GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My TPC20 Turbo Build... NOW TPC38BB Build

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On paper the TPC20 CHRA is realiable. But the fact is that shafts should not be snapping. Especially not at such low miles. I'm going to trust that the turbo was run at 28 psi and not overspun. I'm going to trust the DV was working to prevent surge (but @BecauseMotor has DSG). That leaves the most likely issue lubrication. :(

Shafts aren't snapping. There's only been 2 failures and we only know for sure that just 1 of them was because the shaft snapped.. If it was a lubrication problem I would expect bearings failure first. If it was lots of shafts that would be different.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Shafts aren't snapping. There's only been 2 failures and we only know for sure that just 1 of them was because the shaft snapped.. If it was a lubrication problem I would expect bearings failure first. If it was lots of shafts that would be different.

Okay, a shaft snapped. Shouldn't happen. Turbos blowing up at 2k miles is not supposed to happen.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay, a shaft snapped. Shouldn't happen. Turbos blowing up at 2k miles is not supposed to happen.

Nope it's not supposed to happen. But things that aren't supposed to happen do happen. We just can't make a big deal about just 1 case so far. If it starts happening to more of them then they'll need to find out why and if the shaft just failed or something about a tune etc caused it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I paid $500 for the upgrade to the TPC38 BB.
They were going to replace TPC20 (journal) free of charge to me.
No comment on what could have caused the failure. Shit breaks.
And not sure how you can get them for labor charges.
If I did my own maintenance, not sure I could ask them to compensate my time.

And yes, I wish I had logs too. Still won't because UM is the bestest.

How does the TPC20 compare to the TPC IS38 in spool and power potential?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I like TPC and they have good service but their website sucks. They don't show wheel sizes or really much info at all about their hybrid turbos.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Here's my update. 1-5 we already know so more of a recap.
  1. Turbo started to fail on my way to mechanic when I was going in for MPI install.
  2. Mechanic tested car, did not hear turbo death whine I did. Proceeded with MPI install.
  3. 1st dyno run after install, TPC20 blew.
  4. Contacted Nick at TPC and he offered to replace the TPC20 free of charge. He also, asked me to not share any photos of the failure on the forums.
  5. After a bit more questioning about the the TPC20, Nick offered up the TPC38 Ball Bearing turbo for an additional $500. I accepted.
  6. After 2 weeks of waiting for them to manufacture, it arrived a few days after they shipped it.
  7. Mechanic received it, so no pics of it from me unfortunately.
  8. Put down 473whp/437wtq running full e85.
  9. Max boost of 30psi was reached at 4500rpm.
  10. Tuned with UM
dyno is a 4th gear pull

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 9.43.03 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 9.43.03 AM.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 221

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion

Navi

Autocross Champion
  1. Contacted Nick at TPC and he offered to replace the TPC20 free of charge. He also, asked me to not share any photos of the failure on the forums.
dyno is a 4th gear

I don’t believe you. Liar. Post the chat.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I don’t believe you. Liar. Post the chat.
lol at you calling someone a liar and than demanding they post a chat

Where is my damn kettle?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Here's my update. 1-5 we already know so more of a recap.
  1. Turbo started to fail on my way to mechanic when I was going in for MPI install.
  2. Mechanic tested car, did not hear turbo death whine I did. Proceeded with MPI install.
  3. 1st dyno run after install, TPC20 blew.
  4. Contacted Nick at TPC and he offered to replace the TPC20 free of charge. He also, asked me to not share any photos of the failure on the forums.
  5. After a bit more questioning about the the TPC20, Nick offered up the TPC38 Ball Bearing turbo for an additional $500. I accepted.
  6. After 2 weeks of waiting for them to manufacture, it arrived a few days after they shipped it.
  7. Mechanic received it, so no pics of it from me unfortunately.
  8. Put down 473whp/437wtq running full e85.
  9. Max boost of 30psi was reached at 4500rpm.
  10. Tuned with UM
dyno is a 4th gear pull
do you have one showing the RPMS?