GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NAR 2021 Maps Available for Download for MST2 (MIB2)

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Found MIB Solution in another thread and on the website, it has the NAR 2021 maps for the MST2 (MIB2). Since all Golfs, GTIs, and possibly other MIB2 head units are made by Delphi, this map update should be compatible with most, if not all, North American VW owners who have navigation with their MIB2 equipped vehicle.

Edit: To update your map data, it is recommended you back up your existing map data onto your computer first. Once that is done, delete all the files in the SD card and copy over the new NAR 2021 map data from your computer into the SD card. You do not need to copy over __MACOSX as @2018gti said in his post.

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I am totally gonna try this, good find! Downloading the file as we speak.. I'm not sure what's inside but I'm guessing just all the files copied off a new SD card. Gonna back up my current card and copy it on. 🤞

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I am totally gonna try this, good find! Downloading the file as we speak.. I'm not sure what's inside but I'm guessing just all the files copied off a new SD card. Gonna back up my current card and copy it on. 🤞
Can you let us know how it goes? I need to buy a SD card reader in order to try it. I only have microSD readers.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Omfg dude, it works. Hahahaha!! I cannot thank you enough for finding that link, that site is a gold mine. Screw that guy on ig who wanted to charge me $75 to mail him my SD card. He is not doing much of anything, clearly - just modifying the Version Information so it says his name along with "NAR 2020/21". F'ing charlatan 😂

I'll reply with a more step by step procedure. I have a Mac, so I plugged in the SD, made a backup of the whole card using "dd" (nerds will know about this), erased the one volume on the SD and formatted with FAT32, then copied over just the "maps" folder from the zip file to the card. There's a weird autorun.inf file in the zip that you can ignore/delete, it's unnecessary.

Pic for proof. Map works, and it's definitely more recent than my old 2017 one judging by the restaurants it has loaded.
IMG_0003.jpeg

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Omfg dude, it works. Hahahaha!! I cannot thank you enough for finding that link, that site is a gold mine. Screw that guy on ig who wanted to charge me $75 to mail him my SD card. He is not doing much of anything, clearly - just modifying the Version Information so it says his name along with "NAR 2020/21". F'ing charlatan 😂

I'll reply with a more step by step procedure. I have a Mac, so I plugged in the SD, made a backup of the whole card using "dd" (nerds will know about this), erased the one volume on the SD and formatted with FAT32, then copied over just the "maps" folder from the zip file to the card. There's a weird autorun.inf file in the zip that you can ignore/delete, it's unnecessary.

Pic for proof. Map works, and it's definitely more recent than my old 2017 one judging by the restaurants it has loaded.
View attachment 229217
Lol! That's so awesome! You used the stock SD card right? I have a Windows computer so I think I can just format the whole SD card in FAT32 and copy over the folder as you did.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Lol! That's so awesome! You used the stock SD card right? I have a Windows computer so I think I can just format the whole SD card in FAT32 and copy over the folder as you did.
Yup, just took my stock SD card out of the nav. Like you said, just format as FAT32 and copy over. You might get a "__MACOSX" folder when you extract the zip, which I deleted. Looks like whoever originally uploaded the maps was also using a Mac. Let me know how it goes!

Definitely reinforces my belief that everything you read on the internet should be considered wrong until proven true haha. The ig guy and lots of forum posts either lie or wrongly assume that the SD card's contents are personalized or signed/encrypted in some way. Well... clearly they aren't lol.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
It works! Deleted my old map data and copied over the new one. Hopefully it actually has new map data and isn't just someone trolling us by editing some configuration files LOL. Since @2018gti said the restaurant list got updated, it probably is legit.

bryanviper

So I got a 2016 R that has Navigation however I don't believe I have any memory card in the system for navigation. I only have one for music that I put in. Doubt it makes a difference I'll just have to use my own memory card but it should still work no?

Glenndemelo

Car(s)
2016 Golf R

View attachment 229217
Where do I get the file

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
So I got a 2016 R that has Navigation however I don't believe I have any memory card in the system for navigation. I only have one for music that I put in. Doubt it makes a difference I'll just have to use my own memory card but it should still work no?
It will not work with a regular SD card. You will have to patch your MIB 2 for it to accept any SD card. Since we can't patch it, you need to use a SD card that has the same CID as the VW SD cards.

Hello I am new here. How do I download the file?? Thank you

Where do I get the file
It's on the site listed in OP.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
It works! Deleted my old map data and copied over the new one. Hopefully it actually has new map data and isn't just someone trolling us by editing some configuration files LOL. Since @2018gti said the restaurant list got updated, it probably is legit.
I really hope so, I mean it has some restaurants that opened recently so I think it’s an upgrade. That would be really unfortunate if it wasn’t 😂 Mine was on V5 though so anything is better than that. Now to figure out how to get 2022 maps..

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If your nav works without an SD card then you have Discover Pro. You can update maps using any SD card, you'll just take the SD card out after you load maps anyway.

I have not been to the site mentioned here. I think map files are different between Discover Pro and non-Pro though, although I have to think the underlying data is the same.

When I had Discover Navigation, which required the SD card being inserted at all times, My map version looked like the pictures posted above, 5NA...xx, where two letter xx code identified the year and market of the maps. Prior to being 5NA...xx the versions were 3G0...xx.

This is the version I have now, 2022 maps on Discover Pro, note the version 0085...
Screenshot_20211030-165208.png

You may have something that looks like one of these, but even older... version 0081 for 2021, version 0066 for 2018/19
Screenshot_20211030-170104.png

Screenshot_20211030-170155.png

The hardware part number is different in these pics... the 5NA is my main unit (Discover Pro) and the 3G0 is @Nuje's main unit (also Discover Pro). It only seems to matter that they are both Discover Pro. We both used the same nav data to update, using a generic SD card as neither of us have one from VW.