GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Thoughts on Cobb EQT base maps vs Eurodyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
I finally got on the TCU tune train, but am waiting in Ed's backlog line for the real file. ;)

Even the Cobb sport tune is a vast improvement over stock though. Closer to how I would shift around town, but seems to be 100% speedo driven on some shifts (like 4-5), leading to gear hunting if trying to cruise at 40 mph.

Question: when the clutch pressure limits are removed, I assume the higher clamping force is driven by torque demand? Like, something linear or on a curve?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Wait, some of you want the tcu to upshift at 2000rpm or downshift from 2000rpm? Personally I don’t let my engine ride below 2500 at which point a down shift is required w any mild acceleration or just cuz <2500rpm. I’d rather feel my car’s third gear pull on mild (any) throttle @3000rpm than same in fourth gear at 2500rpm.

I can’t believe some of you actually ride below 2000rpm, and want it to actually upshift at 2000rpm. That must be 4-5th gear territory in 40-50mph zone?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait, some of you want the tcu to upshift at 2000rpm or downshift from 2000rpm? Personally I don’t let my engine ride below 2500 at which point a down shift is required w any mild acceleration or just cuz <2500rpm. I’d rather feel my car’s third gear pull on mild (any) throttle @3000rpm than same in fourth gear at 2500rpm.

I can’t believe some of you actually ride below 2000rpm, and want it to actually upshift at 2000rpm. That must be 4-5th gear territory in 40-50mph zone?

I agree. Upshifting at 2000 RPM in a lower gear is lugging the motor which isn't good. Worse gas mileage that way also.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

I agree. Upshifting at 2000 RPM in a lower gear is lugging the motor which isn't good. Worse gas mileage that way also.

It's more than just "some of us" that want a shift below 2000 rpm at light pedal input. Evidence from data collected using the GTI stock TCU tune indicates there were some people at Volkswagen who wanted that also, since that is how VW programmed the transmission control. Interesting that they didn't catch the problems you've identified, have you contacted VW to bring these concerns to their attention?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Problem?

I dont have a problem, i drive a manual. I just cant understand that so many of you want that, just like i dont understand millions who wanted communism. Just because millions wanted it and still do it doesnt make it for me or right, have you considered that? Didnt expect this kind of “argument” from you. Why did you tune the car at all if you agree with everything those same engineers did?

I on the other hand use 1-2000rpm range to start rolling in 1st when i drop my clutch. Thats about the only time, otherwise im never below 2500.

At 25% throttle input im entering boost. So unless i like accelerating like a granny with 10-15% throttle input i would absolutely not wanna be in sub 2k rpm range when boosting. Dunno that my car would boost so low.. never tried. Call me crazy but i like to ride the powerband of my tuned car which is 3000-5500 rpm.. so i roll at 2800-3200rpm. Happens to equate nicely with limits and speeding too for me at 45mph and 55mph in 3rd and 4th respectively at ~3000rpm.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's more than just "some of us" that want a shift below 2000 rpm at light pedal input. Evidence from data collected using the GTI stock TCU tune indicates there were some people at Volkswagen who wanted that also, since that is how VW programmed the transmission control. Interesting that they didn't catch the problems you've identified, have you contacted VW to bring these concerns to their attention?

Um... while I enjoy reading your typical data you post, this response above is ridiculous. It’s unnecessarily condescending/rude and frankly an overcompensation.
Because they don’t “agree” with you....

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Problem?

I dont have a problem, i drive a manual. I just cant understand that so many of you want that, just like i dont understand millions who wanted communism. Just because millions wanted it and still do it doesnt make it for me or right, have you considered that? Didnt expect this kind of “argument” from you. Why did you tune the car at all if you agree with everything those same engineers did?

I on the other hand use 1-2000rpm range to start rolling in 1st when i drop my clutch. Thats about the only time, otherwise im never below 2500.

At 25% throttle input im entering boost. So unless i like accelerating like a granny with 10-15% throttle input i would absolutely not wanna be in sub 2k rpm range when boosting. Dunno that my car would boost so low.. never tried. Call me crazy but i like to ride the powerband of my tuned car which is 3000-5500 rpm.. so i roll at 2800-3200rpm. Happens to equate nicely with limits and speeding too for me at 45mph and 55mph in 3rd and 4th respectively at ~3000rpm.

I said this in my previous reply to Ed and will say it again, the desire to have the car shift at or below 2000 rpm is limited to when pedal input is in the 5-10% range. This is just a touch over coasting, the lightest pedal input that gets the car moving, yes, accelerating like a granny. With more pedal input that shift point moves up.

The picture below illustrates the concept, though I'd prefer to see the lower end of the line raised a touch to around 1900 rpm.

Here's what the EQT tune did (v1.3) with the same shift:

As Ed mentioned, he aims to keep the minimum shift point around 2100-2200. I don't care for that and would rather have the shifting in the 5-10% range be around 1900 rpm.

I don't know that "so many" of us want the car to drive this way, I'm expressing what I like and what I've logged the stock tuning doing. I do like the shifting to be at a higher rpm than stock even at the low end, just not as high as what EQT is using as the minimum.

I'm very skeptical of the claims that Volkswagen designed the shifting logic in a way that lugs the engine, risks LSPI, and hurts fuel economy.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
You could almost do away with 1st gear on a DSG for daily driving. That aside, I'm glad to see pedal input play a factor, as it should. My observation about the Cobb file was at 5% or less it changes gears 4 to 5, 5 to 4 just because the speedo touches 40 mph. That is rather annoying.

Kind of surprised that Strat file shifts before the power band even at 30% pedal. You're wanting to at least get going at that pedal input.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Stija- did you buy an mk7 yet? If not, why TF are you commenting about the transmission of a car you neither have nor (I assume) you've never driven? Why are you always trying to compare mk7s to your POS Subaru? GTFO. You've already been banned, why would you continue to come back to a forum in which you're not wanted?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@MyGolfMk7 .. am I reading that right that stratifieds tune shifts from 1st into 2nd with 9% pedal input at 1300rpm? That’s ridiculous to me.

So where does that put you.. at 1000rpm or below in 2nd @9% throttle? Why would anyone want to lug the engine like that? I feel like my car is choking or struggling when it’s below 1500rpm in 2nd which is where it can only happen for me, I won’t downshift into 1st unless I’m almost stopped.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
You guys both reported eachothers posts within 2 minutes of eachother. I guess you think moderators like wasting time to settle disputes between children like we're some sort of babysitter eh? Stop with the garbage posting both of you or the next step will be banning. There's an ignore user function that works well, use it.

SmartSelect_20191205-105139_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.