GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Deathtrap GTI build

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
When we say plate costs we are just talking annual registration?

I’ve only lived in Vegas but it’s always just been that the plate comes with the first year registration and annually we pay registration/sticker and it’s like Jim said… based on the cars value. My car plus the annual custom plate cost was like 540 this year.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

I’ve only lived in Vegas but it’s always just been that the plate comes with the first year registration and annually we pay registration/sticker and it’s like Jim said… based on the cars value. My car plus the annual custom plate cost was like 540 this year.
Same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Annual registration.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
In NJ you pay for the physical plate, I don’t recall the number $50-$100 when they are first issued. You pay sales tax once when the car is titled to you. That’s based on what you paid for the car. The long running scam was on private sales. If the seller was cool you could have them sign a letter for a much lower amount than you actually paid. So people were getting gifted cars or paying a dollar. Well, NJ caught on and started to charge you market value if they felt the number was too low.

Then you pay a yearly registration fee. So my R is $47 or something like that. It’s one of the cheaper rates. My Civic was $50 something. My motorcycle was $65. As the vehicle grows so does reg fees.

The motorcycle is an anomaly since a governor said that bikes were due for a raise and jacked it from $13/year to $65. The real kick in the balls is they heavier the vehicle the higher the rate. The reason being they heavier vehicles tend to cause more damage to the roads so they pay more.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Texas

6.25 sales tax on cars and registration is about $65/year in most counties.

Guess we're lucky

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Sounds like Kansas. I pay $200 a year for new sticker on my plate. It was probably $400 or so the first year. Almost 9% sales tax for it too. :rolleyes:
LOL. Try Seattle. Between my wife and I we have 4 cars. 19 GTI/WRX $500ish each, 91 BMW 318is $200, 02 Tundra $300. Luckily the BMW turns 30 years old in September so its going to get a collector car plate so I wont have to pay for tabs ever.
Also our liquor is taxed 20% on top of the 10% sales tax. A half gallon of Jameson ends up being $80 out the door.

OP - I am very impressed with how quickly you've progressed with this car.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Fresh picture from this morning. You might be able to see what I'm working on next 👀

PXL_20210624_141554365.jpg

Are you staying in AZ long since you havent pulled the NJ plates yet? It is tough to give up.
Yes, I'll be here for a while but really have just been avoiding transferring my license/registration over. I'll have to get it done soon as my license is expiring this month!

Arizona has many more plate design options- I should be able to find something that looks pretty good.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Fresh picture from this morning. You might be able to see what I'm working on next 👀View attachment 217608

Yes, I'll be here for a while but really have just been avoiding transferring my license/registration over. I'll have to get it done soon as my license is expiring this month!

Arizona has many more plate design optiosn- I should be able to find something that looks pretty good!
Arizona Cardinals plate would look good.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Corbeau's look new? How's the feel? Hoping to get down to a race shop soon to try and cram my torso into them.

Hard to give up my MI plates (not cheap but no inspections here). Lived in SF for half a year, just put my car in a garage and never bothered with an ID or plates/smog, moved back and it was like I never left as far as SOS was concerned.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Corbeau's look new? How's the feel? Hoping to get down to a race shop soon to try and cram my torso into them.
Correct- I had ordered them months ago and they finally showed up on my doorstep. Install is super easy. Model is corbeau sportline evolution.

The seats feel roomier and more comfortable than stock. I am on the smaller side (5'8"), so YMMV. I opted for the adjustable back model, which allows me to have a relaxed, comfortable position for cruising, and a more upright "in place" position when driving through twisties.

Snapchat-1444122578.jpg
PXL_20210625_183128391.jpg

Here are some pics of the car taken on a small canyon rip today. What an absolute blast!

Last edited: