GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Deathtrap GTI build

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
@etmanning1 how much do you miss Wawa already now that you’re in Phoenix? I’ve worked there for 10 years, and I’m only 27

Haha, I used to get the Wawa buffalo chicken wraps on my way home from the gym all the time. Quicktrip just doesn't hit the same, that's for sure.

PXL_20210402_190754232.jpg

My new axle arrived and I threw it in the car yesterday afternoon.

PXL_20210402_190800236.jpg
PXL_20210402_190738598.jpg

It was extremely nerve-wracking finally taking the car off the stands, but thankfully everything seemed to be working properly on my short initial test drive!!

Steering response feels immediately different due to the differential, and I can't wait to get the alignment dialed in so I can start to push the new setup. I'll post some driving shots/updates later in the week hopefully.

You can also see the diff module "mounting" in the above photo. For now, I have it just zip-tied to the subframe, and thankfully there are no codes lighting up on the dash!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You do realise that the subfame already has the three nut threads for either the VAG skid tray or the thin full aero tray.....which would stop alot of dirt getting up in there...

Just be careful ordering one with front ducts..or the thin GTE one which has loads of ducts..if worried about heat build up...

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Well, things can't ever go smoothly, eh?

PXL_20210405_224556236 (1).jpg

As you can see above, there seems to be an issue with the new trans. At this point I have about 50 miles on the new setup, and it drives incredibly!

The outer seal between the transmission casing and the right hand axle cup ripped clean in half, and is now puking transmission fluid all over the nice new subframe and everything else under the car.

I replaced the seal on Monday with factory part #02Q-409-189-A . All seemed good on the initial test drive, but this seal too appears to have begun leaking.

Is there a different part number for the outer seal on a non-pp transmission? I can't imagine that VW would use a different size, but what do I know?

The leak was small enough with the replacement seal that I was able to limp the car to alignment, and it should be finished up this afternoon.

I'm finally getting close to having this thing sorted, just have to fix this seal and tie up a few loose ends!

PXL_20210405_224416933 (1).jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
ETKA parts...I know its just a 2016 year hatch diagram..but the VAQ unit is for the PNP code manual MQ350 gearbox...looking at these..there is soem differences

Item 3... here there are different ones depending on with or without VAQ unit (you need 02M-301-189-G for non VAQ)

gear housing; for 6 speed manual gearbox - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2016 year] (7zap.com)
Appreciate it! I'll try and source that part # and give it a shot. Of course I used brand new axle bolts last time, getting tired of buying new ones haha.

You do realise that the subfame already has the three nut threads for either the VAG skid tray or the thin full aero tray.....which would stop alot of dirt getting up in there...

Just be careful ordering one with front ducts..or the thin GTE one which has loads of ducts..if worried about heat build up...

Indeed. I have hopes of one day doing an ABS or similar underbody tray to work with full front/rear aero. Still lots of time left in the car before that, though. I'll look into these for now.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Quick update-

Part # 02M-301-189-G did the trick to seal the transmission! The inner diameter of the opening is maybe 1mm larger, which is just enough to fit around the axle properly.

I flushed the transmission again after verifying that the seal was solid, and now have about 300 miles on the car since the build. I'm still tweaking damper settings, and moved the front sway bar to the softer position.

The car feels great with the new setup, and actually seems to run more smoothly than before. The transmission whine is gone, and for whatever reason clutch chatter was also reduced. Initial impressions in the canyon are that the car has WAY more grip, especially the front end. There were quite a few corners which I usually downshift to second that I was able to easily take in third with the suspension changes! The transmission shifts very smoothly, and the steel forks/feet combo make quick shifts during pulls lightning fast.

Not everything is perfect yet, but I'm working to dial it in every day. More OBD11 coding is on the to-do list, as well as another alignment appointment to make a few adjustments after having driven the car. The non-PP axle is thicker than before, so it had been rattling against the sway bar occasionally over bumps. I'll need to adjust my endlinks soon to avoid this. Hoping to hit the track soon!

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
The transmission has now been in for ~4,000 miles, and everything has been running very well.

I removed the optima lightweight battery in favor of an OEM sized unit, which has been so much more reliable and worth the added weight.

Pic of my super scientific measuring method. I had to replace the negative terminal because it had become fused to the battery. Much better now.

PXL_20210508_014518247.jpg

I also had a fun night at the local test and tune. Unfortunately, a combination of street tires and my bad driving led me to another round of 13.XX passes, but no broken transmissions this time, hooray!

PXL_20210509_030847983 (1).jpg
PXL_20210606_014338198.jpg

From the racetrack to singletrack- I also took the GTI on a short camping trip, and it was awesome! What a practical racecar ;).

PXL_20210514_234029377_2.jpg

Unfortunately, my recently installed dogbone mount suffered a failure after ~1800 miles. I'll chalk this one up to launches on the drag strip and weakening from the transmission fluid leakage.

Verkline was awesome and sent a replacement set out. I haven't installed them yet, as it requires removal of the subframe again. Fun times!

PXL_20210615_205437919.jpg

At least I was able to install a DBV2 inlet pipe, which flows noticeably more than the APR piece that was previously fitted. Looks nice in the engine bay as well!

Snapchat-668163424_2.jpg

As temperatures in AZ rise north of 110 degrees I dont plan on doing much street driving, but will continue working on small projects around the car!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
View attachment 216975

Unfortunately, my recently installed dogbone mount suffered a failure after ~1800 miles. I'll chalk this one up to launches on the drag strip and weakening from the transmission fluid leakage.

Verkline was awesome and sent a replacement set out. I haven't installed them yet, as it requires removal of the subframe again. Fun times!
That's no good. Thought a big upside of their subframe is not needing to drop it as much. But makes sense for ridigity? Hope it's just a fluke

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are you staying in AZ long since you havent pulled the NJ plates yet? It is tough to give up.
Plates in Arizona are expensive. They go by the value of the car. Just for an example my 18 SE plates the first year were $550. It drops every year thereafter but not by that much. So a lot of people who move to AZ don't get plates until they have to.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Plates in Arizona are expensive. They go by the value of the car. Just for an example my 18 SE plates the first year were $550. It drops every year thereafter but not by that much. So a lot of people who move to AZ don't get plates until they have to.
Wow. Is there a difference in your registration fee or insurance to offset the cost?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wow. Is there a difference in your registration fee or insurance to offset the cost?
Nope. It's been that way since I moved to AZ from Ohio in 1984. I don't know what Ohio charges now but it was $35 per year for any car regardless of the original purchase cost of the car. It was a shock to find out how AZ does it.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Nope. It's been that way since I moved to AZ from Ohio in 1984. I don't know what Ohio charges now but it was $35 per year for any car regardless of the original purchase cost of the car. It was a shock to find out how AZ does it.
Wow. Sometimes I feel like NJ is nuts, but I feel like a lot of their costs are pretty straight forward. But they a lot of costs.