GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Wait, there’s no prizes?

1604245566526.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Somebody with the skills and tools to swap an engine or do the repair could fix it for ~$3k. A 2016 GTI with 46k miles (or maybe less if they get a donor engine) is currently worth quite a bit more than $15k. Key word is "currently", since the used car market is so fucked right now.

If the right person found it, I don't think $12k is an unreasonable private sale price.

Personally, I wouldn't feel like dealing with all that, and try to talk the dealer willing to take it in on a trade up a bit and try and get closer to the original $11k.

That's not the way it works value wise tho. A non running car is a huge question mark, you don't know what else is broken, so you have to go into it expecting the worst. The value of the car with a swapped engine is also impacted. Basically it's worth what it is in parts. I can't see a private person, IE, not someone who owns a shop, buying this car and swapping in a motor. Maybe a shop will be interested but they're going to want meat on the bone to ensure they're going to make a profit. That means not paying $12k.

cb1111

What's the trade-in value of the car - assuming no engine damage?
We can assume a trade in value with the bad motor of $9500
We know the OP owes $16k - so if he were to trade it in, he'd need to come up with $6500
Can the OP get the car repaired for the difference between that $9500 and the trade-in value

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What's the trade-in value of the car - assuming no engine damage?
We can assume a trade in value with the bad motor of $9500
We know the OP owes $16k - so if he were to trade it in, he'd need to come up with $6500
Can the OP get the car repaired for the difference between that $9500 and the trade-in value

In my opinion yes. The other cylinders had good compression so he could get the number 3 cylinder honed and replace the piston for less than $6500.

cb1111

In my opinion yes. The other cylinders had good compression so he could get the number 3 cylinder honed and replace the piston for less than $6500.
Agreed, but what he owes has nothing to do with the value of the car. Until we know that, we can't really tell him how deep he is in.

The other question, of course, is what price they are offering him on the 19.