GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My symphony of suspension noises

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
FWIW, ever since the weather warmed and I sprayed some silicone on the front subframe bushings, the car has been dead silent, front and rear. So my best guess is cold weather temporarily hardens and shrinks some bushings, and they need some regular lubrication.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
FWIW, ever since the weather warmed and I sprayed some silicone on the front subframe bushings, the car has been dead silent, front and rear. So my best guess is cold weather temporarily hardens and shrinks some bushings, and they need some regular lubrication.
Yeah the front of my GT in the morning on the first big dip I hit daily about 65 seconds into my drive it’s sooo Crunchy sounding and then when I hit it on the way home at the same speed it’s dead silent 😅

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah the front of my GT in the morning on the first big dip I hit daily about 65 seconds into my drive it’s sooo Crunchy sounding and then when I hit it on the way home at the same speed it’s dead silent 😅
Similar thing here. Backing out of the garage in the morning and turning full creaks like a mofo. That's the only time I notice it for the rest of the day. I still regularly silicone spray on the bushings, too.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Similar thing here. Backing out of the garage in the morning and turning full creaks like a mofo. That's the only time I notice it for the rest of the day. I still regularly silicone spray on the bushings, too.
Sounds like you need a heated garage

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Front right clunk/rumble sound is back after yesterday’s autocross event. It seems more and more likely this is a bushing, right? Driving hard on 200tw tires through 11ty slaloms would put wear on any weak rubber parts, I assume. The question is which bushing(s)….

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
In my experience, these cars like to eat front strut mounts and bearings - especially when lowered. At your mileage, that would be my first and best guess for front end clunking noises.
Not lowered and the strut mounts and bearings only have a few thousand miles on them. I had this noise before they were replaced, too 🧐

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not lowered and the strut mounts and bearings only have a few thousand miles on them. I had this noise before they were replaced, too 🧐
It has a to be 1) LCA bushings or 2) sway bar end links.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It has a to be 1) LCA bushings or 2) sway bar end links.
Front end links are basically new and confirmed tight. Gotta be LCA. Any chance the front sway bar bushings could be the culprit?

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
what do you mean by front subframe bushings?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
the only "subframe bushing" we have is the dogbone mount bushing. The creaking sound is usually the LCA bushings or the sway bar bushings. Endlinks will be more of a clunk.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
the only "subframe bushing" we have is the dogbone mount bushing. The creaking sound is usually the LCA bushings or the sway bar bushings. Endlinks will be more of a clunk.
Yes probably control arm bushings then. Those don’t connect to the subframe? I’m not familiar enough to know exactly what the parts are called, apologies.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have a guy suggesting the noise could be the CV axle. Does that seem feasible? There are no physical signs of that (leaking or tearing), and no clicking or other noises when turning. No vibrations either.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have a guy suggesting the noise could be the CV axle. Does that seem feasible? There are no physical signs of that (leaking or tearing), and no clicking or other noises when turning. No vibrations either.
Doubtful, easy test for cv’s is to go to a parking lot - windows down - full lock on wheel and drive 5mph both clockwise and counter - if you got noisy CV’s you’ll get a very pronounced clicking