GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NAR Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Anyone know whether it's possible to do a heated steering wheel retrofit? The only info I found was on VWVortex but it's pretty old.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m interested in this as well. I believe I saw the same thread as you. Last posting was from about 10 days ago and the info was all over the map. The only successful one I saw was someone without climatronic getting it complete.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I wonder if you can put a MK8 GTI steering wheel on a MK7. But then the design is bleh.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Most people would want to do the opposite to get rid of the haptic buttons.
No kidding. Unless he can find the same mk7 GTI design wheel with a heating element, I don’t see how it can be done.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can get an Mk8 heated wheel without haptic buttons...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144340825727

There are heated Mk7 wheels too, though consolidated info is hard to find... I probably have something bookmarked but need to look through them. That Vortex link, although old, does have good info. One concern is that I never found a part number for an HVAC panel with heated wheel icon that was not climatronic. Not a problem if you have climatronic.

And that with that being said, there is this old thread where someone with manual climate had a heated wheel, which suggests that such a panel does exist. But it seems that shortly after the Mk7 was introduced the heated wheel option was only available for cars with climatronic. In the Vortex thread it's also mentioned that enabling heated steering wheel in the long coding of a manual climate control panel enabled an option in the Car menu on infotainment to enable steering wheel heat. There was also some mention that on HVAC panels without the heated wheel icon that turning on driver seat heat also turned on heated steering wheel, which makes sense I guess.

Another wrinkle is that I don't remember being able to find a GTI/R (round airbag) heated steering wheel part number. Heated wheel was offered on Golf/Tiguan/Atlas(maybe) but they all have the "Superman" shaped airbag.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Another wrinkle is that I don't remember being able to find a GTI/R (round airbag) heated steering wheel part number. Heated wheel was offered on Golf/Tiguan/Atlas(maybe) but they all have the "Superman" shaped airbag.
This was my understanding too from my bit of research into the heated wheel. I’d love to be proved wrong though for that sweet steering wheel heat. I could always find the non-sporty steering wheels with heat, for example on AliExpress. But nothing ever for the GTI and R wheel. There is just one video on YouTube where someone has (supposedly) custom-made a GTI steering wheel with heat and with the button for it on the actual wheel. I don’t know how legit that it is and they didn’t respond to any comments.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Somewhere there is a DIY (more of a log really) for that custom wheel. I want to say it's on drive2.ru but I don't have it bookmarked. It's way more work than I ever intend to do. If that person was faking it they certainly did enough work to have done the real thing, haha.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I think everything that can be done with these cars has been done and posted on drive2.ru haha. It’s pretty amazing honestly. Good to hear it’s legit.