GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Mk7 GTD Remap

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Ouch! That hurts - I too was offered £18k for mine last week against a factory order 'R'. Mine is 18 months old with 17000 miles so compared to your offer, its not too bad. All the same, I decided to sit tight - especially as there will be a facelift of sorts to the Mk7 in 2016 so I don't want to get caned even worse by changing cars now.

I was getting over 10% discounts on the R though. Very, very tempting!

I will keeping my GTD for another year. Will be ordering my Golf R for a 2017 del & yes this will be mapped, hopefully by Carbon. I may need to lend my car to Nick to develop a unique map and this may involve a strip down & not a flash due to the VW security encription :(.

Watch this space.....

Rappy:cool:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
So it's been 8 mths since my remap & the verdict :D:D. Money very well spent.

Car went in for it's service today, so it was flashed back to the std map. And to my surprise I actually enioyed driving the GTD. It just felt more refined & sedate compared to the remap.

For all you GTD owners out there. I'm really smitten with the way VW have this car set up. Now, would I remap again given the choice..... I hear you ask. Well put simply, If you feel your GTD is lacking a bit of punch & would like a bonkers quick diesel then yes, get it done.

TBH, now I know what the car can do, I'm finding myself now driving the car with performance in mind. And I'm starting to question getting a Golf R.:confused::confused:.

After 2 hrs driving in std map, the car just feels flat when overtaking. Not slow but flat. You dont get the huge shove of torque that I love with the remap.

So to close, car is just being flashed back to remap:D.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kapitan
The positive reports of this remap are strongly tempting me to ring Nick and get one ordered! (emailed him about a week ago but sounds like he is a busy chap).

For those that have done this and told their insurer, can anyone recommend insurers who won't ask for a crazy extra premium? I spoke to mine (Axa) and they wouldn't insure full stop with a remap.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Try LV - I'm with them and they accept mods - business mileage plus four modifications - ECU /engine tune/re-map, exhaust, suspension, and front/rear spoilers...fully Comp with Protected NCB - under £300. But I am 50 :eek:....

Last edited:

mon2s

Ready to race!
So, what are you getting next Mon2s? Any negatives for you with the remap?.

I nearly went for an R a few weeks ago but I will sit tight and see what the 2016 'facelift' brings. I've also half a mind to just keep it until the mk8 unless anything else takes my eye. It is rare I keep a car more than two years. This GTD is the best all round car I've had for years and I'd hate to trade it and regret it!

I LOVE the remap. Have you noticed any change since your service? Mine has dropped 5mpg both with and without the map. It is also a bit 'jittery' when holding a steady 40 in 4th with the map like it is itching to go.

Last edited:

Will22

Hi Mozz, colour wise, I can't fault the pure white. I have seen a few reds & they look stunning. Also, the pearl white appeals. Lots of choices :eek::eek:.

I have not changed my opinion on the map. Always showing over 50 mpg per tank. The best money spent.

First post here because I have just joined.

I am looking to get a golf Mk7 estate for the wife to replace her VW CC and see wants a GTD tuned and I want her to get an R

She has had a bit of work done on the car and it is somewhere north of 230bhp as that was what we found was the most the car could deal with without becoming undriveable in anything but perfect conditions. We even looked into a diff but it was going to cost too much as we only keep cars for a max of 3 years. The one thing that helped the most was a set of Michelin Pilot Cup 2's

One of the things she loves about the CC is that it doesn't look like it is a performance car so that is why she doesn't want to go for an R but I think the GTD tuned could be just the car for her.

Tow things I don't like about the Golf estate is that there is no 19" wheel option and no LED rear lights, come on VW.

Her CC is in Oryx white BTW and I love the colour and it was definitely worth the extra £1145 but on the Golf estate I think limestone or carbon are the best colours. The only thing I don't like about Oryx is that it needs to be sunny or under lights to see the colour right.

Couple of question about the Golf, is the discovery pro worth the extra money? She doesn't use sat nav that much by the way.

Also is there any option to get LED rear lights, really can't believe VW didn't spend a little more to add them.

SLE1R

Remap options

My first post on this forum, thanks to all the contributors for the really knowledgable information on here including this post.

My GTD is 3 years old in the next few weeks so its time for a remap.

Based upon the posts on this forum I am going to go with a remap rather than a tuning box.

The Carbon map has really good reviews so seems like the best option at the moment however I would like to get some feedback on the alternative options. Do any of you guys have any feedback on :

Superchips / Bluefin
Revo
AMD

Revo was my original preferred choice as there is a dealer near to me in Surrey/Sussex. Carbon (Cheshire) puts me off a little due to the distance. Not that it would be the end of the world but I would prefer someone local to talk /take it to if there is any drama.

I dont want a Ferrari, just something that will do the day to day as well as it does at the moment but have that little bit more on tap when I want it.

Thoughts guys? Thank you.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
My first post on this forum, thanks to all the contributors for the really knowledgable information on here including this post.

My GTD is 3 years old in the next few weeks so its time for a remap.

Based upon the posts on this forum I am going to go with a remap rather than a tuning box.

The Carbon map has really good reviews so seems like the best option at the moment however I would like to get some feedback on the alternative options. Do any of you guys have any feedback on :

Superchips / Bluefin
Revo
AMD

Revo was my original preferred choice as there is a dealer near to me in Surrey/Sussex. Carbon (Cheshire) puts me off a little due to the distance. Not that it would be the end of the world but I would prefer someone local to talk /take it to if there is any drama.

I dont want a Ferrari, just something that will do the day to day as well as it does at the moment but have that little bit more on tap when I want it.

Thoughts guys? Thank you.

As mentined by many Carbon map is great:D

Carbon do a bluefin of sorts. You can load the map yourself so no need to travel. It's called the U Flash.

My GTD is going, as I have my new car coming in November Audi SQ5 Plus. Not sure I will bother with a remap just yet:eek::eek: 340PS & 700nm is plenty. But I may give Nick a call just to get an idea.

Give Nick a call & PM if you get no reply. I mentioned to Nick only last week about my new car, but I have no plans to remap just yet.

The remap is a peach & really makes the GTD. I have had no issues with the remap.

SLE1R

Thanks Rappy, i've enjoyed your other posts about the carbon map.

We looked at the SQ5 but my partner preferred the new Disco sport so we got one of those last year. Really good car but crying out for a beefier engine. IMO it could easily handle 300bhp if it were possible to do so.

Will contact Nick to talk about my options. Would still love to hear about any reports on the other options though.

Simon.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Prior to Carbon, I would of been looking at Superchips & Revo etc... At that time there was not much choice for the GTD.

Internet is your friend & after various research Mk6 GTD remaps, I came across Nick & Carbon. At that time, they were running a MK 7 GTD with a remap.

After a read of a thread on this map & speaking to Nick I was sold. He really is customer focussed & his extensive R&D on the Mk7 GTD is what sold it to me.

I would always speak to Nick first as he does alot of work developing maps not just Carbon:D.

All the best Rappy :cool:

Z10001

Passed Driver's Ed
Will ~ 220hp/470nm remap drop 0-100kmh on manual transmission GTD bellow 7 sec?

What do you guys think about remapping 100k+ km car?