GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI my way

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Just something to consider. If you plan on running Ethanol and an upgraded LPFP you might want to grab a PM4 fuel controller for a bit more headroom.

How is the braking with the 4 pistons on the back? Does it lock up the rears often on hard braking or is it nicely balanced? Great looking built. Can’t wait to see how the engine build goes.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Just something to consider. If you plan on running Ethanol and an upgraded LPFP you might want to grab a PM4 fuel controller for a bit more headroom.

How is the braking with the 4 pistons on the back? Does it lock up the rears often on hard braking or is it nicely balanced? Great looking built. Can’t wait to see how the engine build goes.

I've asked so many people about the PM4 and I get mixed reviews. I'll order one and if I don't really need it ........ I've spent more on less lol. I appreciate the input.

The brakes feel great. I have no issues at all although I thought I would have to upgrade the master. I did it for the curb side appeal over function. I am not a fan of the hydraulic ebrake though and I'd like to add a mini caliper to it.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I've asked so many people about the PM4 and I get mixed reviews. I'll order one and if I don't really need it ........ I've spent more on less lol. I appreciate the input.

The brakes feel great. I have no issues at all although I thought I would have to upgrade the master. I did it for the curb side appeal over function. I am not a fan of the hydraulic ebrake though and I'd like to add a mini caliper to it.
I've considered a hydraulic e brake for, uh, maneuvering.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
So the crank walk issue is because somebody thought it would be a good idea to give you half a bearing/bushing? I need to add a step into the cap and make a shim to keep the original from wearing at an accelerated rate and/or falling out?
That can't be it? Input? Did I miss the obvious?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So the crank walk issue is because somebody thought it would be a good idea to give you half a bearing/bushing? I need to add a step into the cap and make a shim to keep the original from wearing at an accelerated rate and/or falling out?
That can't be it? Input? Did I miss the obvious?
Did you see the pictures of the different ones?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Well it's been a while. My life changed a lot so I've been focusing on enjoying my car for a while instead of making it a constant project. My boy inherited my wife's 2018 Golf TSI so I've been helping him along modifying it and going for cruises and to the track once. It's been a little rough at times with this pandemic going on and a ridiculously long winter (this one wasn't bad). I am happy we have enough indoor space to work on the cars though. My step son has a 1990 Golf GL 5 door and I donated a bunch of parts to and we're currently finishing it up with a 2.0 engine swap, auto to manual, nitrous install, and lots more.

So an overview:
2017 GTI S base model
6 spd manual
53,000km (33,000mi)

Exterior Mods:
15% tint all around
50% tint on the windshield
Acexxon reflector inserts
Badgeskins overlays
Rear wiper delete
Front fender pull
JOM headlights

Interior mods:
ECS vent gauge pod
Prosport boost gauge
Badgeskins overlays
Soundstream RN5.2000
Skar Audio 8" sub with enclosure

Wheels/tire/suspension/brakes :
APR A01 18x8.5 et45
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R 245/40/18
Luften 6 piston 356mm front brakes
Luften 4 piston 356mm rear brakes
Stainless steel brake lines
KW coil overs with Swift springs
Racing Line camber plates (modified to fit)
Eibach front and rear sway bars
Super Pro front and rear end links
Racing Line stud kit
Tyrol Sport dead set kit

Transmission:
DKM MS clutch
Wavetrac differential
ARP bolt kit
Diesel geek short shifter
ECS clutch line
ECS valve
Spring removal
Delay valve

Exhaust:
CTS catted downpipe
AWE track exhaust

Engine:
IS38 turbo
APR 93 octane tune
BMS JB4 with bluetooth
BMS WMI kit
CTS discharge pipe
CTS FMIC
CTS turbo elbow
CTS intake pipe
Forge blow off valve
Leyo TMB
Neuspeed boost tap
Injen evolution intake
ECS engine mount kit (dog bone broke, stock holding up fine now)
USP fluidampr (sp?)
Iabed RMS
APR coil packs

I think that's pretty much the way the car sits right now. I have a collection of parts here and on order and I'm going to make sure the car gets finished before June. I picked up a 2017 Golf R engine with around 5000km (3500 for you non metric people lol) on it so it just came back from the machine shop and I'm just trying to figure out what color to paint the block and valve cover, I'm leaning towards slime green. I still want to be able to drive this car and enjoy it but I wanted a bit more out of it.

Waiting to be installed (before June):
Golf R block and head
JE 83mm forged pistons
TPC38 hybrid
Pagparts fuel line
Pagparts LPFP
USP catch can
CTS MPI
Eurodyne Maestro
AEM 3.5 sensor
Bosch 4 bar sensor
Sensor harness
IE Tuscan rods
ARP head studs
APR valve springs
ARP main bolts
AEM WMI kit

I haven't really had a goal at all with this car except for it to look the I wanted it to and to be fast-ish. I'm in my 40's and I basically am building the car I wanted when I was 20. I'm not much of a photographer but I'll try to keep this thread updated now and put some pics up while it's getting put together.
Thanks for reading.

View attachment 206255
Awesome write up, IICRC, another member here painted their block slime green and you can't really even see it at all. I mean the pictures they provided it was pretty much hidden but maybe in person there are spots shown. If its cheap then go for it, but doesn't seem like much value if you can't really see it.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Awesome write up, IICRC, another member here painted their block slime green and you can't really even see it at all. I mean the pictures they provided it was pretty much hidden but maybe in person there are spots shown. If its cheap then go for it, but doesn't seem like much value if you can't really see it.

I did read it somewhere but I don't remember seeing any finished pics. I considered the caterpillar look with the head being done as well but I'm not a fan. I think I may opt out of green and just redo it all in black.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I did read it somewhere but I don't remember seeing any finished pics. I considered the caterpillar look with the head being done as well but I'm not a fan. I think I may opt out of green and just redo it all in black.
Please hydrodip the block MK7 tartan 😆