GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Deathtrap GTI build

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice build!!! And much respect for anyone even opening a transmission, to say nothing of doing any work in there. I would love a Wavetrac but CA labor rates are too high and I'm too chicken to DIY. Any plans for (what I assume will be) the complaining from the car about the lack of VAQ once you put the transmission back in?

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Nice build!!! And much respect for anyone even opening a transmission, to say nothing of doing any work in there. I would love a Wavetrac but CA labor rates are too high and I'm too chicken to DIY. Any plans for (what I assume will be) the complaining from the car about the lack of VAQ once you put the transmission back in?
I did some initial testing with disconnecting the VAQ unit before starting the build. If you remove the control module from the diff and leave it plugged in, the car throws no codes! I plan on working to code ESC/TC/XDS fully off and to let the wavetrac do it's magic for traction.

Last edited:

Las Vegas R

Car(s)
MK7. Golf R
I did some initial testing with disconnecting the VAQ unit before starting the build. If you remove the control module from the diff and leave it plugged in, the car throws no codes! I plan on working to code ESC/TC/XDS fully off and to let the wavetrac do it's magic for traction.
Please let me know if you find a way to fully disable ESC/TC/XDS

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I have a bunch of updates that I need to add to this thread. I've recently swapped intakes and batteries, and have been working on a transmission build with a Wavetrac. Everything should be installed close to the end of March here, and I will do a full build update when it's all sorted.

Until then, enjoy this photo of my new front suspension setup featuring a Verkline subframe and lower control arms.

PXL_20210225_224716642.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
F***in sweet...👏👏👏 I saw that tubular subframe and for some brief moments tried to convince myself I needed it for my commuter Golf TDI, haha.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Very nice build! Let us know what you think about the verkline subframe. Will you be replacing your rear subframe as well?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Until then, enjoy this photo of my new front suspension setup featuring a Verkline subframe and lower control arms.
Is that a deadset kit? Verkline claims those aren't necessary.
And which rear camber arms are those? Doesn't look like verkline, any reason you didn't stick with them for the rear?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Those look like godspeed rear arms. I have them too and there's nowhere to attach the abs line to so beware of that

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Very nice build! Let us know what you think about the verkline subframe. Will you be replacing your rear subframe as well?
Thanks, I'll make sure to update. Just the front for now ;)
Is that a deadset kit? Verkline claims those aren't necessary.
And which rear camber arms are those? Doesn't look like verkline, any reason you didn't stick with them for the rear?
Yep, I wasn't aware that the subframe used all different hardware. Works either way lol.
Those look like godspeed rear arms. I have them too and there's nowhere to attach the abs line to so beware of that
Thank you!

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I Apologize for the lack of updates recently, but the car and I were completing a cross-country move. This was my first time towing long distance, but everything went smoothly and the GTI arrived in Phoenix intact, if a bit dirty.

Snapchat-1220297829~2.jpg

I was hoping to get the transmission & subframe in before the move, but was still waiting on parts and the timing just didn't line up. They were wrapped up and travelled safely.

After settling in, I got back to work on the car and was able to get the new transmission mounted and all set up. Unfortunately, the axle that I had purchased was identical to the existing PP unit, and I will need to find the correct size ASAP.

Snapchat-687126544.jpg

I was also able to get everything in place on the subframe, but it will have to wait to go in until this axle issue is solved.

PXL_20210328_061146052 (1).jpg

I'll try to update this post and add a few additional photos soon. Until then- back to searching for parts!

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I was able to get an axle ordered, and it should arrive tomorrow afternoon!

PXL_20210331_231724368.jpg

The subframe install was fairly straightforward, and it's all set in place except for the passenger side to accommodate the axle.

PXL_20210331_231734395.jpg
PXL_20210331_231811884.jpg

Scheduling an alignment is proving difficult, as I don't know many shops in the new area. I'm hoping to get it on a rack early next week before doing any significant driving.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I also deleted the A/C system while the car was apart. I used it twice over the entire summer and haven't missed it once. I understand this choice isn't for everyone, but it works great for me!

The Clubsport version of the Mk7 (which we got in UK & Europe) had an A/C delete option.....as per the "ring" car...