GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My city has terrible roads: Ideal Wheel/tire setup?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have a 2018 Golf R in a large city with terrible roads.

Debating whether to keep the stock 19" Englishtown wheel/tire set up or downsize a flow formed 18" lightweight wheel with a little more sidewall. My concern is cracking these lightweight wheels. Winter is not kind to the roads around here. Seeing folks post pics of bent or cracked lightweight wheels is making me wonder if putting up with the harsher ride and weight of the stock wheels might be best for longevity.

Looking at either Superspeed RF03RR or APEX SM-10 in 18x8.5 size.

EDIT: Downsizing to 17” wheels is not an option.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you have bad roads I'd honestly suggest sticking to a 17" if you can fit it over your brakes. I had a 2012 R with 18" and ended up replacing 4 of them due to bends thanks to potholes and crap roads.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
As the above stated, 17s are going to be the best option. The difference from 18 to 19 isnt that dramatic, but 17s are gonna be perfect.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Sounds like you're not looking for the ideal wheel/tire setup for terrible roads, then.
If you want 18s for looks, then get 18s. If you're worried about lightweight flow-formed durability, get forged wheels.
If you want cheaper tires and a more comfortable ride while still maintaining high performance, get 17s with performance tires.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree with getting 17's. I've yet to see a picture of a car in here that had 17's and see someone comment that they look chonky.

Lefty718

Car(s)
997 4s,gtimk7
I also agree.
As the above stated, 17s are going to be the best option. The difference from 18 to 19 isnt that dramatic, but 17s are gonna be perfect.
also agree roads in nyc destroy these cars

Attachments

• 27DB6B04-FFC5-4485-B256-F46F7AF7F58F.jpeg
    27DB6B04-FFC5-4485-B256-F46F7AF7F58F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
EDED7933-851E-49EE-BC31-3656A9252DDA.jpeg

17” wheels are ideal. Sidewall is a bit taller and makes the ride a bit less jittery/ soaks up road imperfections. These Sparco Assetto Gara clear the PP brakes and have been great- and virtually disposable in terms of price to replace if damaged.

94293D83-F28E-441A-9739-A2FA000E5861.jpeg

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sounds like you're not looking for the ideal wheel/tire setup for terrible roads, then.
If you want 18s for looks, then get 18s. If you're worried about lightweight flow-formed durability, get forged wheels.
If you want cheaper tires and a more comfortable ride while still maintaining high performance, get 17s with performance tires.
I park my car on the street in a large city, so forged wheels are way too expensive of an option. 17” wheels are also not an option.

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks, b
View attachment 225849

17” wheels are ideal. Sidewall is a bit taller and makes the ride a bit less jittery/ soaks up road imperfections. These Sparco Assetto Gara clear the PP brakes and have been great- and virtually disposable in terms of price to replace if damaged.

View attachment 225851
Yes, I realize 17s the the most ideal size, but that’s not what I’m asking for.

I have a set of 17” wheels with Michelin X-Ice and would like to just have one year-rounds set of wheels and tires instead of two seasonal sets.

Compromises will need to be made here and 17” is not one of them.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Yes, I realize 17s the the most ideal size, but that’s not what I’m asking for.
Thread title: My city has terrible roads: Ideal Wheel/tire setup?

245/40/18 gets you an extra ~3/4" of sidewall, should help preserve 18s from the unavoidable potholes as long as you do your job on the avoidable ones. Apex is confident enough in the strength of their wheels to offer a reduced price replacement program, including track abuse.

If you really like the look of your current 19s, 245/35/19 gets you an extra ~1/4" of sidewall and saves the cost of buying new wheels.

Seen plenty of threads with people going smaller after bending factory 19s, not so many with people going back to factory 19s to avoid bends.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Thread title: My city has terrible roads: Ideal Wheel/tire setup?

245/40/18 gets you an extra ~3/4" of sidewall, should help preserve 18s from the unavoidable potholes as long as you do your job on the avoidable ones. Apex is confident enough in the strength of their wheels to offer a reduced price replacement program, including track abuse.

If you really like the look of your current 19s, 245/35/19 gets you an extra ~1/4" of sidewall and saves the cost of buying new wheels.

Seen plenty of threads with people going smaller after bending factory 19s, not so many with people going back to factory 19s to avoid bends.
Any rubbing with 245s on stock suspension/rims? I was thinking of going up from the stock 225s next time I get tires and was considering 235s, wondering is 245s would work as well.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Not sure I can wait until the next shipment of Apex 18x8.5 wheels arrive since the car needs tires now. Would rather not install the winter set since I am going to sell them soon.

Guessing a 245/35/19 tire would need the fender screw mod? This size tire is considerably more expensive than a 235/35/19.