GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mwoodski's 2017 GSW 4mo (mOd LiSt in post #1 as of Oct 1, 2023)

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
CURRENT MODIFICATION LIST AS OF OCT 1, 2023

BRAKES :

- 312mm brake conversion
- Stoptech slotted rotors
- Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads

CHASSIS :
- Racing Line Rear Body Brace

ENGINE :
- Integrated Engineering Intake and Turbo Elbow
- Racing Line Oil Drain Plug
- Porsche Macan engine cover

EXTERIOR :
- e-Golf Front Grille w/ modifications
- BEC Golf R style headlights with LED bulbs
- e-Golf rear hatch VW badge
- Debadged "TSI" and "4Motion" badges
- Black mirror caps
- Dynamic Mirror Signals
- Them Blue Convex Mirror Joints
- Golf R Variant rear window side spoilers
- Side rain visors

INTERIOR :
- Golf GTE shift knob and boot
- Narita Dog Fight interior rear view mirror

SUSPENSION :
- Racing Line Golf R Variant lowering springs
- KONI adjustable shocks and struts

WHEELS/TIRES :
- 18x8.5 Rays Gram Lights 57DR
- 235/40R18 Yokohama ADVAN Apex V601

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey y'all, long time listener, first time poster.

I purchased a 2017 GSW 4motion in February of 2021 to replace my 250k mile Civic Hybrid as a daily.

Second day of ownership:
1667357959167.png

I immediately purchased dynamic mirror signals, Golf R rear window spoilers, and a used set of BEC Golf R style headlights for it.
1667358031501.png

1667358055228.png

1667358220555.png

1667357762854.png

I've daily driven it like that pretty much ever since. I've started to collect parts for it recently though that will be installed in the spring. They are as follows.

18x8.5 +37 Gram Lights 57DR which will be wrapped in 235/40R18 Yokohama Advan Apex V601 tires.
1667358089933.png

1667358112017.png

VWR Golf R Variant Lowering Springs which ill be paired with KONI sport struts and rear shocks.
1667358134921.png

Porsche Macan engine cover which I don't have a picture of.

Purchased and modified an eGolf grille just for the heck of it. Not quite a fan of it after modification, so I'll be sourcing a Bluemotion one in the future.
1667358175200.png

Other future plans include an IE intake, upgrading to 312mm front brakes(while also getting GTE front calipers bc I like the blue), upgraded rollbars, possibly a chassis brace or two, a full Golf R variant exterior conversion(excluding badging and grille) converting all of the dash trim/shift boot over to eGolf trim, and once the CPO warranty is up, an IS20 with an ECU and DSG tune.

Also! If anyone has a set of blue stripe Eds/Helix/BCE headlights that they're looking to get rid of PLEASE let me know!

Last edited:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Added some LED H7 bulbs to my low beams because the halogens put out absolute crap light.

Also made the mistake of looking directly into one of the LED bulbs before putting it into the headlight assembly while it was on to make sure I had it plugged in correctly and hoooo boy.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nice!....another GSW!!

I keep toying with a various GTE/BlueMotion/e-Golf front grilles, mainly for aero as they have a big impact....

Then I look at my classic bar grill....:love:

If I want to worry about aero, I should remove my mudflaps & drop from 225 wide down to 205 wide tyres also.......& that ain't going to happen!....

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Nice!....another GSW!!

I keep toying with a various GTE/BlueMotion/e-Golf front grilles, mainly for aero as they have a big impact....

Then I look at my classic bar grill....:love:

If I want to worry about aero, I should remove my mudflaps & drop from 225 wide down to 205 wide tyres also.......& that ain't going to happen!....
Depending on how inexpensive you could get one for I would 100% purchase a blue or silver stripe BlueMotion grille from y'all instead of buying one off of eBay or e-acca. ;)

Plus a set of GTE front calipers and carriers. ;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Depending on how inexpensive you could get one for I would 100% purchase a blue or silver stripe BlueMotion grille from y'all instead of buying one off of eBay or e-acca. ;)

Plus a set of GTE front calipers and carriers. ;)

Parts prices here have recently shot through the roof!!......

I need to either fit new calipers, or rebuild mine in the next two years..along with the steel hubs & various other suspension parts.....

I'll most likely do what I did on my previous VAG car when it was around this age.....remove all the front & rear suspension/brakes......all new OEM nuts/bolt/top mounts/bump stops/ABS sensors......new Koni active dampers with new OEM springs.....all new bushes Superpro or Powerflex....strip & paint all calipers/hubs/suspension....rebuild calipers with OEM seals...

Was quite a big project...well worth it as I had the car for 14yrs in total...& I intend to keep this at least that long if I can!

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Other future plans include an IE intake, upgrading to 312mm front brakes(while also getting GTE front calipers bc I like the blue), upgraded rollbars, possibly a chassis brace or two, a full Golf R variant exterior conversion(excluding badging and grille) converting all of the dash trim/shift boot over to eGolf trim, and once the CPO warranty is up, an IS20 with an ECU and DSG tune.

Love me a good wagon and hello fellow Connectican! If you're going to upgrade the turbski, why the 20 as opposed to the 38? just curious on your thoughts behind that.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Love me a good wagon and hello fellow Connectican! If you're going to upgrade the turbski, why the 20 as opposed to the 38? just curious on your thoughts behind that.
Just want a semi spicy daily but nothing too crazy.

I figure ~280hp is enough.

The goal is to basically make it a stock Golf R wagon.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Traded a set of wheels and tires I got for free from a buddy when I stored his car for a set of 16" steel wheels with 80% treadlife Nokian snows on them with Tiguan centercaps.

Gonna give the steelies a quick blast of Reflex Silver paint and run em in the Cold Months.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

From everything I’ve seen online (and you can probably ask @tigeo) the IS38 makes for a much better experience on the 1.8T.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

From everything I’ve seen online (and you can probably ask @tigeo) the IS38 makes for a much better experience on the 1.8T.

The 20 is a lot of fun and if you can get it used (~$300) it's the value leader here. I drove mine with the 20 for a year, great upgrade. I have the 38 now and I like it better, it's a bit more top end without really losing much on the bottom and is a smoother driving experience IMHO. The 38 isn't anything crazy so keep that in mind.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
The 20 is a lot of fun and if you can get it used (~$300) it's the value leader here. I drove mine with the 20 for a year, great upgrade. I have the 38 now and I like it better, it's a bit more top end without really losing much on the bottom and is a smoother driving experience IMHO. The 38 isn't anything crazy so keep that in mind.
Just worried a bit about potential lag with the 38 down low.

See you on the FB groups constantly, nice to figure out your username here, aha.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just worried a bit about potential lag with the 38 down low.

See you on the FB groups constantly, nice to figure out your username here, aha.
Ha! The lag comments are overstated and propagated mainly by folks who haven't actually ever driven both and just keyboard warrior based on dyno graphs. I don't know anyone that has done it and gone back b/c it "too laggy bro". It's not laggy, it just needs a few '00 more RPM is all...it's all transmission/gear choice driven but that doesn't mean you drive around wound out all the time which is what I read all the time again by folks that have never driven it...it's really not a big deal. To me, buying a new turbo, no way I'd do the IS20. Used, absolutely..it's a fun upgrade. Also keep in mind supporting mods. You can run either contrary to internet bro wisdom on a stock DP - APRs tunes both are non-DP files. Uni says you need a DP but I'm quite sure you can run a stocker and take the slight hit on power. IC is a nice to have if you want to beat on it. Intake is always a "not necssary but nice to have". It's not a big turbo.

dlav2757

Car(s)
17 SW 4Motion
Added some LED H7 bulbs to my low beams because the halogens put out absolute crap light.

Also made the mistake of looking directly into one of the LED bulbs before putting it into the headlight assembly while it was on to make sure I had it plugged in correctly and hoooo boy.
Which LED bulbs did you buy?