GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystery Dash Rattle

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
This rattle/clicking sound is about to make me crazy. It started a few months ago, but at first it was just occasionally making noise. Now it is every time I drive.

2015 GTI SE 6MT

Heres a video -

Has anyone experienced something similar? Sounds like it is coming from the right of the dash area. I believe it is coming from inside the car rather than the engine area because it is a fairly sharp clicking noise and doesn't sound muffled at all.

Here's what I know -

• Definitely not the Soundaktor. I removed that completely and wrapped and zip-tied the cable to the support that held the Soundaktor.
• Not the cowling or trim outside at the bottom of the windshield - I removed all of that and went for a drive and still heard the rattle.
• I don't BELIEVE it is something that fell into the defrost vent because I am the only one that drives the car and I never put anything on the dash.
• There is a possibility that something fell in there before I bought it, but I've had it for just over two years and it really only started making noise about six months ago.
• Not the glove box - I've emptied it out, driven with it open, driven with it hanging down as if I were replacing the air filter - no difference.
• AC, heat, defrost, fan on/off, fresh air or recirculation doesn't make any difference.
• Happens when the temperature is warm or cold.
• I've tried holding/pressing everything I can reach and nothing makes a difference. Passengers have tried the same with no results.

So before I tear my dashboard out and potential ruin something does anyone have any ideas?

There seems to be an access panel on the side of the dash right next to the door. is there an easy way to remove that so I can investigate?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Seems like you have covered a lot of area.

You didn’t mention if you had done any interior mods at all. Even something simple like a shifter boot.

Has there been any warranty work done, or paid, just work that would have had something apart on the inside.

Depending on your comfort level, I would start pulling apart the interior and driving until you find it.

If I recall correctly that panel should pop out with a plastic trim tool. Slide it between the seams and away from the dash.

5:08 should show you. Same for the other side.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Some owners have had noise emanating from the armrest in the center. You might want to try messing with it; buzzes and rattles transmit sounds in odd ways that are hard to source.

You know about the fuel line vibration noise under the car? This is another source of rattles that sound like they're inside the cabin. There's a TSB for this and a thread on it too.

Good luck on a fix. This sort of thing drives me crazy. I have one slight intermittent buzz in my '21 SE that I have yet to source.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Some owners have had noise emanating from the armrest in the center. You might want to try messing with it; buzzes and rattles transmit sounds in odd ways that are hard to source.

You know about the fuel line vibration noise under the car? This is another source of rattles that sound like they're inside the cabin. There's a TSB for this and a thread on it too.

Good luck on a fix. This sort of thing drives me crazy. I have one slight intermittent buzz in my '21 SE that I have yet to source.
I don't think the fuel line was a problem with a 2015.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The source of unwanted noises can be quite deceptive, and they often originate from somewhere completely different to where you think the noise is coming from.

A couple of common sources of unwanted interior rattles / vibrations on the mk7 Golf are;
  • the hard plastic sliding cover over the vanity mirror in the sun visors. This can rattle / vibrate against the light in the headlining (contact between the two surfaces) when the sun visors aren’t being used.
  • items stored in the overhead sunglasses holder in the roof lining near the interior rear view mirror can create unwanted noises.
Some forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk have found the above to be the source of unwanted noises when they thought the noise was coming from somewhere behind the dashboard, so worth investigating before you dismantle your dashboard.

Less likely to be a potential cause, but check you don’t have anything under the front seats that might be making contact with the seat rails, and if you have under-seat storage drawers, when there’s nothing loose rolling around in there. And while you’re at it, check the adjustable upper seat belt mounting point on the B pillars, which are known to vibrate.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Might be worth checking that the guide arm/stop brake for the glovebox is connected and not hanging loose. It's the arm with the gear wheel in it that connects on the right hand side of the glove box to act as a stop. Had mine pop out accidently when changing filter as I did a full drop on the glovebox.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I had the same exact thing! But unfortunately I cannot tell you the cause of it. I just had my windshield replaced and it went away so that’s a clue? It was driving me nuts for a good 2 months before the replacement

Bcraig47

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI Autobahn
I had a rock inside my valence under my windshield and it rattled for months, I couldn't figure out what the sound was. but it was enough to drive me insane.
so moral of the story, sometimes something simple can be the biggest issue haha

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Thanks y'all that gives me some more things to investigate. I am going to look into the A pillar noise that has been reported and see if I find anything when I remove that trim. Thanks @gixxerfool that is exactly the piece I was talking about.

I'll chase down these other leads and when I get it sorted I'll report back so the next person that has this issue has another resource for a fix.

muffdiver

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Hi Friend,

I am having the exact same rattle as you and it is driving me absolutely insane. Have you had any luck in isolating it? I'm really trying to avoid a full dash teardown as well.

Thanks!

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
NO! I removed the A pillar trim and the trim around the door. Took off the side access panel and poked around everywhere that I could reach but no luck. Mine almost sounds like something tapping/rattling against the windshield. There is a deep space behind the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dash, so I am going to try to find something long, thin and flexible - like a plastic ruler - and use it to do some exploring to see if something fell back there.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I really do think its somewhere around the windshield. if you guys have any chips or cracks in your windshield ... might as well get it replaced

muffdiver

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I found a youtube video with the same rattle talking about how loose trim under the wipers was causing the rattle. After pressing down the trim the rattle seemed to disappear, but started up again after a bumpy road. Not sure if it had anything to do with the trim.

Saschke

Car(s)
2015 MK7 R
Anybody had any luck with a solution? I'm having the same noise as in this video:

I've already checked the entire A pillar, knee air bag, soundaktuator, B pillar seat belt tensioner, the entire seats, ... .

I will do the fuel line rattle fix but i would be surprised if this would fix it.

With my 2015 R, it comes on when I go over 90 km/h, uneven roads or when I accelerate a bit harder then usual.