GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brake ducting solution

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Not satisfied with "just" the RS3 ducts, I got some 2" brake ducting, and some aluminum flanges and did this back in September.

IMG_20190919_225404 by Jesse Naughton, on Flickr
IMG_20200706_175513 by Jesse Naughton, on Flickr
IMG_20200706_175557 by Jesse Naughton, on Flickr
IMG_20200706_175845 by Jesse Naughton, on Flickr

I think this routing will only work for the GTI, because the R has more crap in the way. Maybe if you get creative. Also, I think 2.5" could pretty easily work, but I think 3" would be hard to get the routing without being too close to the accessory belt.

The ducting was from Pegasus racing, and the flanges were from here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ductflanges.php

It's not perfect. I still need to trim away most of the the dust shields, so some of the air is certainly just hitting the back side of the shields. With a quick shot of black spray paint, wouldn't be too noticeable either.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There are several thoughts on this, & I would opt for removing those hoses & placing into the splash shield...

Leave the RS3 ducts to direct air to the calliper/hub inner disc area...& then cut a hole in the splash shield, mount one of those air duct metal flanges to the back of the splash shield & then your hoses to the the flange...so two separate lots of air flow.....the hose mount like this:-

https://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm

APR make some nice carbon fibre shields..
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-r...rear-brake-ducting-apr-brake-shields-1091140/

It what they do in racing have an enclosed ducted splash shield

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-...piston-heat-shields-not-so-hot-setup-1481342/

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I like it! think i've seen something similar before. Gotta ask, wouldnt it all make noise as the hoses get jostled around when the control arms are miving going over bumps and stuff?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
There are several thoughts on this, & I would opt for removing those hoses & placing into the splash shield...

Leave the RS3 ducts to direct air to the calliper/hub inner disc area...& then cut a hole in the splash shield, mount one of those air duct metal flanges to the back of the splash shield & then your hoses to the the flange...so two separate lots of air flow.....the hose mount like this:-

https://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm

APR make some nice carbon fibre shields..
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-r...rear-brake-ducting-apr-brake-shields-1091140/

It what they do in racing have an enclosed ducted splash shield

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-...piston-heat-shields-not-so-hot-setup-1481342/

Yeah, that's essentially what I think... getting the termination of the ducts closer to the splash shields.

My concern is that, as opposed to the S2000, our calipers on the front of the rotor, and there's an axle in the way that needs to articulate. I'm not confident I can get a routing layout that can get around to the "back side" of the rotor where there's a lot more room for an inlet on the dust shield.

And this is still primarily my daily driver, so there's a limit to the craziness I'm willing to do.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I like it! think i've seen something similar before. Gotta ask, wouldnt it all make noise as the hoses get jostled around when the control arms are miving going over bumps and stuff?

I haven't noticed any. The piping is quite flexible, so it just articulates along with the LCA.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nice work. I'm about to do something similar on my mk6 but I'm going to delete the fog lights and make a shroud to fit in there

As we say "proper job"...(y)

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Nice work. I'm about to do something similar on my mk6 but I'm going to delete the fog lights and make a shroud to fit in there

If there was some nice integrated solution for that, or if this car became a primarily track based car, I'd definitely do that. Post some pictures when you've started.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
If there was some nice integrated solution for that, or if this car became a primarily track based car, I'd definitely do that. Post some pictures when you've started.
There's a company called versus that makes a kit but they want some insane price, think it was around 600 LOL NOPE
I'll likely be around $100 all said and done. I'll post pics when I do it

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, that's essentially what I think... getting the termination of the ducts closer to the splash shields.

My concern is that, as opposed to the S2000, our calipers on the front of the rotor, and there's an axle in the way that needs to articulate. I'm not confident I can get a routing layout that can get around to the "back side" of the rotor where there's a lot more room for an inlet on the dust shield.

And this is still primarily my daily driver, so there's a limit to the craziness I'm willing to do.

Just off the top of my head....

Route the hoses high exiting the engine bay to the back inner side of the damper/spring...aim for fastening the hose to the underside of the spring platform...then bend hose around the underside of the spring platform until to reach the flange in the splash shield which would be in the top half.....

the hose can be rigid with no movement required whilst it is cable tied etc to the damp under the spring platform....the only movement required is in/out & updown where it leaves the damper & goes into the engine bay..

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Just off the top of my head....

Route the hoses high exiting the engine bay to the back inner side of the damper/spring...aim for fastening the hose to the underside of the spring platform...then bend hose around the underside of the spring platform until to reach the flange in the splash shield which would be in the top half.....

the hose can be rigid with no movement required whilst it is cable tied etc to the damp under the spring platform....the only movement required is in/out & updown where it leaves the damper & goes into the engine bay..

The frame/serpentine belt are going to interfere on the right side I believe. Especially if I try to go-to a larger duct.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The frame/serpentine belt are going to interfere on the right side I believe. Especially if I try to go-to a larger duct.

Just shift the engine over..easy job!...:ROFLMAO:

(sorry couldn't resist on how to turn a simple job into a highly complex overhaul!)