GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI got dinged ;_; DIY PDR?

Derek88

Car(s)
MK 7.5 GTI 2020
Just purchased my MK 7.5 2020 GTI a few months ago, I live in a parking complex and my neighbor dinged my car. The driver side rear fender right on the bodyline. The few shops that I met with all said various things pricing from $60 - $175 fastest person said one hour slowest said two days. They are all pushing to drill a hole through the door jamb. I don't think this is necessary my car is brand new would prefer not to drill holes unless absolutely necessary. Do you think I could DIY this? I have no experience in removing dents. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 2020 Golf GTI Drive Side Rear Quarter Panel.jpg
    2020 Golf GTI Drive Side Rear Quarter Panel.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 165

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I had a smaller ding in the same place but on the passenger side. Becuase it is structural they did have to drill a hole like your guy is telling you. I was hesitant at first, but he banged it out in 15 mins, plugged the hole, and I haven’t thought about it since.

Derek88

Car(s)
MK 7.5 GTI 2020
I had a smaller ding in the same place but on the passenger side. Becuase it is structural they did have to drill a hole like your guy is telling you. I was hesitant at first, but he banged it out in 15 mins, plugged the hole, and I haven’t thought about it since.
Yeah I think after awhile i'll forget about it, it just sucks because I just got my car. Do you remember how much you paid?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Yeah I paid $180, but I also had them do another larger dent (like yours) on the front left fender too. So I think you’re in the right ballpark price wise. It took my guy less than an 45mins-1hr to do it and he did a FANTASTIC job. 10/10 recommend. Some of the other body shops I had quote it wanted like $900+ to pull the fender and respray everything and blend :rolleyes:

Here's a little before and after for you. Hope this helps!

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

Derek88

Car(s)
MK 7.5 GTI 2020
Yeah I paid $180, but I also had them do another larger dent (like yours) on the front left fender too. So I think you’re in the right ballpark price wise. It took my guy less than an 45mins-1hr to do it and he did a FANTASTIC job. 10/10 recommend. Some of the other body shops I had quote it wanted like $900+ to pull the fender and respray everything and blend :rolleyes:

View attachment 204835

View attachment 204836
Nice!!! can't even tell they did a really nice job.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's a ding? Looks like a dent to me. Why isn't the neighbor paying for it?

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI

View attachment 204835

View attachment 204836

Mine's a little worse than that, but I'm just about to pay for a fender and respray. Do you think this would be PDRable?
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/to-body-work-or-no.381920/#post-7585214

I was told it wouldn't be because of its location on the wheel well, but just wanted to make sure.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I don’t believe that’s repairable any way other than PDR. It was my understanding that the fender/blade is structural as in part of the frame of the vehicle and as a result of that it is not removable.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I have the Eastwood DIY PDR kit. Not that expensive and I've gotten similar sized dents out before. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but for the price I found it worth it to have around.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti

did you have that done near us in VA?? If so I’m gonna need the info please

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
did you have that done near us in VA?? If so I’m gonna need the info please

Sorry to disappoint but I had it done at Meticulous Paint-less Dent Removal in Rhode Island. If it were me I would go to either NOVA or Richmond to get the work done.