GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Tornado Red GT 2.0TDi

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
I have had the Golf for 5 weeks now and have clocked up 1600 miles so far and thought I would share a few photos and give my impressions on the car.

For me, Tornado red was the first choice of colour and I was really surprised I didn't have to pay any extra for it.

It just reminded me of my old MK2 Big Bumper GTI 16V from 1991.....

I ordered the car in the first week of January and wanted to spec it up with the 17" Singapore alloys at an extra £280.
My dealer did a search on the VW system and told me there were none already build with those wheels. There was however a red one sitting Dockside with the 18" Serron alloys.... At £710 extra.
I said it was too much, so he offered to discount them by £100 if I took the car.... I'm so glad I did. The car was with me in two and a half weeks.
They look the part in my opinion and the ride is not at all harsh with them. The Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres do appear a little bit noisy, but the grip is excellent and they make the ride feel almost luxurious.

I was promised the Sports Gear knob as a free extra, but this was on back-order. When it did eventually arrive it didn't fit the RHD car. As I've already posted on here, the surround runs off on one side therefore the RHD and LHD cars have different fittings. The part has been returned to VW and when I last checked, VW have returned it again to the dealer informing him that he has given them back the wrong part. Also, the item now seems to have been withdrawn from the UK accessory list. So, I'm still hoping to hear from someone who has received the Sports gear knob for their RHD car. Here, again are the images of what it looks like

I decided a few weeks after getting the car that I would like a set of the rubber floor mats and was given these free of charge, partly because of the hassle with the gear knob and also because I introduced a friend who bought a used car from them.

As also posted earlier, I added the chrome tail pipes as suggested by vwman in a previous thread.... very happy with the results and delivered to my door for £28
http://www.skodaparts.com/product/yeti-sports-exhaust-trim-2010-2013-50265

Economy was not good until now.... the engine has loosened up a bit and is giving me well over 50mpg on my daily commute.
The interior is very comfortable and I especially like the flat bottom steering wheel and white LED lighting.... this includes the front footwells and door cards.
The puddle lights under the exterior mirrors look cool as well.

The driving modes really do make a bit of a difference. ECO makes the car a bit lazy, but improves the MPG. I've used the Sport mode a few times and it does sharpen up the accelerator a bit and tightens the steering too.

I bought an Autoglym lifeshine pack off ebay and applied it to the Golf yesterday. I was surprised that already there were quite a few tar marks to be cleaned from the paintwork, but the results are worth it.

So what next? I quite fancy a set of the alloy pedals and a roof spoiler. If the gear knob doesn't work out, then I might look at the GTi one when it comes out. If it fitted, it would look well with the red stitching..........

My wife bought a new VW Tiguan 170 TDi Sport last year. It is due road tax next week..... £170 compared to £20 for the Golf. Also, it is down about 15mpg on the Golf.
Since driving my car my wife has admitted that she jumped too soon and much prefers the Golf. So the Tig is getting neglected a little and I am finding myself left to drive it a couple of days each week as she keeps stealing my keys!

Last edited:

lesvw123

Ready to race!
Can I ask you about your front seats are you getting any ripples in the material on the front edge it's only happening on the drivers seat
Looking at your pics they look ok
Your car looks nice in red

le0n1

Ready to race!
Are the "knobs" on the wheelbolts standard or did you have to pay extra for them?

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Can I ask you about your front seats are you getting any ripples in the material on the front edge it's only happening on the drivers seat
Looking at your pics they look ok
Your car looks nice in red

No, seats are like new. And I'm quite chunky!

Betty Swollocks

Ready to race!
Cheers I am going to book mine back in at the dealers the drivers seat looks like shit when you get out of it your left with about 3 big ripples in the material on the front edge ,I think the cover is to loose

It must be a fault. I don't like VW leather for that same reason.
But I've never had wear or sagging on a VW fabric car seat before.

lesvw123

Ready to race!
It must be a fault. I don't like VW leather for that same reason.
But I've never had wear or sagging on a VW fabric car seat before.

They have had a look at it but wanted to see if any others were like that but by looking at yours there is a fault with mine yours is perfect and mine has only done 300 miles

Golf MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Very nice. It looks good in red. I like ur number plates, good choice. Also, you have a nice place there mate.

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
i love it, the wheels make it look so much better

oh, and hide the keys from your wife :D

GTWebb

Love the chrome exhausts.. are they easy to fit? I'm very tempted to order for when my GT arrives.. also has it affected your insurance with it being an alteration etc

Lgolf1

The seats are really THAT comfortable? And the 6 speed manual is nice to drive? I still don't know which one do I choose: the DSG 7 speed or the 6 speed manual...
By the way, amazing car! Absolutely beautiful!