GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My experience, experimenting with XDS settings and increased traction on the VAQ LSD

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Cycle the pump and reset VAQ. Pretty easy to set it to increased traction, but the rest I haven't been able to figure out.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Cycle the pump and reset VAQ. Pretty easy to set it to increased traction, but the rest I haven't been able to figure out.
Ooooh. Ok

Start the car. Drive around. You’ll want engine oil temp to be at least 170-190f. At this point everything will be warmed up. Then on the obd11 do the reset procedure. In my case I never hear the pump. In some cars you actually can hear it. After the procedure is done you can turn the car off.

sorry for my confusion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ooooh. Ok

Start the car. Drive around. You’ll want engine oil temp to be at least 170-190f. At this point everything will be warmed up. Then on the obd11 do the reset procedure. In my case I never hear the pump. In some cars you actually can hear it. After the procedure is done you can turn the car off.

sorry for my confusion

I get that, what specifically do I reset in OBD11. I've asked in multiple threads and can't get a simple walk through of the menus in OBD11 that I need to accomplish this.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I get that, what specifically do I reset in OBD11. I've asked in multiple threads and can't get a simple walk through of the menus in OBD11 that I need to accomplish this.

Select Control Unit 32 Lock Electronics
Select Adaptations
Then take Acoustic measure, wiring logic
It should be set to Standard but you can change it to increased Traction from the drop down list.

Save with Green Tick.

Then Select Basic Settings in the same module and run resetting of all adaption values.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I still haven’t had to run the vaq reset procedure. Just the time after I changed it to increase traction.

my friend actively tracks his mk7 and has to reset his every 2-4 track days.

but yeah I agree. Mechanical lsd’s just work quicker. The nature of the vaq needing math done, it makes it work a little slower. We can supplement with r compound tires and left foot braking. Plus suspension and bracing mods.

in fact, try some left foot braking. You will be surprised man. The gti handles like a go kart LOL
Agree go-kart on the road, but on the track it’s weaknesses show up pretty quickly.
Yep I already left foot brake and have a reasonable chassis setup. I’m tempted to put a wavetrac in to complement the VAQ. Going to wait until I fit coilovers first though as they should improve traction.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Agree go-kart on the road, but on the track it’s weaknesses show up pretty quickly.
Yep I already left foot brake and have a reasonable chassis setup. I’m tempted to put a wavetrac in to complement the VAQ. Going to wait until I fit coilovers first though as they should improve traction.
I haven’t tracked my gti. I will after the winter though. I’ve driven it spiritedly at my local canyon though. I can already tell, my 2018 wrx was just way more compliant in the turns.

how can you add an lsd that will compliment the vaq? I didn’t think both would fit together?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I haven’t tracked my gti. I will after the winter though. I’ve driven it spiritedly at my local canyon though. I can already tell, my 2018 wrx was just way more compliant in the turns.

how can you add an lsd that will compliment the vaq? I didn’t think both would fit together?

Yes you can replace the open LSD in the gearbox with a wavetrac. It should then do the majority of the work leaving the VAQ to still perform torque vectoring where required. Plenty of these swaps done in the UK now.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Wavetrac will definitely help on track for corner exit Acceleration.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Select Control Unit 32 Lock Electronics
Select Adaptations
Then take Acoustic measure, wiring logic
It should be set to Standard but you can change it to increased Traction from the drop down list.

Save with Green Tick.

Then Select Basic Settings in the same module and run resetting of all adaption values.

Gotcha, it was that second piece I was missing. Thanks.

I could have sworn I've heard you need to cycle the VAQ pump too, though.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes you can replace the open LSD in the gearbox with a wavetrac. It should then do the majority of the work leaving the VAQ to still perform torque vectoring where required. Plenty of these swaps done in the UK now.
That’s freaking cool

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Gotcha, it was that second piece I was missing. Thanks.

I could have sworn I've heard you need to cycle the VAQ pump too, though.
Dang. I dunno then. Sorry I can’t be much help. Try researching via YouTube? Lots of good how to videos there

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Does anyone know if VAQ basic settings can be done by the dealer? I do not have OBD11 and I am due for a diff service anyway. I am good with leaving VAQ / XDS with factory settings, I just want them returned to stock (without any adapted learning).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know if VAQ basic settings can be done by the dealer? I do not have OBD11 and I am due for a diff service anyway. I am good with leaving VAQ / XDS with factory settings, I just want them returned to stock (without any adapted learning).
They won't, even if they can. If they do the VAQ service, you'll be lucky if they correctly reset adaptions for it.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
They won't, even if they can. If they do the VAQ service, you'll be lucky if they correctly reset adaptions for it.
Agreed... R2, if you'll keep the car for a couple years, the price of ODB11 or VCDS is well worth it. I'm not familiar with OBD11, but VCDS exposes so much stuff, it's amazing.