GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Native FlexFuel adaptation without ethanol/FF sensor

mattavince

Passed Driver's Ed
not to sound rude, but you obviously do not understand how a jb4 works.
"NoT tO SUoND RuDe" then says it rudely lmao. Fuckin nerd. BMS, as far as I know is working on doing its best to code the simos ecu to feed their JB4 module ethonal values. How? I have no idea. Do I care how? No. I was being nice and said, hey, this dudes got something good, maybe he can broadcast it to a larger stage then his backyard tuning business.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You posted this in the R section, does that mean only the R ECU has this feature? Do the 1.8 ECU have this ability also? It seems tuners come out with LC and NLS for the GTI and R ecus but not for the 1.8s, not sure if the 1.8 ECU is just a lesser ecu that won't support certain features.

this flex function is built into the ecu natively from the factory and works mostly as any properly designed flex system should. this includes accommodating for varying ethanol content and adjusting the final outcome (ignition, etc) accordingly.

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
You posted this in the R section, does that mean only the R ECU has this feature? Do the 1.8 ECU have this ability also? It seems tuners come out with LC and NLS for the GTI and R ecus but not for the 1.8s, not sure if the 1.8 ECU is just a lesser ecu that won't support certain features.

the 1.8t ecu has this function. i posted in the R section just because it was the most relatable to my specific application.

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.

immediate future is to add a sensor in the fuel line and test the accuracy of the ecu's estimate of ethanol content now that the function is working all as designed.

next after this (probably not so far actually) is to add the function to the is20/hpfp car.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
immediate future is to add a sensor in the fuel line and test the accuracy of the ecu's estimate of ethanol content now that the function is working all as designed.

next after this (probably not so far actually) is to add the function to the is20/hpfp car.

I think equally as important as accuracy is the response time to drastic changes in Ethanol content say E80 down to E10 simulating running out of E85 and only having 91 to fill.

Last edited:

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think equally as important as accuracy is the response time to drastic changes in Ethanol content say E80 done to E10 simulating running out of E85 and only having 91 to fill.

when a "re-fuel" is detected, the fuel adaptation is immediately started again to calculate the ethanol content (or lack there of) and is then stored as "learned" until the next re-fueling is detected.

the algorithm can also be enabled to constantly calculate the fuel quality value even when a learned value is stored but this seems a bit redundant.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
when a "re-fuel" is detected, the fuel adaptation is immediately started again to calculate the ethanol content (or lack there of) and is then stored as "learned" until the next re-fueling is detected.

the algorithm can also be enabled to constantly calculate the fuel quality value even when a learned value is stored but this seems a bit redundant.

Yes, the question is how quick this actually happens and how the car runs during this time. It takes about 2-3 miles for my ethanol content to stabilize after a refill.

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the question is how quick this actually happens and how the car runs during this time. It takes about 2-3 miles for my ethanol content to stabilize after a refill.

well, the fuel quality adaptation, from what i can tell, is already enabled from the factory even when using gasoline.

so (in theory) it will be about the same time as when you refill with 91 octane after having burned through a tank of top tier 93 octane.

the car also knows the volume of fuel in the lines and factors this into the equation when running the calculation.

so if you re-fuel the car, and then immediately rip it out of the petrol station, the car is still burning the previous tank of fuel and then there is no concern.

i will assume that under most conditions the car will have at least a small amount of down time, normal rpm cruising after a re-fuel, to learn the fuel quality content. IE: you could not find ethanol on the highway exit and had to fill with 91, then pull back out on to the highway.

on a personal note, i do not think the engineers would include a feature that would be anywhere near considered un-safe, no matter the conditions.

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
Ecu making assumptions based on fuel trims isnt that kinda risky? This is all after the fact, Not before consumption.

What if you have a hardware issue / problem that adversely affects the fuel trims? Then the ecu could possibly think its ethanol when its not

Genuinely asking, not knocking you.

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ecu making assumptions based on fuel trims isnt that kinda risky? This is all after the fact, Not before consumption.

What if you have a hardware issue / problem that adversely affects the fuel trims? Then the ecu could possibly think its ethanol when its not

it is not based only on fuel trims. there are many variables used in the calculation.

again, this is not a feature i *added*. it is a feature included from the factory. i have simply enabled it.

if you are concerned about the validity and the function, contact the ecu software designers. :)

Hoon

Autocross Champion

For what it's worth, this has been used by GM (I'm sure not the exact same algorithms, but similar) for about 5 years now.

I'm very curious to the accuracy...I bet it's VERY close.

k0mpresd1

Passed Driver's Ed
For what it's worth, this has been used by GM (I'm sure not the exact same algorithms, but similar) for about 5 years now.

I'm very curious to the accuracy...I bet it's VERY close.
i am inclined to feel it is very close as well.

the factory engineers will not release something to their customer (the customer being vw/audi in this case) that is not accurate or functioning properly. otherwise very bad things may happen.

checking the accuracy was my main intention of ordering the gauge. collecting as much data as possible to validate all is working as intended.