GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NAR Golf 1.8 TSI MK7 to 7.5 Tail Light Issue

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Yep! That's exactly how I ran it. :) You can just pull the plastic down a little bit and route it so you don't have to take the whole hatch card off. I JUST got the terminals in from Poland, so I'm going to make my harness, but I haven't had any issues with the scotch-locks, so I may just leave it for now. haha
You can also buy the terminals online from DigiKey - A126779CT

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey Zero can you confirm that this is the correct part number? I just got the wire in the mail today and the end is too small for the connector.
BCFC2CA2-B10C-47EE-91C2-6883284C7139.jpeg

Should look like this beauty

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

keggo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
TDI S 6spd
LOL I did that for through-hole USB ports before. hahaha @ZERO815

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
View attachment 190025
Should look like this beauty

100% the right part and wire, got mine from AliExpress !
Pin removal tool also!

I went to my mechanic (luckily one that I also know, cost me a small favour and A&W meal!)

As @Nissanskylinen1 suggested in his own thread.
150cm would be more than enough, however, I can't find any seller that sell the wire longer than 100cm
Got 2 of those above 100cm repair wires soldered together

Used ONE Self-stripping tap connector (scotch-lok)
Heat shrink tube connector + lighter

@keggo , @Nissanskylinen1 & @openlog thanks for all the tips also btw

My taillight works the way Euro sexy tail lights are meant to!
@ZERO815 Thank you for your step by step guide! You are beyond intelligent 💕

Last edited:

bladerunner0427

Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since I last posted on this thread. Before I continue, I just want to give a shout out to @ZERO815. When I first started this threat, I had purchased the AKD MK7 7.5 Taillights. I reached out to Zero815 for some help. He sent me a diagram and coding. I ordered the parts, but was never able to complete it. I lost my phone and the notes I took to work on this. Then I got distracted. Got married in the Philippines in 2019 and I put this project on the back-burner.

A week ago, I just happened to do a search for AKD MK7 7.5 taillight and found this thread. I was actually trying to find some kind of how-to because I took a chance on AliExpress and purchased an adapter harness for the 7.5 taillights. Well, I found this old thread and was pleasantly surprised to find out you guys made it work. I read all the posts here and on the DIY post by @Nissanskylinen1. I'm glad to report that my taillights are working properly.

For the record, my car is 2016 Golf S TSI 1.8 purchased in California. Not sure if there is a significant difference compared to the Canadian version. But the instructions provided by Nissanskylinen1 and the coding by Zero815 worked

The next thing I plan to do is get the left reverse light working. Just waiting for the scotchlok. Then after that, going to see if I can get the fog lights to work as well.

I'm in the San Diego area if anyone who wants to try this and is looking for help.

Thanks again.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since I last posted on this thread. Before I continue, I just want to give a shout out to @ZERO815. When I first started this threat, I had purchased the AKD MK7 7.5 Taillights. I reached out to Zero815 for some help. He sent me a diagram and coding. I ordered the parts, but was never able to complete it. I lost my phone and the notes I took to work on this. Then I got distracted. Got married in the Philippines in 2019 and I put this project on the back-burner.

A week ago, I just happened to do a search for AKD MK7 7.5 taillight and found this thread. I was actually trying to find some kind of how-to because I took a chance on AliExpress and purchased an adapter harness for the 7.5 taillights. Well, I found this old thread and was pleasantly surprised to find out you guys made it work. I read all the posts here and on the DIY post by @Nissanskylinen1. I'm glad to report that my taillights are working properly.

For the record, my car is 2016 Golf S TSI 1.8 purchased in California. Not sure if there is a significant difference compared to the Canadian version. But the instructions provided by Nissanskylinen1 and the coding by Zero815 worked

The next thing I plan to do is get the left reverse light working. Just waiting for the scotchlok. Then after that, going to see if I can get the fog lights to work as well.

I'm in the San Diego area if anyone who wants to try this and is looking for help.

Thanks again.
Only difference usually US vs Canadian spec = additional safety + day time running lights are required from my understanding.

Let any of us know, we will help you with left reverse light, I used scrotchlok and as well as the TWO wires i linked below (much much longer but it can be hidden). I got my mechanic to solder them with some paper clip to make it stronger, as one is too short. Then I used heat-shrink tube on top of that

FYI, your reverse camera will NOT work unless the boot/trunk is "closed" i got scared when i did not want to fully close it to check the reverse light

Until today my taillights still work!

Congrats on with LIFE! and being married!

bladerunner0427

Only difference usually US vs Canadian spec = additional safety + day time running lights are required from my understanding.

Let any of us know, we will help you with left reverse light, I used scrotchlok and as well as the TWO wires i linked below (much much longer but it can be hidden). I got my mechanic to solder them with some paper clip to make it stronger, as one is too short. Then I used heat-shrink tube on top of that

FYI, your reverse camera will NOT work unless the boot/trunk is "closed" i got scared when i did not want to fully close it to check the reverse light

Until today my taillights still work!

Congrats on with LIFE! and being married!
Thanks Cssoz!

I got the repair wire, scotchlok, and some additional wire. I'll attempt it this coming weekend.

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
  • Right Taillight error
    1635100128192.png
  • Fix = ensure your settings is same as "cssoz"

• error happened either after
  • my new battery install (without battery saver)
  • OR my Stage 1 tune ( bottom for changes i have done)
  • originally I have the halogen taillights before following the cssoz settings

Thank you @ZERO815 once again <3

Update: I have install/change the following!
  • Unitronic Stage 1
  • VWR (racingline #VWR31G7ML) Lowering springs
  • Moog front & rear swaybar end links (fully greased)
  • 034 rear swaybar
  • new strut mounts
  • B8 front struts + rear shocks

Last edited:

ahoss

Car(s)
7R 6MT
Beating an old horse here. I have a MK7 Golf R NA. I have wired both yellow connectors from the box (driver inner>driver outer)(pass inner>pass outer). I have the reverse camera on my car.
I would like to know the proper diagram and coding instructions as I am having a hard time picturing the wiring via the diagram. I also have the recommended wire to connect the inner tails together for reverse.
@ZERO815 @Cssoz

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Beating an old horse here. I have a MK7 Golf R NA. I have wired both yellow connectors from the box (driver inner>driver outer)(pass inner>pass outer). I have the reverse camera on my car.
I would like to know the proper diagram and coding instructions as I am having a hard time picturing the wiring via the diagram. I also have the recommended wire to connect the inner tails together for reverse.
@ZERO815 @Cssoz
Seems like you got the issue resolve here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/akd-mk7-euro-taillights.401309/post-7825478 ?