GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need a new fuel door for my tornado red MK7

H_Rice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Need a new one asap. When I first bought the car the previous owner had blacked out the fuel door with plasti dip and I never liked it all that much to begin with. About a week ago I finally decided to peel all that crap off, and I found that the last owner broke multiple clips likely trying to get the door off. Literally every clip had dabs of hot glue on them to hold them down. At that point I knew I should just buy a new one. But this afternoon while I was getting gas I lightly pushed on the door and it fell off, causing a corner to chip and one of the main clips to break off. Now it will no longer stay on. Did some research and a new unpainted oe one cost about 80 bucks on sale. Or I can buy a knock off ebay one for about 20. What would you guys suggest? Also what about paint matching, Is there any tornado red vinyl wrap because I don’t feel very confident painting myself. Plus I’m not trying to spend very much on what’s essentially a plastic slab. Thanks

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I'd check ebay for one off a wrecked car first, but I bit the bullet and had an OEM one painted up. I think it was like $150 all in. When you do install it, put some dish soap on the sliding surfaces of the clips. I had a tough time installing it and that seemed to help it pop on.

H_Rice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
AliEx for $22-$27 in Tornado Red, use key word "VW MK7 Oil Tank" to find them in colors other than white. Might take weeks to get here, but for $22, I'd wait 6 weeks...
Thanks man I appreciate it just ordered one. It probably won't be great quality but its better than spending 120 on an OEM one.

Last edited:

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
You could always go the complete opposite direction and get a carbon fiber one. I hear the weight savings alone will add 20-30 mpg

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Use this site! Lots of red ones are available to be shipped for around $55. Use the Part Grade column to make sure you are getting "A & 0" (just means the part should be in near-perfect condition). Ask the parts person to send you a few pics of it too before buying. GL
https://www.car-part.com/