GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI's Value?

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So my engine just crankwalked on me and is currently at the dealer having the engine replaced. My portion of the bill is going to be around $4000.

As someone who is tuned and worried about crank walk myself, What do you mean your portion of the bill?

Did VW cover any of it? if so how and why

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If you want a house stop messing with cars and dont buy an R

As for your situation

• APR is38 tune 0 resell
  • is38 (which is now toast and would have to be replaced, adding $960) 500$ ?
  • CTS FMIC 450$
  • catted downpipe 250$

About 1200 in parts so lets say 1000 if you sell that stuff. You already bought a new engine and turbo (4000 -1000 in parts = 3k loss)

Sell car

KBB says value for all your setup and miles used 13,000 -16,000 so if you take what you lost, potential gain is $10,000-$13,000 if you factor in, your sell might be harder as you tuned and got crankwalk have mods idn, you could lie, demod, say it was just a daily and is for sale as is and engine and turbo was replaced maybe that first number of 16k could be like 17 or 18 but that would still put you at 13k-15k. I would say take the hit, keep the car til it dies, turn the tune down idn, its fun to go fast but sucks to pay. Either way on the low side expect 10k, high 13-15

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Buy a used Camry and put as much down on a house as possible. I did the opposite and bought this car new, didn't save enough for the down payment and I'm not happy about my stagnant financial situation. Not adding to my savings other than equity into my house and not being able to afford hobbies without draining the bank account makes me sad.
I also have to keep this in mind. There are other nice things in the world I have to pay for besides my car.
As someone who is tuned and worried about crank walk myself, What do you mean your portion of the bill?
Did VW cover any of it? if so how and why
I'm 6000 miles outside of warranty coverage. I basically called VW and explained the situation and they are covering 75% of the cost out of "good will." I'm very lucky they're covering this, but it sucks to think "if only this happened 7000 miles ago under warranty" or "if only I sold the car before it crankwalked." That's $4000 that could've gone to a Golf R, but you can't foresee this stuff happening.

If you really plan to get rid of the car, get something that will still put you on the right track to saving for a house. I worry about crankwalk as well, but also searching for a house so going to ride it out until after a house purchase.
If my math is correct I will still be on track to getting a house with the Golf R. The difference is if I want to afford a house with emergency fund in the next 2 years or the next 4 years.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I also have to keep this in mind. There are other nice things in the world I have to pay for besides my car.

I'm 6000 miles outside of warranty coverage. I basically called VW and explained the situation and they are covering 75% of the cost out of "good will." I'm very lucky they're covering this, but it sucks to think "if only this happened 7000 miles ago under warranty" or "if only I sold the car before it crankwalked." That's $4000 that could've gone to a Golf R, but you can't foresee this stuff happening.

If my math is correct I will still be on track to getting a house with the Golf R. The difference is if I want to afford a house with emergency fund in the next 2 years or the next 4 years.
Whatever you think you can afford, give at least a 25 percent buffer. I thought I could afford my house and my car and still put money away and it's not happening. Furniture, lawn tools, garage tools, house supplies and decorations, it adds up way more that you would expect

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
15K actually seems pretty reasonable but I would bet it takes quite awhile to find a buyer.

Never buy anything at the limit of what you can afford. Especially if you're an unlucky person.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Demod, keep car, buy house, drive until it dies again and then drag it to the junk yard so that other VW's may pick it's rotting carcass of parts so that they may live.

Last edited:

bcgti

Ready to race!
about tree fiddy
1581540490555.png

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
15K actually seems pretty reasonable but I would bet it takes quite awhile to find a buyer.

Never buy anything at the limit of what you can afford. Especially if you're an unlucky person.

My rule is to not buy anything I can't afford two of. We all bite off more than we can chew at one point or another, but the lesson that sticks is this:

When you find yourself in that situation, cut your losses immediately. What will cost you the least money and give you the most freedom?

Every day you endure the scenario is another day of not having any fun and just burning through cash.

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
Get car fixed, sell mods, go back to stock and keep car if you really want a house. Do you know what real estate taxes are like in NJ? :) Not to mention, if something like your HVAC or roof or something else craps out with your soon-to-be house...it could make the $4k car issue look like child's play. Oh, and fund a Roth IRA...and "get off my lawn". -"Dad" PS. I usually charge for this advice, but it's free today.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My rule is to not buy anything I can't afford two of. We all bite off more than we can chew at one point or another, but the lesson that sticks is this:

When you find yourself in that situation, cut your losses immediately. What will cost you the least money and give you the most freedom?

Every day you endure the scenario is another day of not having any fun and just burning through cash.

Yep, $4000 on an engine? Child's play. I was hit with a new roof and HVAC at one time. That takes a dent out of your savings. It's always something owning a house. Just had a tree blow over in a storm. If it had hit my roof, I would have been looking at tree removal and repairing my new roof, which they raised the deductible on last year. Florida problems.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Yep, $4000 on an engine? Child's play. I was hit with a new roof and HVAC at one time. That takes a dent out of your savings. It's always something owning a house. Just had a tree blow over in a storm. If it had hit my roof, I would have been looking at tree removal and repairing my new roof, which they raised the deductible on last year. Florida problems.

I live in a warehouse in a small commercial/industrial park. A quarter the cost for the same amount of space, in the end; and once you're inside, you'd swear you're in a really fancy place.

Since town crept this direction, I'm going to relocate when I'm well enough. This time around I'll be building a compound raised fifteen feet on I beams out of shipping containers and expanded steel. Screw hurricanes. Let them try. I got something for them and the big bad wolf. Blow this, bitches. :cool:

Still cheaper than a house. Of course, I don't have anyone to please but myself...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Rule of thumb to not end up house poor is mortgage should be 1/3 net income. If you push it a whole lot further you have to pull the money from other areas of your life...like savings, vacation, cars, hobbies/disposable income, etc.

For many people mortgage @ 1/3 income is not realistic...but many people are also drowning in debt. The average millennial has a net worth of $8000, and under $5000 of that is savings.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

is38/tune, upgraded clutch and 6,000 miles out of warranty and they still helped you out?? im amazed they did not tell you to pound sand. Did you speak with corprate or just your local dealer? this makes me wonder if they are beggining to acknowledge / take responsibility for whatever flaw is causing so many cases of crank walk.

_cruster

Ready to race!
You got a brand new engine. I'm assuming it comes with a warranty? You're not driving a ticking time bomb - you're driving the exact opposite. Nothing's going to happen - and if it does, it's covered. Keep the car and feel good about driving it.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. A lot of good advice for me to think about.

is38/tune, upgraded clutch and 6,000 miles out of warranty and they still helped you out?? im amazed they did not tell you to pound sand. Did you speak with corprate or just your local dealer? this makes me wonder if they are beggining to acknowledge / take responsibility for whatever flaw is causing so many cases of crank walk.
I did have to call VW Customer Care to have them open a case and eventually they did agree to cover part of it. Here's the thing, though. They never asked about any mods to begin with and they haven't scanned the car to flag TD1 or anything. I think because it's not technically a warranty coverage and it's "good will," they're not actually checking for warranty-breaking things maybe?
In a weird way I might have lucked out by having my engine blow up after my warranty expired instead of during my warranty.

You got a brand new engine. I'm assuming it comes with a warranty? You're not driving a ticking time bomb - you're driving the exact opposite. Nothing's going to happen - and if it does, it's covered. Keep the car and feel good about driving it.
Thanks that's actually really reassuring. Yes it's a 1 year warranty. It's just this stupid engine self-destructing on me has me traumatized.