GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Native FlexFuel adaptation without ethanol/FF sensor

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
As others have asked, what can you do with this? Can you use it to adjust boost or timing? It’s neat and all but unless you have a use for it it’s pointless. Perhaps allows one to run flex fuel without added power benefits?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
As others have asked, what can you do with this? Can you use it to adjust boost or timing? It’s neat and all but unless you have a use for it it’s pointless. Perhaps allows one to run flex fuel without added power benefits?
He does full tunes. This will be his special sauce.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
He does full tunes. This will be his special sauce.

I did not see anything saying he can tune based on estimated ethanol content? Or sending the content to a guage, in fact he said he couldnt output/send content anywhere but this software. Maybe i missed it.

littco

Ready to race!
I did not see anything saying he can tune based on estimated ethanol content? Or sending the content to a guage, in fact he said he couldnt output/send content anywhere but this software. Maybe i missed it.

The idea of the flex fuel on the ECU as stock is to allow the ECU to adapt to the increased fuel volumes required to run the car safely.

If you want to have a display of this E content then currently the only way to do this is via an external display. This is something we have done either by a wired or BT to a free to download app.

With regards the increased power E can afford you, there is currently not a way I have found yet that can increase the timing with more E fuel contents. It was only ever there as way to run mixed fuels and as stated above related to fuel Injection. E30 needs about 25% more fuel for stoich.

What you can do though is flash the ECu with say an E30 map which has the extra timing added but this can only be used on this E fuel content. If you then ran E50 a new map would be needed to get more timing.

The flex fuel system is basically a safe method of running E fuel without maxing out the fuel trims or having to have a manual increase in fuel via seperate flash versions.

I think finding a way to increase timing via a E content and rpm map would be possible.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
This is awesome. Hope there is more information somewhere. If I understand this correctly:

1. Changes required via VCDS to enable this feature (anyone have the details?)
2. Once enabled you can run E blends safely. Does this also apply to an existing flash tune?
3. Doesn't give you any extra power just allows the ECU to adapt to run the new ethanol content safely. Engine still using the same torque request so no additional timing or boost applied.
4. Flash tune would be required to extract more power

So what I would love to get confirmation of is whether steps 1 can be applied safely to any car to effectively turn your car into a flex fuel car. Understanding that there would be limits to how much E you could put in before you maxed out the fuel system on a tuned car.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1. Changes required via VCDS to enable this feature (anyone have the details?)
2. Once enabled you can run E blends safely. Does this also apply to an existing flash tune?
3. Doesn't give you any extra power just allows the ECU to adapt to run the new ethanol content safely. Engine still using the same torque request so no additional timing or boost applied.
4. Flash tune would be required to extract more power

So what I would love to get confirmation of is whether steps 1 can be applied safely to any car to effectively turn your car into a flex fuel car. Understanding that there would be limits to how much E you could put in before you maxed out the fuel system on a tuned car.
1. This is a flashed calibration setting. Not VCDS.
2. For low blends on a stock car, maybe.
3. Yes, no additional power. Also key is that there aren't any ethanol vs. timing/boost tables in a stock calibration, so you'll run out of fuel quicker with more torque.
4. Always.

There's always been a decent amount of fuel trim adjustment available, this is why "full e85" tunes are just tuned for e50-60 timing/boost, and then they dump in more fuel if there's a stronger mix to keep up with. That's around the low end of what flex pumps put out and where most cars will hit max brake torque anyway. The sensorless adaptation isn't something I'd trust on my car with significant mixes given it's just a model based on flow/lambda.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
This is possible to do with DIY oss tuning, hp tuners, etc. Again, not with VCDS (it can only monitor the PID once enabled in the calibration).
ok, gotcha. How does one enable it via the flash? My primary interest is being able to pop up the data on my polarfis and have it as a viewable piece of data in the built in display in the gauge cluster

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
ok, gotcha. How does one enable it via the flash? My primary interest is being able to pop up the data on my polarfis and have it as a viewable piece of data in the built in display in the gauge cluster
what are you currently tuned on?