GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brand new GTI sounds horrible on cold starts.

Jarvisb098

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI DSG
Hello everyone,

I bought a 2020 GTI about a month ago and have noticed a very loud rattle on cold starts that goes away after about 15 seconds or so. Mind you I come from a R56 Mini Cooper S so I know injectors make noise but this sounds like something metallic slapping something plastic.

I can't narrow it down but its harder to hear when I open my hood. Going to the dealership with this but was curious if it's normal. (Wife's Tiguan isn't nearly as awful sounding on startup)

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
My car makes that noise at startup as well, and it too goes away pretty quickly. Yours sounds louder but I attribute that to being in an enclosed garage. I just assumed it was an exhaust rattle or something.

I have a 2019. If you're going to the dealer let me know what they say haha

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
This has been asked and said over and over again. It's completely normal until it warms up. Nothing wrong with it. You'll take it to the dealer, they will tell you its normal. You can ask to check another car, and its gonna sound the same.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Reggie is correct.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Somewhat on topic as this helps confirm what i've read about the similar noise I have, how long is it normal to see higher RPMs on a cold start? I feel like sometimes it can take 5 minutes before RPMs drop to normal.

Edit: Suppose I should add i'm west coast and rarely see tempts below low 40s Fahrenheit outside unless I drive to them.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Somewhat on topic as this helps confirm what i've read about the similar noise I have, how long is it normal to see higher RPMs on a cold start? I feel like sometimes it can take 5 minutes before RPMs drop to normal.

Edit: Suppose I should add i'm west coast and rarely see tempts below low 40s Fahrenheit outside unless I drive to them.
No more than a minute for me. WI typical late summer temps.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Hmm.. I've had the car inspected several times and told it's normal, but I find dealers will also tell you noisy lifters and and such are normal too unless there is an upsell on an additive for them.

Mine lasts 2-4 minutes, suppose I'll have to time it after it's been sitting 12+ hours. I have a car port and the way my building faces the engine never sees direct sunlight, but i've noticed even after driving it in the morning for 30+ minutes and then parking it for a few hours I'll have increased RPMs for at least a minute or so on start up when it's still 70+ ambient outside.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You can quiet the sound with the product linked below. Yes it's expensive but it works. It does not change viscosity. It simply coats moving parts reducing friction.

https://www.cermastore.com/engine-treatment-gas-and-diesel-autos.html#:~:text=Cerma STM-3 Treatment actually,performance and improving gas mileage.&text=Cerma STM-3 effectively optimizes performance while reducing friction and wear.
For a second I thought you were going to link a bottle of something Lucas makes hah. Have you personally used this, and was it for startup reasons? High price for a one time treatment that lasts, vs buying a bunch of little treatments every oil changes I can justify. Haven't heard of them, but will check it out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For a second I thought you were going to link a bottle of something Lucas makes hah. Have you personally used this, and was it for startup reasons? High price for a one time treatment that lasts, vs buying a bunch of little treatments every oil changes I can justify. Haven't heard of them, but will check it out.

Those bunch of little treatments every oil change do nothing to friction coat parts. Yes I've used it for years on several different cars. I even bought a bottle for Twist with the promise that he would pay me back if it worked. He paid me back. I use Cerma oil also.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Nice. They also have a turbo additive. Think I might pick up those two and give their oil a shot, Phoenix gets pretty hot compared to here. (y) Thinking about picking up an extractor as my stands won't be here for a month or two. Figure i'll drain the pan next change.