GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My friends pissing all over our VWs.....

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Just a little peak at the daily hate I get from my friends...

The one moaning got a GTI on recommendation from not just me in that group and supposedly his "Starter" just went out... (but he doesn't have the most experience with cars, so I will update...)

Its a MK5 GTI Fahrenheit edition... with 150k miles, he put the last 50 on it himeself .... and got it like 3 years ago!

Honestly what else can he ask for... he did eat through the cam follower and kill his HPFP, hence his hate... AND I WARNED HIM LIKE EVERY OTHER MONTH ABOUT IT.

72dfa40a-78a5-4518-affd-b946e932543a.jpg

edit: Obviously they cant handle some slight German engineering lol, I am not recommending it again, cant handle it!

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
You aren't supposed to buy old used VWs. Those always suck.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Was the starter original!? 150k is awesome for a starter. He ignored known issues and is complaining.

Tell him to buy a Chrysler 🙄

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Literally apart from the usual Oil, DSG, plugs... air filter, etc...... he got tires on it and did pads and rotors... its a high mile GTI, its going to need some things... totally understandable...

The only thing apart form the starter and the HPFP was one of the tie rods needed to be replaced.... for 100-150k miles, i think it did great.

Yeah im just not gonna recommend anything lol

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
lol, anything worth enjoying will more than likely have some problems and qwerks. Need to pay to play as they say. Especially when modding ensues.

He wants a worry free car? Yeah, pick up a Corolla, Civic, Accord or Camry. Have fun in that.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
He is doing a swap a lease and getting a Ford Fusion (what he referred to as the "fedcar")

I'm not gonna say a word lol.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Well he got it almost 4 years ago, so it was a 10 year old car and back then just under 100k, so worth a bit more than that....

But it served him super well during those almost 50k miles he put on since, like I mentioned, barely anything actually "broke"

Somehow all my friends were concluding this confirms the VW stereotype lol, meanwhile I thought it did great...

lol, anything worth enjoying will more than likely have some problems and qwerks. Need to pay to play as they say. Especially when modding ensues.

He wants a worry free car? Yeah, pick up a Corolla, Civic, Accord or Camry. Have fun in that.

Yeah, and those arent too cheap either, I had to get a older 100-120k mile corolla last year mid pandemic and it was a bunch of money, like 6-7 grand... Now they are worth an obscene amount of money... any corolla, civic, etc.. good reliable appliance car....

You really do get what you pay for... want "worry free"? get ready to pay up... So even if you don't wanna play... you got to pay NOT to play lol

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Older Honda’s are lots of fun.

V6 Accord manual
EP3 Civic Si
5th or 6th Gen civic

Is he at least getting a Fusion Sport with the twin turbo V6!?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
“What a POS”...dude you bought a 14 year old $3,500 car, chill.

This is actually funny. It reminds me of my own buddy. He bought a 2002 base Golf manual with a150k miles on it for 1300 bucks off a kid back in like 2014. Car had all kinds of repairs it needed and he constantly complained about VWs. I was like, dude, you bought a relic for 1300 bucks and think it was going to be problem free? You out of your mind? Then he went on to buy a more "modern" 2009 Subaru WRX hatch off some kid for like 12-13k while he still owned the VW. That thing was in the shop more than the VW was. In fact, he ended up getting rid of the WRX within a year ownership while he kept the VW for 3 years. Looks like the 1300 beater out did the 13k WRX, lol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You know what it is. In my view, a VW, especially a GTI is an enthusiasts car, you need to be into cars to own one. My MK6R was an FSI motor, and I loved changing the cam follower (mind you, they upgraded the lobe so it did not require as much maintenance as it did on the MK5 GTI), because it gave me the opportunity to work on the car. If you stay on top of your VW, and enjoy tinkering and messing around, there is no better car to own.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Sucky friends.