up going with the new revision OEM rear main seal since its $40 and its its redisgned so the sealing flange lips now face inwards to the crackshaft so now if the crankcase is pressurized it will actually seal better on the crank shaft instead of blowing out easily. No leaks yet with it. I read about too many ppl having leaks online with the IABED seal and conflicting install instructions on the forums so I decided to just go with the OEM type B seal. Otherwise youll really just need new flywheel bolts for that job.

and yes +1 is your rear main seal went and youve never replaced the PCV might as well do that too.
Good call on that kit.. I said I had used the same one but was mistaken. Mine was the ECS Ultimate kit with all OEM components. I wouldn't trust anything other then OEM for timing components.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
yes the OEM did such a great job on the first parts !

The chain has been redesigned a few times. The new version has more connecting links. Most of us who replaced the chain had the earliest version. Also the new tensioner design is completely different.

I'd much rather pick those than Bremmen which are literally just chinese parts sold at 1/3 the cost under a European sounding "brand" name.

I love cheap Chinese stuff but when it comes to major engine components im going with the OEM stuff.

zrickety

The Fixer
You want to spend a few bucks more and get that Iabed billet RMS. We did the install on my friend's car, it was worth it. The stock piece is a flimsy joke by comparison. You can reuse all the flywheel bolts as well, just put blue loctite on them. Same with the timing cover. If you're careful you can straighten out the old cover after it's removed but I did actually replace mine. When I did the chain, I only changed the crankshaft bolt but I feel like that could have been reused as well.