GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Musings on the Mk8 Golf

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
The OP posted it here probably because he has an R. I don't know why we needed another MK8 thread.

I agree. Most of us have MK7s and it's cool to have at least one MK8 thread here until ~potentially~ we purchase a MK8 R and then join the MK8 forum. Not much is happening over there anyways.

I definitely like the MK7 shape the best so far, compared to the last couple of generations.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Not a fan of that gloss black on the corners of the front, but could live with it.
The interior needed a refresh after all these years, and the digital dash is cool looking, but eliminating all hard buttons is going to get old really fast. Trying to adjust simple things like temp will require you to look away from road. Hope that auto braking works! haha.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Not a fan of that gloss black on the corners of the front, but could live with it.
The interior needed a refresh after all these years, and the digital dash is cool looking, but eliminating all hard buttons is going to get old really fast. Trying to adjust simple things like temp will require you to look away from road. Hope that auto braking works! haha.

Agree, I mean I can be open to the idea of it but most cats who have tried weren’t successful and ditched the buttonless radio, Honda Civic

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I am fine with the exterior looks even though its not to my liking. Interior without any physical buttons and overloaded technology (which ofcourse if the future) just kills it for me.

For more than a year, i was contemplating about buying a MK7.5 or MK8. I bought an MK7.5 before MK8 was announced and i am glad that i made that decision.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
To be honest, my biggest gripe is the 'connected' aspect of the car.

Also it's to be seen, but I don't think there will be a large technology advance in the MK8 R. Maybe a tune to XDS+, but likely the same E888 and similar turbo going through maybe a 6MT, but definitely the 7-DSG and the same ol Haldex system. Tweaked for a few more hp via a tune, but let's be honest most of us already started down the more power path for cheap.

If they did something like drop the Haldex for a hybrid where the gas engine is powering the front and the rear is powered by an electric motor, I would get excited, especially if the electric motor has some sort of torque vectoring.

Otherwise, besides cosmetics what are they planning on adding to the MK8 that the MK7.5 doesn't have?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My slight lack of total enthrallment continues; in addition to the central screen having that "just attached to the dashboard, but not blended in" look, like it is on the Tiguan, the lighting switch / touchpad (still gotta actually press so may as well have remained a switch) also has the "just attached to the dashboard, but not blended in" style. As I keep saying (really ?) I do want to like the Mk8 but gotta admit I'm struggling a tad, which is both slightly surprising and disappointing. :confused:....

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Otherwise, besides cosmetics what are they planning on adding to the MK8 that the MK7.5 doesn't have?

After Dieselgate - a lot of cheaper parts, provided by substandard suppliers, who have been beaten to death over every last penny of cost. I'm guessing there will be signs of cost-cutting all over this thing. Time will tell.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
After Dieselgate - a lot of cheaper parts, provided by substandard suppliers, who have been beaten to death over every last penny of cost. I'm guessing there will be signs of cost-cutting all over this thing. Time will tell.
My thoughts too ^^, I prob won't comment again on the Mk8 til I see, and drive, one in flesh (hurrah !) hopefully it'll be great but so far I'm reallly not sure it was worth the wait, or trading up to....

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Looks like the car has a fat lip and an overbite.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

Open the bonnet / hood on the mk8 Golf and there’s no longer a gas strut to support the bonnet / hood; the mk8 makes do with a manual bonnet / hood support. I really liked the gas strut - thought it was a nice quality touch.

I read somewhere that the gas strut is no longer fitted for safety reasons, as it apparently affects the way the new ‘bulging’ hood design behaves in a pedestrian impact.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
You're right from that angle that's exactly what it looks like.

think you mean underbite. The main focus of the mk8 is being all digital, that is where all the focus went it seems. However, I think it’s going to fail with this interior being all touchpads and sliders, reviews are going to ultimately be negative as history has shown when car companies try it. I just can’t see the overall consensus being positive and it won’t be. Who knows if they will stick with it for the refresh but the mk9 definitely won’t I don’t believe.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
think you mean underbite. The main focus of the mk8 is being all digital, that is where all the focus went it seems. However, I think it’s going to fail with this interior being all touchpads and sliders, reviews are going to ultimately be negative as history has shown when car companies try it. I just can’t see the overall consensus being positive and it won’t be. Who knows if they will stick with it for the refresh but the mk9 definitely won’t I don’t believe.

I’m UK based and planning on getting a new Polo GTI next year, before it’s refreshed / face lifted - probably in 2021.

Currently, the Polo has real buttons and switches for heating, ventilation and A/C, an on/off knob for the infotainment unit and the traditional rotary knob for lights, but I can foresee (and fear) it going in the same direction as the mk8 Golf - all touch pads and sliders. I’m old school, and prefer physical controls for the main functions in a car that can be used in relative safety while on the move without having to divert your eyes from the road ahead to focus on a touch screen.