GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My engine says to use 5-40, but

adolan21

Ready to race!
If both are available, is one considered "better" than the other?

The W in 0W40 & 5W40 means "winter." If you do frequent cold starts or live in an area that is cold the 0W will flow better. But the 5W isn't very far off. They are both 40 weight oils and will perform similarly at operating temperatures. This is a very basic and general explanation as oils have many other factors that determine how well they flow. So to answer your questions it really doesn't matter that much. I'd pick whatever is cheaper as long as it is on the VW 502 approved oil list you really can't go wrong.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Might as well use a 0-40, extra cold dtart protection without giving up any operating temp protection.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
The W in 0W40 & 5W40 means "winter." If you do frequent cold starts or live in an area that is cold the 0W will flow better. But the 5W isn't very far off. They are both 40 weight oils and will perform similarly at operating temperatures. This is a very basic and general explanation as oils have many other factors that determine how well they flow. So to answer your questions it really doesn't matter that much. I'd pick whatever is cheaper as long as it is on the VW 502 approved oil list you really can't go wrong.

Thanks a lot! I live in the northeast, so at the very least I should go 0-40 during the winter months.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
This is the right approach IMO. I still stress myself out too much sometimes on which is the "best" type of oil...

http://BobIsTheOilGuy.com

^ This place has a vast amount of oilnerds and discussion
Very good info. But there is A LOT of info to sift through.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Maryland/Delaware weather shouldn't get that cold except for maybe a few days per year when t hits single digits where a 0W40 would do you any benefit. I thought the same thing, but when investigating Mobil1 0W40 vs. a quality 5W40, there were too many concerns with oil being too thin, and some studies show that the 0W40 oil prematurely shears to an oil too thin for maximum protection within 5000 miles of use. So I stick with a quality 5W40. After all, we don't line in northern Canada or Fargo, ND where it can be -20 on a reguar basis. But it's your car, your choice. Either is acceptable.

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
Maryland/Delaware weather shouldn't get that cold except for maybe a few days per year when t hits single digits where a 0W40 would do you any benefit. I thought the same thing, but when investigating Mobil1 0W40 vs. a quality 5W40, there were too many concerns with oil being too thin, and some studies show that the 0W40 oil prematurely shears to an oil too thin for maximum protection within 5000 miles of use. So I stick with a quality 5W40. After all, we don't line in northern Canada or Fargo, ND where it can be -20 on a reguar basis. But it's your car, your choice. Either is acceptable.

Thanks a lot. Great info. You've totally convinced me that I am fine with 5w-40.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Thanks a lot. Great info. You've totally convinced me that I am fine with 5w-40.

Absolutely. I happened to have a jug of 0w-40 that I am going to reserve for the next winter oil change I do. Although, I might just pickup a ton of OE 5w-40 Castrol when it goes on sale next week @ Advanced Auto Parts.

adolan21

Ready to race!

VW would not approve both of these viscosities if they thought the 0w40 was too thin. As I said before your choices are mainly Mobil 1 0W40 a very good oil and Castrol Syntec 5W40 also a very good oil, pick whichever is cheapest.

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
To generalize and say 0w40 gets too thin in comparison to 5W40 is ludicrous. They are both 40 weight oils and are the same at operating temperatures. Now if you are talking about a SPECIFIC 0W40 and a SPECIFIC 5W40 then yeah I would agree as there are some oils that are more durable than others. But otherwise they are the same other than at cold start temperatures. As I said before your choices are mainly Mobil 1 0W40 a very good oil and Castrol Syntec 5W40 also a very good oil, pick whichever is cheapest.

I've only had my car for one change and I used Castrol Edge 5w40. 9 bucks a quart!