GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI my way

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Hello.
I thought I'd post a "build thread" just because I've never had a thread before for any of my cars and maybe get a some guidance or opinions (criticism) along the way from fellow members. I'll try not to bore anyone to death with a long winded essay.

The car is a 2017 GTI 6MT 2 door no PP and no LP. Just a base model GTI in carbon steel metallic

I figured I'd drive it as a fun car to cruise around and do a few basic mods to make it more enjoyable. I have had MK2's for years and I never thought I'd enjoy a new VW without all the nostalgia (rickety feeling) but I was wrong. Let the midlife crisis begin, from 43 and beyond ........

The day I picked it up.

I purchased the car in 2017 not knowing much about the MK7 platform but I did a lot of reading and decided on a Neuspeed power module and Eibach pro kit springs because I didn't want to lose my warranty.

The very next day.

I will state that unlike many of you I didn't do any of the work on my car. I have limited time being self employed so having the time to work on the car myself isn't possible in a timely manner. All the work was done by a good friend of mine Phil at Almost Racing in Markham, Ontario. This guy leaves me with all the confidence in the world when I drop my car off or even discussing future modifications.

After a long and tedious process trying to decide which wheel I wanted I bought a set of VMR V710's in flat black 18 x 8.5 et45 and wrapped them in Falken Azenis FK510 tires, not a bad low budget tire in my opinion. I was happy with the car.

So I drove it for the summer last year and enjoyed it ...... until my clutch started to slip at 20,000km (12,000mi) which really pissed me off. I wasn't nice to it but I didn't beat on it either so I went to the dealer and asked about warranty. They basically told me to go f--k my hat so I left. I parked the car in October and it sat until I figured out what I wanted to do.

In February of this year I figured out what to do with my car ...... build it. I needed a clutch and after having read reviews for weeks on end on just about everthing I was ready to go shopping but first the dyno. For a couple of bucks let's see what the car is making stock and if the Neuspeed power module actually does anything. The results were interesting and what was left of the clutch was now completely gone. Not bad .....

So now to the shopping. I ordered:

BFI stage 3 clutch kit
Wavetrac differential
CTS turbo downpipe w/cat
AWE track exhaust w/ black
CTS turbo dog bone insert
Injen evolution intake
ARP bolt kit
CTS turbo inlet pipe
CTS turbo intercooler
Leyo turbomuffler delete
Forge blow off valve
Dieselgeek short shifter
IS38 turbo
Burger motor sports JB4 w/bluetooth
BMS water/meth kit
BMS catch can
Prosport boost gauge
Neuspeed boost tap
ECS vent gauge pod
OEM skid plate with brakets/fasteners
KW Variant 1 coilovers
APR IS38 tune with pops and bangs

I may have missed a few items but that was the major stuff. My reasoning was it could all be done at once while the car is up on the hoist, but then it snowballed into a few more items. The clutch delay valve got removed as did the soundaktor.

It kinda looked like this.

I got the car back at the end of April and holy shit what a difference, it's like a whole new car. I didn't look any different but I can honestly say I have never driven anything this fast. It just keeps pulling. I thought at some point in my life I'd grow up but that can wait for another day.

So after being a complete tool for 2 months I had a few issues I really needed to address:

1. Traction
2. Engine mounts.
3. Optics
4. Brakes

Being a front wheel drive car traction is always an issue. So I got the biggest tire that I figured would fit under my fender, the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R in a 245/40/18 ..... it didn't fit. So shopping it was .....

VWR camber plates
Swift springs
ECS engine mount kit
JOM headlights
Acexxon rear reflector inserts

I didn't get to the brakes yet or the smaller suspension items but I'm happier with it. With the engine mounts it feels like a MK2.

With my wife's MK7.5 Golf TSI

All work was done by Phil at Almost Racing Inc. in Markham, Ontario, Canada. He's a great guy and without him I'd still be staring at a bone stock car.

I don't really know what else to post about it other than it's still a work in progress and I think my warranty is gone. There are numerous items I'd like to address and possibly a proper tune just to get the most out of what I have. I'll keep adding to this because I missed a pile of stuff and I'm still missing a new dyno sheet.

Comments? Input? Questions?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Damn you did a lot in a short time span. I dont have that much money to spare in just those couple months lol.

Nicely done! And w/ clutch upgrade

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
All work was done by Phil at Almost Racing Inc. in Markham, Ontario, Canada. He's a great guy and without him I'd still be staring at a bone stock car.

oh, man, GTI-Jay is going to come limping in here to comment, no doubt...

Anyway: now that you've done it, have you at all reflected on "maybe I should have just bought an Audi RS3 instead" or something like that?

You have money AND time into this bad boy, not to mention no more factory warranty to speak of, right? Is this setup worth all of that compared to just doing something else that's built from the beginning to do everything?

but then it snowballed into a few more items

I had to grin. It always does. ALWAYS.

Just a few more. While it's on the rack and all...

Brinker

Ready to race!
Good grief that escalated rather quickly,lol. When I started to read your intro it reminded me of, well, me..lol. Basically the same car as mine, carbon steel metallic, 3 door, no lp, no pp but mine is a 2015 sport dsg..we both live in the great white north, similar age and both don’t have time to do mods to our car. I planned on doing some basic mods which I did but that’s where our similarities ended..you built quite a car now,lol. Welcome to the world of modding, once you start you can stop...good luck in the future and beautiful car btw

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Anyway: now that you've done it, have you at all reflected on "maybe I should have just bought an Audi RS3 instead" or something like that?

You have money AND time into this bad boy, not to mention no more factory warranty to speak of, right? Is this setup worth all of that compared to just doing something else that's built from the beginning to do everything?

The warranty is long gone. I just rolled 30,000 km (18,750 miles) yesterday. No issues yet. It's not my daily and after changing that much I didn't expect to have warranty.

Nothing excited me like the 2 door GTI did. AWD would be nice but I'm not a 4 door fan and the RS3 does nothing for me. I think at this point I'd be more interested in swapping Golf R running gear into this car than anything else. That being said I definitely see your point though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Good god...

This reminds me of another build thread here. Went from bone stock to insane upgrades in a short period.

Anyway, maybe black out the red stripe on the front grille to complete the look? Those headlights look pretty cool actually

I really like the stripe so I might just darken the badges.

adam1991

Banned
The warranty is long gone. I just rolled 30,000 km (18,750 miles) yesterday. No issues yet. It's not my daily and after changing that much I didn't expect to have warranty.

Nothing excited me like the 2 door GTI did. AWD would be nice but I'm not a 4 door fan and the RS3 does nothing for me. I think at this point I'd be more interested in swapping Golf R running gear into this car than anything else. That being said I definitely see your point though.

I'm just curious, because everyone here is always looking for "what's next". And it's slim pickings out there.

If only VW would GTI the wagon...

Brinker

Ready to race!

You just rolled 30000km and it’s not your daily, wow...you must do some epic weekend drives...I just have 34000km on my 2015 and it’s my dd,lol

2 Doors is the way to go!! :D

Amen!

Square1

Go Kart Champion
You just rolled 30000km and it’s not your daily, wow...you must do some epic weekend drives...I just have 34000km on my 2015 and it’s my dd,lol

I shouldn't say I don't daily it as I drive it as much as I can when it's nice out and it will be parked from October until May. I put another 20 to 30 thousand on my truck every year. I really enjoy driving my GTI though.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Great post, what have you done for brakes?
Absolutely nothing. I got upgraded pads and rotors and that's it. It doesn't stop from excessive speeds. I think the TTRS setup on all 4 is what I'm leaning towards.