GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My hoaxwagen dealership experience

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my 2018 GTI SE DSG CPO in January with around 26k miles. It now has around 33k and has had maintained. In February right after having it ceramic coated and tinted, a driver cut me off and kicked tons of loose gravel and small rocks on my car, cracking windshield and messing up the bumper, hood, front fender paint. Zero parts replaced, just paint and new windshield.

Fast forward to this week. I had light on dash rear tail light blinker and I have condensation in LED cover. Also, coolant has started leaking and car has been stuttering at low speeds and has had cylinder misfires 2 and 3. I call dealer and get scheduled after begging. Long warranty and can't use it because you can't get appointment.

Yesterday I bring car in and they bring the Carfax report showing mild moderate damage from "accident". Trying to use this as questioning LED light warranty and charge me $165 for diagnostic fee. They say if they get in there and it's been repainted, modified no coverage. I'm like no problem, it's all OEM zero touching. She comes back holding taillight with water pouring out and says they'll have to talk to manager to see if they can cover because water wouldn't have moved plug?? Kidding me.

So, my car is there until at least mid week and I'm at mercy of service manager for a part that's covered under warranty. And they are replacing ignition coils, plugs, thermostat housing and I asked about water pump.

This is my first Volkswagen and not great experience. I come from Mazda's and Honda's but always loved GTI's. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry so long.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It’s CPO so I’d just go to a different dealership with a better reputation. Sounds like they’re jerking your around.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s CPO so I’d just go to a different dealership with a better reputation. Sounds like they’re jerking your around.
Understand, problem is where I live there are 3 and they ALL stink. Also, time. Me and most people don't have the time to just keep running around multiple dealerships and have no car. None are giving loaners. Yes, it's under warranty obviously but due to "Carfax" they are trying to use minor accident to not cover warranty work. Also, they refused to give me a copy of MY Carfax report.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Totally understood. The whole things really reeks. Contacting VW is a good suggestion in lieu of going somewhere else.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I really wanted to put this out to inform others just because you have a "long warranty" like me doesn't make ownership experience great. Where I live we have 3 dealers and it's a month to get in and when you do they try to hose you. So I ask others, what good is your warranty if you can't use it?

This was my fear buying a Volkswagen. I never had these kind of experiences with Honda and Mazda or wife with Toyota.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
I've yet to use warranty on my MK7.5 but on my MK6s, never had an issue with warranty work.
Lucky you. Many others have. MK6s were notorious for issues. Thermostat housing and water pumps shouldn't be having to constantly be replaced along with ignition coils and misfires. These are all normal on the forum. This car has zero mods, tunes.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Lucky you. Many others have. MK6s were notorious for issues. Thermostat housing and water pumps shouldn't be having to constantly be replaced along with ignition coils and misfires. These are all normal on the forum. This car has zero mods, tunes.
100% agree on the water pumps. My first MK6 had like 3-4 water pump replacements due to noise and/or leaking.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So, I really wanted to put this out to inform others just because you have a "long warranty" like me doesn't make ownership experience great. Where I live we have 3 dealers and it's a month to get in and when you do they try to hose you. So I ask others, what good is your warranty if you can't use it?

This was my fear buying a Volkswagen. I never had these kind of experiences with Honda and Mazda or wife with Toyota.
An unfortunate situation with the dealer network in your area, I guess. I've never had any warranty or scheduling issues with VW where I am. Unfortunately all dealership owners are not created equal.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
How did Carfax get the gravel incident reported as a "minor accident"? Was this covered under insurance and it was reported that way by the insurance company? And how is that an "accident" anyway? Windshield replacement due to gravel is never reported as far as I know, at least not to Carfax and not as an accident. Even so, paint chips are not an "accident" unless there's real damage from a hit.

I'm confused.

Even so, a rear tail light was not involved in the FRONT gravel damage so it's clearly not an issue. They're just messing with you and the above advice to contact VW of America is good.

How can 3 dealers be so backed up with cars you can't get an appointment for months? Sounds like VW is not the brand to buy!

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
How did Carfax get the gravel incident reported as a "minor accident"? Was this covered under insurance and it was reported that way by the insurance company? And how is that an "accident" anyway? Windshield replacement due to gravel is never reported as far as I know, at least not to Carfax and not as an accident. Even so, paint chips are not an "accident" unless there's real damage from a hit.

I'm confused.

Even so, a rear tail light was not involved in the FRONT gravel damage so it's clearly not an issue. They're just messing with you and the above advice to contact VW of America is good.

How can 3 dealers be so backed up with cars you can't get an appointment for months? Sounds like VW is not the brand to buy!
Everything you are questioning I'm asking the exact same thing. It says minor to moderate. Yes, was reported to insurance because hood, front bumper and front fenders were approved for painting plus windshield. Car looks brand new. But again... zero parts replaced just paint and windshield so it ticks me off about Carfax report because I am contemplating selling and now this is going to lower my offer if I do.

Them not letting me keep a copy of MY Carfax report is not ok. I offered to show documentation and they were like, yeah we don't get involved with that?? Ok.

And I don't know why, but the trying to get appointment here has been nightmare since I bought the car and calling service. I so wanted to like this car but I'm seriously having second thoughts. Although....not sure what to buy even with fair offer. I'm not wanting to drop 35k+ on car.