GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my new to me 2018 Golf R

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
Upgraded from my 2017 GTI sport and boy am I glad I did, lots of people told me to just chip the GTI and be happy, but snow trips, and more power and a nicer leather interior were my goals, the CPO warranty is a major plus too, bought it for 35K with 10K miles, 0% 60 months (covid Deal) , and its a CPO, so my warranty is good until 84K or 7 years. thats awesome!, Ill post this in the wheels tire thread, but thought id throw it out here to get some opinions on the tire size I went with. ,, the car came with the Englishtowns, so I just went all in and put on a set of 19" X 8.5 Neuspeed RS102's with 245/35 ZR19"

I was back and forth on going with the 18's or 19's, I'm glad I chose the 19'"s. I was worried because the stock conti's were harsh to me. But the difference from 235 to 245 definitely adds a bit of cushion and the car noticeable smoother and plusher over the bumps now.

Im a sucker for the Oryx white and black gloss look, I was up in the air on that and went back and forth from gunmetal, to bronze, to the hyper black, Neuspeed had only one model in gloss black the 102's, so i nabbem em, but to me my car is perfect now. Really happy with how it came out.

My questions:

One question I have is the auto shut off feature of the car when you stop, can this be turned off? In hot so cal the AC is interrupted when the car shuts off at red lights or the AC is noticeably less when it does that, kinda annoying. what do others do in hot climates?

Also a question on the DCC, comfort vs Race, what is actually the difference, tighter steering and rpm's, but what else.

Sometimes when steering on the highway the car wants to pull to one side when I am changing lanes, , could this be a flaw on the electric steering, sometimes it seems downright dangerous? I am not in ACC when it does this bytw.

cheers and happy to be a Golf R owner,

PS> ski trips are in my agenda with this car, and it is so much more fun than the GTI.

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 258

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Is there a button on the left side of the shift knob that turns off auto start/stop? I have a manual so I might be wrong about this, but I thought there was a button there that turns it off. It can also be coded off completely with a vagcom or obd11.

Comfort has softer suspension, the steering isn't as tight and the throttle is a little less responsive. It also keeps the exhaust quieter by keeping the exhaust valves closed. In race mode the exhaust will get louder as the valves open up. I believe it also adjusts the volume of the soundaktor.

It sounds like you've got lane assist on and it's trying to keep you in the lane you're in. Definitely turn that off.

martinm0

Congrats on the upgrade!

I agree with @sterkrazzy's response. I also have a manual, so I can't comment specifically, but I know this can be defeated.

Regarding the car pulling, I had this same issue and it was due to the lane keep assist. I usually drive on non-highways and the feature was just a nuisance. Disable it and hopefully that fixes your issue.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Use your blinker (dang SoCal drivers 😆) and lane assist won't pull when you change lanes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can just unplug auto start/stop from the side of the battery. Takes 5 seconds. No OBDeleven or VCDS necessary.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Start/Stop should NOT shut off car if certain conditions arise, like high temps and AC on. It should override it depending how hot it is. Lane Assist is pulling you because you are not using your signal. Are you a bad driver'? haha. You can disable it in settings menu if it annoys you. Also Race mode does disable Start/Stop by default.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
You live in San Diego. I couldn't think of a place in the USA where you need AWD less, lol!

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all. Figured out the lane assist Duh that was easy. The start stop still goes on in race mode. So I’m still trying to figure that out perhaps my ac isn’t turned up enough. I’m ok with it on but just didn’t like the ac turning off on me at stop lights. I don’t see any start stop button anywhere.

Are most people with 19”s using a 245 tire size. Figment seems perfect and the car is a whole new car with these tires

one more question. Does anyone use the auto hold button? Andwhen?

AWd I will use for mammoth trips. Planning to get a winter tire setup. Probably on 17”s.

the 911 is a 1988 g50 coupe euro spec with all the right upgrades like a Brembo brake kit , 18” s, persona’l interior.

it’s my ford vs Ferrari track car and a hoot to drive.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Start/Stop should NOT shut off car if certain conditions arise, like high temps and AC on. It should override it depending how hot it is. Lane Assist is pulling you because you are not using your signal. Are you a bad driver'? haha. You can disable it in settings menu if it annoys you. Also Race mode does disable Start/Stop by default.

Mine is not an R but even in Phoenix when it's 110 degrees it was shutting the engine off at stoplights. That's why I disconnected it from the battery.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
how does the comfort mode create a softer suspension. Being that the suspension is a standard dampener, not an air suspension.

Strange question, but has anyone converted the to an air suspension on these vehicles? that would be my dream upgrade.