Golf Mk7

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
View attachment 229057

On my car on the highway at speeds of over 150 km / h the oil temperature reaches 114 -116 degrees Celsius. Even at 120 km / h the temperature is somewhere around 110 degrees Celsius. 1.4L TSI EA211 Oil Cooler Kit BAR-TEK it the first oil cooler kit on the market specifically for the 1.4 L TSI VW Golf mk7.
Is produced in Germany by BAR-TEK, a company with over 15 years of experience in motorsport. 90 percent of the components are made of the best quality aluminum. The kit was recommended to me by a friend who has the same type of engine as me. It works perfectly. Keep the oil temperature between 80 and 85 degrees Celsius. BAR-TEK also produces kits for Golf mk7 1.8 and 2.0 TSI.
1.8L & 2.0L TSI EA888 Gen.3 MQB Oil-Cooler-Kit BAR-TEK - https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/mk7oilcoolerkitmqb
80-85 degrees Celsius (176-185 degrees) is too low of temperature. Most of us don't even drive aggressively until the oil is up to that temperature.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
80-85 degrees Celsius (176-185 degrees) is too low of temperature. Most of us don't even drive aggressively until the oil is up to that temperature.
I was going to say that exact same thing. You need it to be around 100.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not too familiar and still researching, but apparently a thermostat controlled valve for heat exchanger is important for temps to come up quicker in the winter. Does this kit have that?

And if my terminology or wording is off, it's probably because I don't fully understand the mechanics of it, but hopefully you got the gist of it

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
View attachment 229151

Yes, it has a thermostat. It is set to trigger when the oil temperature exceeds 85 degrees Celsius.
TSI engines produced by VW heat up a lot, especially on the highway at speeds of 200 km / h - 220 km / h, the oil temperature can reach 120 -125 degrees Celsius. I use Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40.
On the internet most recommendations say that the ideal oil temperature should be between 100 and 114 degrees Celsius. But many automakers say the oil temperature should be below 100 degrees Celsius. So I called a friend who worked for several years as an engineer at VW. He told me that as long as the oil temperature does not fall below 85 degrees Celsius everything is fine. So the only option is to mount the oil cooler and see what the results are.

Well, if you drive at 200km/h all the time...
I drive at about 120, and in the super hot desert summers oil gets up to about 110C, but not higher unless I'm canyon carving.
So 100-114 sounds about right for non-extreme driving for a tuned car.
As a side note: my wife's Beetle never sees oil above 93C, no matter how hard i push it (unless I'm going uphill for miles on end).