GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car pictures suck - help me

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Hello!

I got into photography about a year and a half ago with the intention of shooting cars. Well, I took a few of my car over the months and have never been happy. You may have seen in another thread that I have a ton of camera gear - and I do, but I didn't always have it... i've been building it up and for a while I just had the basics. I typically HATE posting pictures that i'm not proud of, but I think this will help show my progress, and whether i'm progressing well - and it's fun to laugh at crappy pictures :)

So, without further stalling for time, let's get started:

One of the first pics I took of my car - hate the processing, hate the composition, hate the pic in general. What miracle would have had to happen to make this not suck so hard?

heavy reflections on the car from the clouds... cool? maybe should have been shot lower - sun too harsh

photoshopped the motion blur (I can get lens blur just fine, TYVM, without photoshop) because I wanted it to look like I used a rig to take this while moving... fail. Oh well

The first one, to me, that looked like something worthwhile. What say you?

super contrasty BW conversion.. meh.

Random Passat in Minneapolis. I like this better than any other of my car pics for some reason

quick snapshot of the loaner I had while I was getting my roof PDR'd. woot

Monstrocity I saw in a trailer park. yep, makes sense

Car parked on the side of the road in Stillwater and I thought it looked neat so I took a pic. I Like the look and the processing, but not sure about the actual "picture"

Sky looked neat, picture didn't do it justice. What else is new?

My snow traveler - it was actually this "white out"

yep

Wanted to see how sharp my new 135L was wide open and see how cars look when shot tele - I like it.

SO, weeding out the obvious snapshots, what do you think? Have I progressed at all? I know I still need a lot of work and am NOT even "good" in my own mind at car photos, but I like to hear what you have to say.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
some tips:

work on composition: rule of threes, don't center the subject, angles
light on post-processing
you want to keep some medium tones, too much contrast is bad
NEVER shoot a black car in the middle of a sunny day, sunset is best for black
buy a 50mm 1.4f lens, easy lens to make the pictures look better.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
some tips:

work on composition: rule of threes, don't center the subject, angles
light on post-processing
you want to keep some medium tones, too much contrast is bad
NEVER shoot a black car in the middle of a sunny day, sunset is best for black
buy a 50mm 1.4f lens, easy lens to make the pictures look better.

Fully understand rule of 1/3s - check. Sometimes I get "I forget" when taking pics and just make dumb mistakes
processing... workin' on it
I love contrast! I'll have to work on this
Gotta work on location/TOD - very true
I have a 50 f/1.4..... a lens doesn't magically make a pic look better - I think Carter N would agree :lol:

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Fully understand rule of 1/3s - check. Sometimes I get "I forget" when taking pics and just make dumb mistakes
processing... workin' on it
I love contrast! I'll have to work on this
Gotta work on location/TOD - very true
I have a 50 f/1.4..... a lens doesn't magically make a pic look better - I think Carter N would agree :lol:

Another tip for composition is to take a lot of pictures from different angles and decide which i composed best once you are home on the computer. I always take 100+ photos per shoot and usually only happy with 5.
Contrast is good, just not TOO much.
The lens doesn't magically make a picture better, but some lenses are easier to work with and to give that good look to a picture.

I am only an ammeter photographer, but I have friends who are very good.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Sorry man, but anything that gets me a keeper rate of 5% is not a tip IMO :)

I think I just have a boring ass car and boring ass places and boring ass snow. Hopefully i'll be able to come up with something next season. Any tips, even if I shoot them down, are appreciated :)

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI

I think I just have a boring ass car and boring ass places and boring ass snow. Hopefully i'll be able to come up with something next season. Any tips, even if I shoot them down, are appreciated :)

:rolleyes: alright, well it seems like your "keeper" rate might be lower than that, sorry

motorhoney

Ready to race!
:rolleyes: alright, well it seems like your "keeper" rate might be lower than that, sorry

not necessarily - I didn't actually plan a "session" out of any of these photos - just driving a long, stopped, took a few and checked them out on the computer. maybe 10 minutes each time. I've never found a cool enough location to make me want to actually spend some quality time trying - hope to in a few months though.

njfast07

Go Kart Champion

Have you ever taken an actual course in photography...? I'm taking one now and for each assignment, we are to take 100 photos. Of the 100, we select the best single one. It takes a lot of time and effort to get the right shot.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Have you ever taken an actual course in photography...? I'm taking one now and for each assignment, we are to take 100 photos. Of the 100, we select the best single one. It takes a lot of time and effort to get the right shot.

I have not. However, the people that I know that are in school for photography produce photos, typically, that are worse than mine.

I tend to lean towards the old film "frame of mind" where each shot "costs" so it's best to think each one through before taking it - I wish my photos could better support this theory, but the first 8 or so were taken when I had NO experience whatsoever.

I'll try doin' more and see what happens - couldn't hurt :)

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else

This one would've been better without the pole sticking out of the back of the car. Should reposition yourself so that doesn't happen.

Great sky. You could've probably moved the car forward closer into the frame of the picture.

Anyways, just saw the gear you have. You've got more than enough gear. Time to stop buying gear, and start shooting more. Let me know if you want to get rid of your 5D2 :biggrin: