GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My JB4, stock clutch and CDV experience

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
I know, with great power comes greater clutch requirements. This isn't about stock MT clutch gripes. just wanted to share.

So around 10k on the odometer I installed JB4 and ran OTS map 6. I did do a pull or two on map 1&2 but all daily was on map 6. I have no other supporting mods as i don't consider the AFE intake, TMD, and muffler delete to do anything other than give me noise. Noise that i do enjoy.

So sunday i get bored and think, why not lets take out that stupid valve in the bleeder block. So i proceed to do so and successfully​ get it out and accomplish bleeding the clutch. 14k on the odometer now FWIW

Next day ambient temps did drop to about 45 degrees and i was playing around with a mustang. And then bam! Clutch slip!

Now a few times i did notice a little flutter of the RPMs in 3rd around 3-4k but thought well that could be slip or tires(firehalks indy 500's) loosing grip. Wasn't really sure.

But after CDV removal the slip was evident. Even in map 0 i can get that little questionable fluter. I wonder how long the vauge clutch engagement was hiding slip

So conclusion.... SB stage 2 endurance going in friday. Only 4k miles on JB4 and CDV removal to get the hint

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Yeah im going to try to see what i can get too with out it as i like my exhaust note as it is. I think it may be too loud for my taste with a dp. But my goal is 300 whp so i may have to deal

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah im going to try to see what i can get too with out it as i like my exhaust note as it is. I think it may be too loud for my taste with a dp. But my goal is 300 whp so i may have to deal

You can get 300whp without a DP but you want the turbo to breath easier.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
You can get 300whp without a DP but you want the turbo to breath easier.
Can't say i disagree with you. Ive been enjoying modding this car. My thinking was when i did go DP i would probably swap to clubsport muffler. But i did make alot of effort to get muffler delete sounding good to my ears inside and out... Mostly inside though. Another thing to note is the car is still fun at stock power levels now that jb4 is off till clutch gets in and broken in. I thought i would be sad

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Can't say i disagree with you. Ive been enjoying modding this car. My thinking was when i did go DP i would probably swap to clubsport muffler. But i did make alot of effort to get muffler delete sounding good to my ears inside and out... Mostly inside though. Another thing to note is the car is still fun at stock power levels now that jb4 is off till clutch gets in and broken in. I thought i would be sad

If you're gonna pair a DP with the Clubsport S muffler, make sure you get Catted+Resonated and turn off the soundaktor completely.

Mine got even louder the more miles I've done... hoping that when I switch to catted/res dp that the sound will remain the same, I don't want it any louder lol. It's fine when moving around below 3k, but above 3k...

It's fairly good with just the CSS muffler, but if paired with a dp it gets crazy. Check CLOUT's build thread. He's currently running APR DP with CSS muffler and he said it's pretty damn loud lol.

Last edited:

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
If you're gonna pair a DP with the Clubsport S muffler, make sure you get Catted+Resonated and turn off the soundaktor completely.

Mine got even louder the more miles I've done... hoping that when I switch to catted/res dp that the sound will remain the same, I don't want it any louder lol. It's fine when moving around below 3k, but above 3k...

It's fairly good with just the CSS muffler, but if paired with a dp it gets crazy. Check CLOUT's build thread. He's currently running APR DP with CSS muffler and he said it's pretty damn loud lol.
Damn that sucks. I know the DP is a restriction point just sucks Because i really am pleased where my exhaust sound is at. In retrospect i will be getting to enjoy playing with jb4 now and not having to baby the clutch.

I guess the biggest thing i wanted to get across was that the CDV was covering up or masking some slippage

But i do appreciate all the DP input guys!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
timneedscoffee10,

Every car is different. You can't really use another persons car as an example of "if or when" your clutch will slip.

They all will slip. Just put the money aside, or run less boost in the less aggressive map until you are ready to replace. The only real factor is...less power increase = less chance of slip :). Worried? Drop the boost back more.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
timneedscoffee10,

Every car is different. You can't really use another persons car as an example of "if or when" your clutch will slip.

They all will slip. Just put the money aside, or run less boost in the less aggressive map until you are ready to replace. The only real factor is...less power increase = less chance of slip :). Worried? Drop the boost back more.

Haha - yeah, I get it :). Just gauging my rate of savings for it on various stories. If she starts slipping, she starts slipping. I've been babying her, even with the JB6. I did 3 clutches on my MK6, so I know the game we play.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
So you ran JB4 on Map 6 for about 4k miles before the slip began to occur? Just trying to gauge how long I might have to save up for my new clutch ... installed my JB4 with 1,200 miles on the odo running Map 6, bone-stock otherwise.
Yeah 4k. I thought id seen clutch slip but the day after i did the clutch delay valve delete on a cool morning (45 deg)i was able to identify and reproduce slip. I turned jb4 to map 0 went i got to work. Since then slip has been vauge and intermittent definitely not clear as day as the cooler morning on map 6. My thinking is the delay valve dampen the clutch engagement to a point that the pressure plate and disc have enough time to grab. It was after a few quick shift and pulls that it started. Im a mechanic but not an auto mechanic so i may be off on how these components actually work

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Slippage after CDV removal was just a coincidence - it's the drop in temps that did it.
Lower IAT=higher torque.
I did say that i thought i saw what may have been slip but wasn't 100% sure as it was vauge and intermittent. The fact that removing a component and then having an easily identifiable symptom is the only reason im making the observation and considering the idea the the delay valve had hidden slippage or even may have been prolonging clutch life. Just a thought

Last edited: