GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My White Silver Metallic 2018 GTI PP Build Log

AlexRok

Ready to race!
After having my MK7.5 for a while, and definitely being consumed by the mod bug, I wanted to share what I've done to my car thus far and document what will be done to it.

To preface, I came from a lowered 2005 Jetta GLS. Not one touch of power with the ol 2.slow. This new car wasn't to be ruined, and the entire purpose was a reliable daily driver that I can have fun with.

This car isn't one I really want to go the same direction with. Obviously I want it to look cool- but a different type of cool. A bit more sophisticated.

Now, the car-
2018 GTI Base (Canadian)
i.e. Performance Package with boring headlights

My current Mods:

Engine
BMS JB4 + Mobile Connect
BMS Elite Intake / Turbo Inlet
BMS Oil Catch Can Kit
BMS Turbo Muffler Delete
BMS Short-Throw Clutch Stop
Forge Short-Shift Kit
TurboSmart TS-0223-1063
BFI Stage 1 Dogbone Insert <in mail>

Suspension
ECS Street Coilovers <not yet installed- likely will sell>

Wheel/Tires
>Summer Setup
Rotiform TMBs 18x8.5 ET45
Kumho PS31 215/40/18
>Winter Setup
VW Detroits 18x7.5
Hercules Avalanche RG2 225/40/18

Cosmetic Etc.
Ed’s Reps MK7.5 Autobahn LED Headlights (Morimoto LED retrofits)
Aerofabb Rear Spoiler Extension <sold without installing>
Aerofabb Front Splitter V2
Rallyarmor universal mudflaps
Xiaomi Yi Dashcam
Gliptone Ceramic Coating
SunTek 12% Ceramic Tint

A fairly decent list for 6 months, though more changes are to come. Planned is a catless downpipe and new clutch (though stock hasn't slipped with 10,000km on it with a jb4). Also planned is some form of mild drop. I have a set of coilovers but want bilstein coilovers and will likely sell the ones I have and have not yet installed.

Have not documented much of what I've done up to now, but going forward I will try to. If anyone has any questions or anything I'd love to answer any.

Fuelly- Gas Mileage http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti/2018/alexrok/820375

Last edited:

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Stuff going on this week- Turbo muffler delete and catch can install

Not a bad job at all, however lost one of the bolts for the turbo muffler delete.. turned a 1 hour job into a multi-day project.
Also ran into an issue- I noticed vibration in the gas pedal after the install of my turbo muffler delete. Was simply my intake rubbing on the brake booster, from a rushed install but had me scared for a solid 15km.
I don't know that I notice any difference in sound from the turbo muffler delete, however.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Looking good! Love the White Silver...and the Rotiforms really compliment the color.

Curious, why you uninstalled yor Aerofab products? I have the spoiler coming is why I ask.

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Looking good! Love the White Silver...and the Rotiforms really compliment the color.

Curious, why you uninstalled yor Aerofab products? I have the spoiler coming is why I ask.
I didn't uninstall, I just haven't installed them yet! Lol. Both mine are in the mail as well, and they'll probably go on within a few weeks of getting them.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Looks good. I have a real love/relationship with that color. I still don't know if I like it. Right now I like it.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Looks good. I have a real love/relationship with that color. I still don't know if I like it. Right now I like it.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Pictures definitely don't do it justice. In person it's stunning, the metallic really gives it some dimension. I originally wanted black or dark iron blue, but after seeing these, I was convinced. Plus I kept thinking about doing paint corrections on a black car..

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have to say with the mk7.5, VW actually put some effort into their boring halogens. They look quite decent, IMHO. Heck, even the regular prefacelift halogens I used to run grew on me some.

Nice wheels, enjoy modding!

AlexRok

Ready to race!
I have to say with the mk7.5, VW actually put some effort into their boring halogens. They look quite decent, IMHO. Heck, even the regular prefacelift halogens I used to run grew on me some.

Nice wheels, enjoy modding!

The halogens are better than the MK7, but IMO the LP (HID/LED) headlights should be standard, similar to most other cars in the GTIs price range. The mismatch between foglight and headlight colour temperature was something that bugged me.

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Some stuff came in through the mail today!
Got a turbosmart TS-0223-1063 (50/50 plumbpack/vent to atmosphere) for my GTI. How long I'll run it idk, but it makes turbo noises. One thing I like about this is there's no boost tap necessary.

Driving it around normally (shifting at 2-3krpms), it is not noticeably different from stock. I'd almost say it's quieter than stock. 110% dailyable.

However, when I get on it I get a nice woosh. Very satisfying, but not a ridiculous noise.

Pretty pleased with it. I almost got the CTS one but I'm glad I have this. It's definitely the simplest aftermarket solution. Feels well built as well.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The halogens are better than the MK7, but IMO the LP (HID/LED) headlights should be standard, similar to most other cars in the GTIs price range. The mismatch between foglight and headlight colour temperature was something that bugged me.
True.
However, at least with prefacelift, I hate that on LP the inner U is not lit.

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Yesterday evening some stuff came from burger tuning, a modified bracket for my catch can and a metal case for my JB4.
The reason I got the metal case was not because of how pretty it is, but because it has holes necessary for a proper mount. Currently my JB4 is loose in the plastic case and I’d like something... a little more permanent, all the while not actually modifying the car and using existing screw holes.

I found a screw hole by the battery that is unused, and this is what I intend on mounting my bracket to.

I made a mockup out of cardboard. In the next little while I’ll get some sheet metal and bend it and then drill holes to mount the JB4 to it. It’s mostly in the same position it is currently, which isn’t occupied by anything, but it won’t be loose.
The main wires have enough room under the JB4 to exit. I opted not to mount horizontally for ease of use and mounting (otherwise JB4 would cover the screw used).

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Aerofabb stuff in, JB4 mount update

So a few more updates..
The JB4 mount has been mocked up in OpenSCAD and I'll 3d print it in the next week. I have high hopes it'll work out.
I have a BFI stage 1 dogbone mount on the way and I got my aerofabb stuff in and installed my splitter. I'm a fan, it almost looks like its not there sometimes which I dig. Easy install and good instructions. Fitment is spot on. Highly recommend the Aerofabb V2 Front Splitter.

The hatch spoiler extension on the other hand... I don't know. It looks a bit tacky to me and I didn't realize it required drilling when I installed. It also has me worried water will collect between the extension and the original spoiler, which would be an issue in Canada if it froze with water expanding between the spoiler and spoiler extension. I sort of want the TCR/ R performance spoiler from Europe, if any spoiler extension. This one just doesn't do it for me IRL.

Last edited:

AlexRok

Ready to race!
Audi 12V Cover, BFI Stage 1 Dogbone Arrives, JB4 Mount Prototype on the way

So two things arrived today. First, an Audi 12V socket (PN 8W0 919 311). Fits perfectly, and looks and feels the part with the aluminum and everything. Solid little nitpicky mod.

And also... BFI Stage 1 Dogbone Insert. I will hopefully be installing this soon. Why did I choose BFI? Got a good deal I couldn't pass up and I wanted a relatively softer dogbone solution. This car is driven daily.

Last update is that I placed an 'order' for the JB4 mount prototype and it should be printed within a week. Very excited and hoping it turns out!

AlexRok

Ready to race!
BFI Insert In, first decent snow, Obdeleven

So today I did the install of the BFI Stage 1 Dggbone insert. Very easy install and with some silicone lube it couldn't have taken more than 15 or 20 minutes. I was worried after seeing some stories about not being able to get the bolt back in but i did just fine.
Initial impressions are that I notice the vibrations at idle. I'm not a fan but hopefully they will go away after a few thousand kms. Glad i didn't go with stage 2 or an aluminum insert after feeling the Stage 1. With this and the obdeleven changes to the throttle progressiveness I definitely feel like this car is more natural to drive, and maybe a little closer to my MK4. I'll definitely be able to say more about it when there isn't too much snow.

I also got a hold of an OBDeleven. The MK7 and MK7.5s in the household have gotten a few tweaks, but the MK7.5 is definitely lacking resources for long coding (which is all that I am interested in). I did figure out a few mods: windows with the key fob, DRL/fog coming home lights, throttle map change, Clubsport PP Diff tune, litres of fuel and seat heat memory. A few common tweaks are just defaults on the MK7.5, but I could not get mirror dipping to work at all. I still want to figure out how to change auto headlight sensitivity and maybe figure out how to turn on only the fogs and DRLs. If anyone has any MK7.5 obdeleven resources please do share.

Last but not least we got the first real snow (10cm+) that didn't turn to rain before I was out driving- and I got to put my Hercules Avalanche RG2 Winter Tires to the test. These are a cheap off brand tire that is apparently made by nokian, and I can say that I am extremely happy. My last car (MK4) had narrow Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s and I can honestly say these are ahead. They handled deep snow like a CHAMP. Very predictable, and very little slippage. Slush performance is excellent as is their performance in rain. These have also worn way less than my old blizzaks, and have now crushed my fuel economy (approx 8L/100km during winter). This is a far cry from my experience with blizzaks and I can definitely say that my gamble on cheap tires paid off. These are obviously not high performance tires (170kph top speed) and traction control does come on occasionally when I floor it in second or first on dry days, but thats not what these are for. They're for excellent winter performance and they have exceeded my expectations- a balance of excellent snow performance AND surprisingly good dry performance with no fuel economy hit. I do beleive that these were probably made by nokian as the tread pattern is almost identical as past gen hakkaleiptas (and they even say they're made in some nordic country). Highly recommend these specifically if you don't want to break the bank.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
yeah I would have to agree, Aerofab rear wing extension not my cup of tea either - but it's good to have choices. Love this colour, My cousin just picked up a golf in white silver as well!